Britain's Queen could be asked to suspend parliament on Wednesday: BBC journalist

webfact

2 minutes ago, JamesBlond said:

Here's a definition for you:

Britishness: a thousand years of mad monarchs, the legacy of Agincourt, Poitiers and Waterloo, two World Wars and all the others, the travails and triumphs of the empire and the industrial revolution, Shakespeare and Austen and Wordsworth, Newton and Darwin, all the pioneers and explorers who made the place great; England is country lanes and stately homes, cathedrals and crumbling castles, duck ponds in Hardyesque villages, the White Cliffs and the White Horse, church bells on Sunday mornings, bluebells in spring, the wind in the willows, sheep on the common, sausage rolls and pork pies, fish and chips on the prom, rain on holidays, football, messing around in boats, George Formby, Dad’s Army and the Two Ronnies, Vera Lynn and the Beatles, The Queen on Christmas Day, freckle-faced kids, prim aunts and bluff uncles, horses and bulldogs, Sherlock Holmes and Watson, Tom Brown's schooldays, Swallows and Amazons, Pooh sticks, wry idioms, ribald humour and teasing, a unique gentility and forthrightness, the squire having a warm pint in a country pub. And perhaps above all, decency, honour, and grace in adversity.

If you don't recognise all of that in your heritage, you're not British.

Sorry, I did not notice that the last 2 posts I respondet too, were both yours.

So, you don't like women because they are not "proper British".

What about hooligans?

What about immigrants, old (the colonies!) and new?

What about that trotskyite Corbyn?

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Basil B said:

MP's have a duty to act in the best interest of the country...

Many would say ignoring a democratic referendum is not in the best interest of the country, especially when the voters were promised that their vote would be respected, also it would not be in the interest of democracy. The only people that could possibly argue againgst this are people that don't believe in democracy and/or the vote did not go the way they wanted.

4 minutes ago, david555 said:

All past things …… what about future ones …. and please forget present one as it's the laughing stock of the world now and even on his way to having a dictator as PM. 

I take it you are not properly British then.

The past is in us, that's that's the point, and those things are not all past things - read again. And if you are now trying to redefine Britain according to what...? a multi-cultural perspective? - that's exactly why Britain needs to take control of its destiny before it is utterly ruined.

Brexit is fundamentally a cultural issue, try as they will to drag economics into it. The economics will sort itself out. There are more important things, actually, than money.

54 minutes ago, Rotweiler said:

I really do wish the darn Brits would take their problems back to their homeland with them - not here.  The rest of us frankly don't give a rodent's behind.

This forum has an international component. Nobody forces you to read it.

11 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Sorry, I did not notice that the last 2 posts I respondet too, were both yours.

So, you don't like women because they are not "proper British".

What about hooligans?

What about immigrants, old (the colonies!) and new?

What about that trotskyite Corbyn?

Well, the test I provided applies. I think it's pretty obvious which one of those groups is ruled out.

As to women, you'll have to excuse the generalisation but my direct experience is that in business they are on the whole bad leaders - emotional, flaky, dithering. Politics especially requires toughness, and when women try to do tough, like Thatcher, they tend to overdo it.

The closing of parliament is vital.  The has been the longest sitting of Parliament for over 300 years. Nothing as been achieved with Brexit. 3 wasted years and legislation on the NHS, HS2, Crime, Law reform etc etc has not just been neglected but hardly debated due to the obduracy of anti democratic elements in Parliament. Johnson has done the right thing. The democratic thing. Something which could lead to a new election or a vote of no confidence,  neither of which BJ is guaranteed to benefit from. Either way it has put the self serving anti democrats on the back foot.

4 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

The closing of parliament is vital.  The has been the longest sitting of Parliament for over 300 years. Nothing as been achieved with Brexit. 3 wasted years and legislation on the NHS, HS2, Crime, Law reform etc etc has not just been neglected but hardly debated due to the obduracy of anti democratic elements in Parliament. Johnson has done the right thing. The democratic thing. Something which could lead to a new election or a vote of no confidence,  neither of which BJ is guaranteed to benefit from. Either way it has put the self serving anti democrats on the back foot.

If BJ comes back with a new deal how does he get it through Parliament in the time remaining

8 minutes ago, JamesBlond said:

The past is in us, that's that's the point, and those things are not all past things - read again. And if you are now trying to redefine Britain according to what...? a multi-cultural perspective? - that's exactly why Britain needs to take control of its destiny before it is utterly ruined.

Brexit is fundamentally a cultural issue, try as they will to drag economics into it. The economics will sort itself out. There are more important things, actually, than money.

Thank you James.

I have always thought that Brexit was about lebensraum, pureness of race, extreem nationalism, but never said this openly. 

I was ashamed to admit that I suspected you people of such things.

Now i realise I was right all along.

Again, thank you.

And no, I am not "properly British".

But I am proud of not being "properly British".

A quick estimate please: what % of the British do you consider to be "proper British"?

2 hours ago, Sticky Wicket said:

Britain's whole Constitution is based on a consent to rule by the people. 

