LIVE STREAM: TM30 and how it will impact the lives fo expats in Thailand

27 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:

I'd Like to SEE You trying to TELL Them " That's The Law " Max.........YOU Won't WIN ..

Who got whose passport in their hand?

They don't care about exactly what the law says, rather that it gives an opportunity to put money in their pockets.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The hysteria which Immigration has created is ridiculous. 

The immigration Act doesn’t require the measures which are being insisted upon. Section 34 of the Act defines reasons for visiting the country, there are fifteen categories of people look at them; embassy staff, journalists, sportsmen, missionaries, number 3 is tourists, and ask yourself if you think that everyone on that list is treated as we are being treated. If not, why not?  Married people and retirees are not defined so must come under item 15, Others. 

Immigration are bound by 34(2) Immigration have also taken on 34(1) as their responsibility.  The means of doing this is to have us prove that we are not working by having us show adequate means of support coming from outside the country, this doesn’t prove unemployment status but could serve to demonstrate how other measures employed might be equally ineffective. 

34(2) Is provided for by the TM6.  and 34(3)(4) is provided for by another TM form. There is no distinction made in the Act between permanent residence and temporary places of residence. However Immigration probably allows for this in other categories of visitor who are given permission to stay for extendable one year periods, so why not retirees and married people?

There are no regional Immigration offices mentioned in the Act because they didn’t exist when the Act was written. also there are no longer refugee camps threatening the security of tourists.

What Immigration needs is a new Immigration Act which acknowledges the changed circumstances and allows for retirees and married people who are after all is said and done fifty per cent Thai,  to live normal lives.     

1 hour ago, Nong Khai Man said:

I'd Like to SEE You trying to TELL Them " That's The Law " Max.........YOU Won't WIN ..

How many times have you heard about Immigration trying to fine both the landlord and the staying guest at the same time? For me,never before I read it here. 

People will keep complaining and arguing the point about who's responsibility it is to file the TM30, but it ultimately falls on the foreigner to file the TM30 if the owner or landlord doesn't file it. Immigration isn't going to send out thousands of IM officers all over the country to attempt to get the hundreds of thousands of owners & landlords to comply with the law. It's too easy for IM to just wait until the foreigner comes in for a service, like a 90-day report or an extension and then require the foreigner to file the TM30 if he doesn't have a TM30 receipt in his possession. He will most likely be sent to the TM30 desk to file and will probably be required to pay a fine. Sorry everyone, but that is the reality...

People are just going to have to deal with it in their own way just like they deal with 90-day reports. I ended up registering online and received a user ID & password, so I can file from home.

At 15:30, they're saying Thai Immigration has backtracked on the subject of expat condo owner reporting. According to these guys, after originally saying expat condo owners would not have to TM30 report themselves, these guys are saying Immigration is now saying yes, expat condo owners, must report arriving/staying at their own property.

It is rediculous that a foreigner who has invested a large sum of money in Thailand in the form of a home has to report himself or herself more than he/ she does with the 90 day report and filling out the arrival card on return from another country. If he/she is staying at the same address why the need to report that. If he/she changes their address then the 90 day report will surely suffice or only in circumstances where they change address then have them fill in a TM28 and allow a month to comply. It would be sensible to allow for s household bill in their name or a letter from a juristic person to be proof of their address in line with other countries.
The people in the IO who decide what laws and procedures are required should have a better level of education, have travelled and lived in EU or US or similar, speak at least 2 languages fluently other than Thai with one being English and have a wider understanding of other cultures and IO systems. Common sense needs to be implemented in any IO but rules should be clear, fair and workable, the TM30 as is, is not workable.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I watched it.  I needed a good clean scrub after watching.  I felt a little dirty, a bit violated.  

So the TM30 is the responsibility of the landlord, but as these LAWYERS say, it will be addressed for you, that you comply with all laws while in Thailand.  That is double-speak.  It's the landlord's responsibility but YOU the foreigner are going to be judged as not following the law when the law doesn't apply to you.

They said it with a straight face.  I almost  wrote they said this without blinking, but that is out the window.
My friend on a ED visa left the country for the weekend and on return I told him that he had to tell his landlord to do a TM30. He told the landlord and the landlord said he was too much trouble and asked him to leave. Unheard of in any normal country but this is Thailand.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 hours ago, Nong Khai Man said:

Those guys that say that on here   mai pen rai    but for sure the ones that actually say that at immigration offices in an arrogant and challenging manner (which i am pretty sure it is despite the denials)....

These "this is the law" bunch are why immigration workers NOW dislike us so much.   No sense in trying to get this across to this bunch.   

On 8/30/2019 at 9:14 PM, 4MyEgo said:

Couldn't agree with you more about the last sentence, but the way I see it is, we all have a choice, and for now, we are set up online, and will wait to see what comes next, because while standing on the plank taking it all in and enjoying it, if push comes to shove, well, we might just jump, have money can travel anytime, backs are not against the wall, so the firing squad will miss out ????

Is it possible to get set up online if you are only leasing a condo, not the owner?

7 hours ago, wasabi said:

Is it possible to get set up online if you are only leasing a condo, not the owner?

I believe you can, however you must get that information from immigration, because the information varies, however I have heard that you may need the owners authority to report yourself on their behalf, e.g. if you have an overseas landlord who wouldn't know your movements, i.e. when you are travelling domestically or internationally and when returning for that landlord to do the TM30 reporting, however if you have Thai landlord who doesn't want to report you, then best speak to immigration.

We had concerns, both the wife and I went in, they sorted it, they want us to approach them, regardless of the stories you are hearing, although there might be some cranky ones out there that are under the pump with the extra work, but if they are wanting to achieve this "good guys in, bad guys" slogan, then you show up with a white surrender flag and say, hey, I am one of the good guys, don't shoot me ????

On 8/31/2019 at 2:29 PM, BertM said:

He will most likely be sent to the TM30 desk to file and will probably be required to pay a fine.

It's a serious abuse of authority to hit a foreigner up for the landlord's fine, and even worse to allow this to become institutionalised, when it's something for which the foreigner is in no way legally responsible. I'm pretty surprised that no one has challenged senior immigration officials on this point in any of the high level interviews so far. 

29 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

It's a serious abuse of authority to hit a foreigner up for the landlord's fine,

Or ask for payment to transfer stamps into a new passport, or payment for a certificate of residence without receipt, or take money to overlook monetary seasoning etc etc.

Challenge them at your risk I expect.

Archived