Smoking In Bars In Phuket

haymanpl

By law, it is illegal to smoke in any bar, restaurant, shop, public building and most public transport throughout Thailand. Many of these have "no smoking" stickers fixed to walls, panels and doors etc. As a non-smoker, in my local farang bar, I get annoyed when ex-pat smokers just walk in and light up without any consideration for non-smokers. When I asked my local publican (also a non-smoker) why there were no "smoking prohibited" signs at the bar, he replied I dare not display in case of losing custom!

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information

13 minutes ago, Scottie12 said:

Every bar in Phuket pays the BIB, myself and a couple of pals have the occasional pint with one who comes into our local to collect and he keeps us updated on what goes on.

Sorry, no.

Yes, many do pay, others operate 100% legal and don't pay.

Cigarette smokers have a hard time getting an erection and cannot perform as long in bed

Just say this a few times within earshot

Sometimes they tell you to shut up but you just look into those weak addicted eyes and continue lambasting 

If he does anything more he gets done and in the jail house so you cannot lose this one just bully him till he cries and goes home very easy to win against the weak boy

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Truthhurts said:

Only about a 100 times and know at least a dozen owners in bangkok and patts.

I have 3 properties in thailand so spend a large part of every year in the place. 

So in answer to your sarcy request I know 'here' very well 

Well you obviously know <deleted> about Phuket.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

I haven't missed anything. There's been articles in every newspaper and one lady from the Ministry of Health (if that's the name) emphasized there's no law against smoking at home. If you know how to Google you can easily find it. Don't believe everything you read in the first article about the subject in The Thaiger. Search and you will see that I'm right.  

6 hours ago, elgenon said:

The Japanese and Koreans are allowed to smoke in the Bangkok go-gos as well as the adjoining bar beers. How could they upset their big customers? Yes, some farangs go there and smoke too.

I saw Big Dogs ban smoking. You had to stand in the plaza entrance and smoke. Lasted 2 days.

Smoking is banned in bars and restaurants in Thailand. Enforcement is a whole other tomato.

I have been in Thailand since day one when they banned smoking, and I have been in hundreds of bars in many locations since then. Every bar I've been in have had ash trays behind the bar or somewhere else. I have been drinking with police men and other type of officials many times and all of them smoke while drinking. Every bar in my area have ash trays stashed away. 

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

I haven't missed anything. There's been articles in every newspaper and one lady from the Ministry of Health (if that's the name) emphasized there's no law against smoking at home. If you know how to Google you can easily find it. Don't believe everything you read in the first article about the subject in The Thaiger. Search and you will see that I'm right.  

I agree. When I read that article I remarked to my wife that this was nonsense. No way to enforce.  I only answered your post to inject alternative gov point of view.

On 8/29/2019 at 4:38 PM, Beggar said:

They could make a new law that forces that existing laws are enforced... 

5555. Which raises the question:

Who watches the watchers?

Though I admit that the circular logic would seem to appeal to the authorities here.

7 hours ago, Truthhurts said:

Only about a 100 times and know at least a dozen owners in bangkok and patts.

I have 3 properties in thailand so spend a large part of every year in the place. 

So in answer to your sarcy request I know 'here' very well 

Of course you do, & no doubt you speak fluent Thai.

Anyway, enjoy your holiday.

Have a smashing evening. ????

• Haha 1

On 8/30/2019 at 6:48 AM, MartiniMan said:

Cigarette smokers have a hard time getting an erection and cannot perform as long in bed

Sometimes they tell you to shut up but you just look into those weak addicted eyes and continue lambasting 

If he does anything more he gets done and in the jail house so you cannot lose this one just bully him till he cries and goes home very easy to win against the weak boy

Wow what a charmer you are, you must be real fun to go for a drink with, I mean just bully him, really?

[emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 8/30/2019 at 9:53 AM, swervinphuket said:

Same, starting at 1,500thb per month for a small bar.

I think the reason they allow smoking is because they don't lose customers and get away with it because they pay police however, i think the police may be forced to act if an official complaint is made.

5 minutes ago, Beggar said:

Do it the California way. If people smoke in the bar grab the fire extinguisher and extinguish all burning cigarettes. Then call the police (Please let us know what happened afterwards).

Good idea. I was thinking about taking video and images and sending them to http://www.1111.go.th/ but not sure they would do anything.

Does anyone have experience with http://www.1111.go.th/ 

The government intends to promote a peaceful society.

To contribute to the stability and health benefits of the Thai people

Either way, i think i would get banned from the bar.

Edited by haymanpl
  • Sad 1

On 8/30/2019 at 1:48 AM, MartiniMan said:

I bet those smokers get really intimidated when you pull out your keyboard and start typing out your threats!  ????

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...
On 9/9/2019 at 10:53 AM, haymanpl said:

Good idea. I was thinking about taking video and images and sending them to http://www.1111.go.th/ but not sure they would do anything.

Does anyone have experience with http://www.1111.go.th/ 

The government intends to promote a peaceful society.

To contribute to the stability and health benefits of the Thai people

Either way, i think i would get banned from the bar.

So the bar owner allows it and some of the customers want to do it, but because you don't like it, you think its a better idea to run to the police and grass the bar up than just go somewhere else and find a non smoking establishment ? Thailand used to be a fun place full of fun people. How the times are changing. You would deserve to be banned, no one like a grass!