The people must be heard and Brexit must be expedited

Completely untrue. It's based on Parliamentary democracy.

Never again do I want to hear the howling Brexiteers cries of "It's the democratic will of the people",  If we don't leave, it will be the end of Democracy, in the UK".

THIS is the end of democracy in the UK. Boris Johnson has killed parliamentary democracy. In November, effigys of him will be placed atop people's bonfires. He will go down in history as the man that did what Guy Fawkes failed to do. The wanton destruction of Parliament.

6 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

So.....why now? Why wasn't it done earlier? Why not after the 31st October? Is the timing just a transparent excuse to hobble parliament and to pave the way for a no-deal Brexit?

1 hour ago, Rotweiler said:

I really do wish the darn Brits would take their problems back to their homeland with them - not here.  The rest of us frankly don't give a rodent's behind.

Several of your 'us' spend more time on these threads than the people you're trying to troll.

3 hours ago, Sticky Wicket said:

Britain's whole Constitution is based on a consent to rule by the people. 

The people must be heard and Brexit must be expedited

And the people are shouting, where is the 6mil plus petition for a "No Deal Brexit"? a 1 mil plus rally in London for a "NO Deal Brexit"?

Just wait... There is going to be loads of protests the likes of you and me will have never seen in our lifetime.

1 hour ago, Mavideol said:

do you really think the EU gives a damn about BJ games I doubt, they have been clear on their stand

The EU is very concerned about the ramifications of the UK leaving the EU. It could lead to a change of direction or even the dissolution of the EU. Germany is in recession.  France's economy is unsustainable and the society riven with unrest. Italy mired in corruption and divided. Greece, Portugal,  Spain basket case economies ruined by the Euro. Many countries want out of Europe or a radical reform of Europe. Britain, as ever, is leading the way.

5 minutes ago, cleopatra2 said:

If BJ comes back with a new deal how does he get it through Parliament in the time remaining

How can Boris come back with a new deal, the EU has told him Mays deal is the only deal on the table and they are not going to re-open it. So your question is rather irrelevant, is it not.

2 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

The EU is very concerned about the ramifications of the UK leaving the EU. It could lead to a change of direction or even the dissolution of the EU. Germany is in recession.  France's economy is unsustainable and the society riven with unrest. Italy mired in corruption and divided. Greece, Portugal,  Spain basket case economies ruined by the Euro. Many countries want out of Europe or a radical reform of Europe. Britain, as ever, is leading the way.

But but but.... I was just told (about 5 posts ago) that Brexit has nothing to do with economics.....

2 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

"Many countries want out of Europe".

Name one other than the UK.

2 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

So.....why now? Why wasn't it done earlier? Why not after the 31st October? Is the timing just a transparent excuse to hobble parliament and to pave the way for a no-deal Brexit?

It was mooted ages ago. Why now? Meeting of the G6 had to be held first. Why not after October 31? Thats when we leave the EU. The closing of Parliament will help the process of Brexit by stymieing the rebels who are trying to subvert the democratic will of the people. 

2 minutes ago, vogie said:

How can Boris come back with a new deal, the EU has told him Mays deal is the only deal on the table and they are not going to re-open it. So your question is rather irrelevant, is it not.

BJ letter says the reason EU not renogatating is the fact Parliament opposes No Deal. Thus he has removed Parliament to allow tbe EU to renogatiate

Just now, sunnyboy2018 said:

It was mooted ages ago. Why now? Meeting of the G6 had to be held first. Why not after October 31? Thats when we leave the EU. The closing of Parliament will help the process of Brexit by stymieing the rebels who are trying to subvert the democratic will of the people. 

You have a link for when it was mooted? Because seems to me, it's come as a big surprise.

3 minutes ago, vogie said:

In negotiations people say things then change. It aint over till the fat lady sings. If May had done this 3 years ago we wouldnt have to do it now. Three wasted year of ineffectual,  incompetent dithering and kow towing to un enelected bureaucrats.

10 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

‘Britain, as ever, is leading the way

Thanks for a good laugh. Ignorance is a bless, you are the living proof.

I can see post Brexit Britain now. Cultural Police will be patrolling the streets making sure people are behaving in a "proper British" way. Jail time if caught eating cucumber sandwiches without the crust cut off.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, stuandjulie said:

Yep H2S looking like being cancelled, not the 20,000 extra police promised, pound still falling, trying to suspend parliament on the sly.

Doing a great job.

That is only the start, I have just read in 'Der Spiegel' that the EZB expects that 24 banks from the UK will transfer part or all of their operations to Europe bringing one Billion Euros to the Euro zone. This should strengthen the Euro but weaken the pound, something the EZB doesn't want. 

Just now, soalbundy said:

That is only the start, I have just read in 'Der Spiegel' that the EZB expects that 24 banks from the UK will transfer part or all of their operations to Europe bringing one Billion Euros to the Euro zone. This should strengthen the Euro but weaken the pound, something the EZB doesn't want. 

They've had 3 years for this malarchy which poses the question 'why now'..?

(Project fear - i'm having none of it!)

Archived