Bank Account

Gazillions of threads on this, have a look.

Some recommendations:

walk around

find a person to reference/sponsor you, who is already a BBL customer

choose a branch near where you might live

choose a branch in a major mall - they'e open more days/hours

Edited by mtls2005

Bangkok Bank is very likely to require a letter from the US Embassy to even consider opening an account currently in my experience.  And even then it may be hit and miss.  Seems to have become much harder recently.  But tourist or main office location would likely be best place to start - try, try again seems to be the mantra.  

19 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Bangkok Bank is very likely to require a letter from the US Embassy to even consider opening an account currently in my experience.  And even then it may be hit and miss.  Seems to have become much harder recently.  But tourist or main office location would likely be best place to start - try, try again seems to be the mantra.  

I have had a standard basic BB account since 2005 when at that time nothing other than a PP and your money were all that was needed. I wanted to open another account same branch and was told need a Embassy letter mattered not that I already had 1 account with them. Went to K bank and opened account no problem PP and money all that was required 

I opened an account at Bangkok bank some months ago. They required a legalized copy of my passport. My consulate gave that to me. Account opening took about 15 minutes. Later I found out that internet banking did not work. I went back, and they told me that I could get internet banking only with a 1 year visum. Something I don't have. I went there with a tourist visum. I do have a 1 year rental contract, but that was not enough. This happened in Bangkok bank on Sukhumvit between Nana and Asok.

I don't understand. They gave me a bank book and a Mastercard (debit). Why not give internet banking too ?  Some things in Thailand I don't understand. For me the account is useless without internet banking.

About half a year ago I opened an account with Krungsri bank (Tesco Lotus at On Nut BTS). Its a nice bank. They required a 1 year rental contract. They really focused on that. After 3 bank employees confirmed that it was really a ONE year contract they gave me the account. Bank book, internet banking and a debit Mastercard.

I heard from someone else that he opened a Bangkok bank account in CM with a tourist visum and they gave him internet banking, a debit mastercard and a bank book. It seems that rules are different in different cities.

So if you go to Bangkok bank and they agree to open an account for you also ask if it includes internet banking...

Edited by dimitriv

4 minutes ago, dimitriv said:

I opened an account at Bangkok bank some months ago. They required a legalized copy of my passport. My consulate gave that to me. Account opening took about 15 minutes. Later I found out that internet banking did not work. I went back, and they told me that I could get internet banking only with a 1 year visum. Something I don't have. I went there with a tourist visum. I do have a 1 year rental contract, but that was not enough. This happened in Bangkok bank on Sukhumvit between Nana and Asok.

Assuming you end up getting a one year extension of stay, you could go back and re-request Bualuang iBanking. This worked for me. Otherwise go shopping for another branch, and obviously sort out the internet banking thing first.

SCB also allowed me to open an account and enroll in internet banking.

I recently opened an account at a Bangkok Bank branch in Pattaya. They wanted a residence certificate from the immigration (normally no problem to get it). But if I make an accident insurance with them no residence certificate is needed ???? So walk around and ask at different branches. 

4 minutes ago, Beggar said:

But if I make an accident insurance with them no residence certificate is needed

Yes, recall hearing about this option. Believe you have to pay in perpetuity, or until you make a claim.

Obviously the sales commission/bonus on the policy overcomes pesky internal documentation, legal and fiduciary requirements.

Would be nice if you could just offer that up instead.

• Like 1

Get a friend first they will be able to assist you,its better than going solo.

Kasikorn Bank (K-Bank) isn't as structured  although you might need a guarantor!

BKK BK -you will defiantly need a Guarantor preferably someone who works in the government!

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

Unless you are an early riser... or don't mind the queue.

Can't you do the business in any branch once you get the account?

Edited by jacko45k

Unless you are an early riser... or don't mind the queue.

There are restrictions on some of the activities that branches other than where the account was set up will let you do

Banking here is an everchanging list of criteria depending on the day and the clerk.....

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Bangkok Bank is a bit more restrictive re: doing business. Many activities require one to visit your opening/serving branch. For example, you need a new passbook. Other banks, like SCB, are much more accomodating.

Branches in malls tend to be open seven days, and yes malls open at 10:00, but stay open later. And these branches are even open on many holidays. And they may be easier to get to via public transportation.

In retropsect I wish I had followed this recommendation, which has been made by many, many, many others here over the years.

Obviously if you're mall-averse choose a branch which makes you feel comfy.

Edited by mtls2005

12 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Bangkok Bank is a bit more restrictive re: doing business. Many activities require one to visit your opening/serving branch. For example, you need a new passbook. Other banks, like SCB, are much more accomodating.

Branches in malls tend to be open seven days, and yes malls open at 10:00, but stay open later. And these branches are even open on many holidays. And they may be easier to get to via public transportation.

