going to Bangkok for the day ?

22 hours ago, Longcut said:

Just claim that you were gone for 23 hours and 59 minutes. 

Yes, you have early-onset Alzheimer's, you were wandering the sois lost for 24 hours, and someone is impersonating you by staying at a hotel in Bangkok in your name; the dogs will confirm your story. See how that one goes down.

Edited by PerkinsCuthbert

I had to stay overnight in Bangkok because no flight could get me there in time for my appointment. 

I showed up as having stayed in another province in the Ubon immigration system. 

The woman man said I owed a fine because I was gone for over 24 hours. She walked me over to the sign that says “...over 24 hours”. I explained I was gone 15 hours, she pointed at the sign again. Then said it was my responsibility to prove I wasn’t gone more than 24 hours. 

In my opinion it's not very useful to contact or visit your provincial IO to get information on whether or not TM 30 is required for a specific case.  Because, sooner or later you need to comply with the TM 30 regulation anyway, regardless of the fact that it is utterly impractical.

So in order to avoid headaches and anxiety later, I would recommend the 'short pain' which is to register on-line for a TM 30 account.  Yes, applying is far from user friendly and does not work on all software systems.  And yes, it will on average take several weeks before your application is approved and you receive your username:password. And yes, it is not self-evident to fill in your data the first time.  But once it is set up, it is just a matter of minutes to upload your updated TM 30 when you return from a trip outside your province.

Obviously, if you do not have access to a computer (or smartphone), then compliance with TM 30 rules will be a real ordeal.

So, I do hope that in view of the storm of critique that the IO will listen and make it easier to comply, e.g. by relaxing the rules or making it not mandatory for certain type of Visa (just scrapping the whole thing would be losing face, so I don't see that happening). 

7 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

In my opinion it's not very useful to contact or visit your provincial IO to get information on whether or not TM 30 is required for a specific case.  Because, sooner or later you need to comply with the TM 30 regulation anyway, regardless of the fact that it is utterly impractical.

So in order to avoid headaches and anxiety later, I would recommend the 'short pain' which is to register on-line for a TM 30 account.  Yes, applying is far from user friendly and does not work on all software systems.  And yes, it will on average take several weeks before your application is approved and you receive your username:password. And yes, it is not self-evident to fill in your data the first time.  But once it is set up, it is just a matter of minutes to upload your updated TM 30 when you return from a trip outside your province.

Obviously, if you do not have access to a computer (or smartphone), then compliance with TM 30 rules will be a real ordeal.

So, I do hope that in view of the storm of critique that the IO will listen and make it easier to comply, e.g. by relaxing the rules or making it not mandatory for certain type of Visa (just scrapping the whole thing would be losing face, so I don't see that happening). 

I don't understand why you can't mail it.

3 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

I don't understand why you can't mail it.

You CAN mail it, but that would mean you have to send all the required documents EVERYTIME after your return from a trip to another province.  And that's of course not very practical.  But that's of course still better than having to personally visit your provincial IO every time.

1 hour ago, Martyp said:

Once the hotel has notified Immigration of your stay then it doesn’t matter. When the hotel has filed the TM30 then your address has changed to the hotel. When you arrive home your address will not change to your home until you file the TM30. The 24 hours has become a moot point. The 24 hours to report is based on the time you decide you returned home. 

So a guy could be walking along Pattaya Beach Road one afternoon and get chatting to a lady and decide to spend a couple of hours with her in a Pattaya hotel room, he'll need to show his passport to get the room, and reception will file the TM30. The guy checks out 2 hours later. So he should go immediately to Immigration to inform them that he's now living back at the same address he had 3 hours earlier, prior to having the shorty....????

22 hours ago, Longcut said:

Depart Roi et (ROI) by air @ 1100.

Arrive Don Muang  (DMK) @ 1155.

Check into hotel @ 1300

Hotel does TM-30

Depart Hotel next Day @ 0630

Depart Don Muang (DMK) @0830

Arrive Roi et (ROI) @0925

Am I required to fill out TM-30? Only been gone 22 ½ hours.  Will I need to keep my travel Itinerary to show to Immigration my next trip there? Just a point to show how ridiculous this is.

When you check in at a hotel or guesthouse,and they ask for your passport,then they will report you.

If they didn't ask for your passport,then they have no intention to report you.

Hence,you didn't leave your last address.

There are still many small hotels or guesthouses who never submit the TM30.

28 minutes ago, TSF said:

So a guy could be walking along Pattaya Beach Road one afternoon and get chatting to a lady and decide to spend a couple of hours with her in a Pattaya hotel room, he'll need to show his passport to get the room, and reception will file the TM30. The guy checks out 2 hours later. So he should go immediately to Immigration to inform them that he's now living back at the same address he had 3 hours earlier, prior to having the shorty....????

The type of hotel you will stay at with that girl will not ask you for your passport. ????

23 hours ago, jackdd said:

Because what they want is, that the last entry for you in their TM30 database shows the address where you currently are.

But the heading on the TM30 uses the verb "has stayed" so its not where you are but where you just have been - what good will that do if they are trying to chase you down - they'd always be one step behind wouldn't they?