In retropsect I wish I had followed this recommendation, which ahs been made by many, many, many others here over the years.

Not so. I have accounts at Bangkok Bank and have got a new passbook at another branch. 

I closed one FD and opened a new FD account at the sub-branch but later found the account had been moved by them. A tax certificate certainly is done only where the account is based... now I have to visit 2 branches!

Mall Branches are convenient in that they open weekends, but seemingly open late.... there always seems to be a queue in front of Kasikorn in BigC-X when I go up the escalator. 

To be honest I don't need branch service much... ATM visits is about it. Update passbooks I do at a branch on my way into town.  

SCB seemed more difficult when I first came here a long time ago, so BB got my business, 3 accounts, 2 credit cards and good online/mobile banking.

Edited by jacko45k

7 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Not so. I have accounts at Bangkok Bank and have got a new passbook at another branch. 

Perhaps you are "Special"?

I have tried a few times, always re-directed back to my home branch. As recently as a month ago.

Again, I presented an option, not a directive. If it doesn't work for you so be it.

11 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Perhaps you are "Special"?

I don't believe so, perhaps you are. I had to have my passport I believe. (Maybe they have moved the account)!

I was pleased to get rid of the old one with Chelsea FC emblazoned all over it. 

4 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I was pleased to get rid of the old one with Chelsea FC emblazoned all over it. 

It appears you are talking about a debit card rather than a passbook - yes cards can now be obtained at any branch.

My experience in Pattaya:

Bangkok bank & krungsri bank require a certificate of residence.

In February 2017 I was at a bb branch, was about to open an account but changed my mind and opened one at Krungsri. Less fees......

Some recommendations:

walk around

Or you can give an agent some money and they will open an account for you. I love Thailand because everything can be done using money.

Sent from my Hi9Pro using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

6 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Assuming you end up getting a one year extension of stay, you could go back and re-request Bualuang iBanking. This worked for me. Otherwise go shopping for another branch, and obviously sort out the internet banking thing first.

SCB also allowed me to open an account and enroll in internet banking.

I heard that SCB only opens an account when you have a work permit. So I never tried. Did you get it without or ?

BKK BK -you will defiantly need a Guarantor preferably someone who works in the government!
What would the guarantor actually be required to guarantee, surely if someone opens a savings account you’re depositing funds, not borrowing, what’s there to guarantee?

I suspect you meant to say “definitely”?

As a matter of interest I opened an account with Bangkok Bank recently, no letters from an Embassy required, no certificate of residence, no insurance, no guarantor, no first born, just my passport and an initial deposit, I was in an out in twenty minutes with my account, a debit card and internet access.

Last year Bangkok Bank was too onerous for me with the paperwork,so I used Krungsri and couldn't be happier with the service. I use the branch in Emquartier. English spoken. They have private banking too.

13 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

I was in an out in twenty minutes with my account, a debit card and internet access.

But not all of us are such handsome man.  It took me Thai wife and two Embassy letters to open an account in just my name (had joint) two months ago.  First letter more than 30 days old and requirement to state specific reason for account.

Thai girl likes western man

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

As a matter of interest I opened an account with Bangkok Bank recently, no letters from an Embassy required, no certificate of residence, no insurance, no guarantor, no first born, just my passport and an initial deposit, I was in an out in twenty minutes with my account, a debit card and internet access.

Where did you do this and how much was the initial deposit ?  It seems they have different rules in different branches.

Edited by dimitriv

The goal was to ask a person who RECENTLY opened a bank account on a TOURIST VISA...Plus to get an actual bank branch.   Obviously, i can walk to every branch. I don't have a 1 year or 6 mo lease.  It seems crazy to sign a long term lease without having a long term visa n to rely on Visa runs.

On 8/28/2019 at 9:07 PM, mtls2005 said:

Some recommendations:

walk around

Actually there r ZERO posts on the actual bank branch willing to open account on a tourist visa without long term lease

On 8/28/2019 at 10:07 PM, dimitriv said:

I don't understand. They gave me a bank book and a Mastercard (debit). Why not give internet banking too ?  Some things in Thailand I don't understand. For me the account is useless without internet banking.

About half a year ago I opened an account with Krungsri bank (Tesco Lotus at On Nut BTS). Its a nice bank. They required a 1 year rental contract. They really focused on that. After 3 bank employees confirmed that it was really a ONE year contract they gave me the account. Bank book, internet banking and a debit Mastercard.

I heard from someone else that he opened a Bangkok bank account in CM with a tourist visum and they gave him internet banking, a debit mastercard and a bank book. It seems that rules are different in different cities.

So if you go to Bangkok bank and they agree to open an account for you also ask if it includes internet banking...

Why do u need internet banking? U can still transfer money into account right?