"NOTIFICATION FROM FOR HOUSE-MASTER, OWNER OR THE POSSESSOR OF THE RESIDENCE
WHERE ALIEN HAS STAYED" it doesn't say " is staying"

Edited by khunbillmex
amplification

1 minute ago, khunbillmex said:

But the heading on the TM30 uses the verb "has stayed" so its not where you are but where you just have been - what good will that do if they are trying to chase you down - they'd always be one step behind wouldn't they?

"NOTIFICATION FROM FOR HOUSE-MASTER, OWNER OR THE POSSESSOR OF THE RESIDENCE
WHERE ALIEN HAS STAYED"

The translation is just not accurate. If you read the Thai headline it says "entering the place", so it's supposed to be done on arrival.

1 hour ago, Guitar God said:

I had to stay overnight in Bangkok because no flight could get me there in time for my appointment. 

I showed up as having stayed in another province in the Ubon immigration system. 

The woman man said I owed a fine because I was gone for over 24 hours. She walked me over to the sign that says “...over 24 hours”. I explained I was gone 15 hours, she pointed at the sign again. Then said it was my responsibility to prove I wasn’t gone more than 24 hours. 

If you know the surroundings, you can pick a small hotel/guesthouse where the reception doesn't ask for your passport. Hence,you never left your last reported address.

54 minutes ago, TSF said:

Just take a picture of the lady and explain the records of the two overlapping hotel stays to the IO.

40 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

What’s a TM30?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

The TM30 is the form by which the Thai Immigration Office keeps track of where a foreigner is staying.  Owners of hotels/guesthouses are required by law to ask for your passport when you check in, so that they can report that you are staying there.  But it applies for ANY LOCATION that you are staying, and the owner of the location has to report you within 24 hours of your arrival.  So it you live in the house of your girlfriend or rent an appartment, your girlfriend or the appartment-owner has to report you.  Reporting can be done in person at the provincial IO where you are staying, by mail or on-line.  

Although the foreigner is not responsible for reporting (it's the owner of the location where he is staying), he still can be fined or his extension of stay refused, when no TM 30 has been reported.  Obviously, all of the above is very impractical and often almost impossible to comply with (e.g. the owner of the place you are staying living in a different province, so that he is not aware of the trips you are making).  So it is recommended that you ensure that the TM 30 is done by your girlfriend/landlord otherwise you might get fined - or worse: your extension of stay denied - when visiting the IO.

23 hours ago, Jane Dough said:

Stay in a "man root" (short time curtain hotel) where no ID is required. Return home and no one will be any the wiser. 

You might even save money.....just don't tell the wife where you rested your head. 

Rooster

I"d rather stay in a woman root  hotel 

3 hours ago, NE1 said:

Jeeezus , we will soon need a re-entry permit to travel in country then return to our homes .????????

Good idea, that will come next. Foreigners need to get a travel permit before leaving their registered home.

Edited by Mak25

On 8/29/2019 at 1:22 PM, jackdd said:

Have you ever heard of anybody submitting form TM27?

Yep, I filed when I moved to another providence, along with a new TM-47 since my last 47 was in a different providence.

Again, it depends on your LOCAL IO policy. 

I file the big 3 personally each time I move - TM's 27 ( change of address - receipt in passport ), 30 ( as possessor, show lease and any deposit receipts IF required ) and 47 ( 90 day report )

Is the TM30 only for farangs ? Do Asians or South Asians have to fill the form too?  I feel like I am in a police state. Is Thailand a police state? Can anyone who has studied political science in University please tell us something.

Or perhaps some psuedo-intellectuals on this forum can do just as well if they just don't over do it.

14 minutes ago, ylmiri said:

Is the TM30 only for farangs ? Do Asians or South Asians have to fill the form too?  I feel like I am in a police state. Is Thailand a police state? Can anyone who has studied political science in University please tell us something.

Or perhaps some psuedo-intellectuals on this forum can do just as well if they just don't over do it.

To answer your question in full would take many pages so I will answer as briefly as possible - YES :shock1:

The good old days when we had freedom of speech and movement! if only we could go back! ????

Least our personal freedom isn't being eroded! - its for our own security! ????

40 minutes ago, edwardflory said:

I file the big 3 personally each time I move - TM's 27 ( change of address - receipt in passport ), 30 ( as possessor, show lease and any deposit receipts IF required ) and 47 ( 90 day report )

You don't file a TM28?

36 minutes ago, jackdd said:

You don't file a TM28?

Sorry typo...TM-28....but I did identify the form as  "( change of address )"

BTW, I have know of some offices that substitute a TM-47 for a TM-28.

Edited by edwardflory
addl info

On 8/29/2019 at 1:35 AM, Tanoshi said:

The problem is a hotel will file a new TM30 notifying he's in Bangkok.

The question is, does his local IO require a new TM30 when returning.

Under the current climate, I'd suggest he's safer to refile when arriving home.

What if he go for dinner time and come back early morning so let's say 14 hours,and he can prove it with ?...

3 hours ago, smedly said:

if this nonsense continues the waiting time at immigration will be so long you will have to join the queue again right after submitting a TM30 ????

Kind of like painting the Forth bridge... you'll never finish queueing