Marriage Ext Rejected - What are my Options?

6 hours ago, DumbFalang said:

LOL - on re-reading, 'Discuss it' does seem to contradict that she is Thai. I guess 10 years in the UK, 4 in Oz knocked a bit of the 'Thainess' out of her.

I think it takes about 25% of the time a Thai has been overseas, and has returned to Thailand, to fully re-enter the cult of Thainess. If your wife was overseas for 14 years then she will have just about regained all her Thainess in 3 or so years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spoon1967 said:

My advice, go visa exempt/tourist visa as an interim, sell some of that land (or take out a loan on it) that's seems to be a money pit, and raise the 400k, once seasoned re-do marriage visa, don't mention your "employed" self or not, ever again to immigration. 

'sell some of that [farm] land' - Ha, ha. Easy to say, hard to do. It is a buyers market in Thailand except there are no buyers.

Besides, many Thais have rural roots and love the family farm. They are not going to sell at any (reasonable) price.

Edited by Stevemercer

8 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

As a Brit there are no VOA options and tourist visa's are not issued on entry. Any entry into thailand without a visa would be the standard visa exempt entry.

Your future options would maybe be dependant on whether you can get the 40k income or 400k deposit in order, then start again. Entry, seasoning, extension etc.

I believe he is talking about a Non-immigrant O Multiple Entry Visa and leave the country every 89 days. 

5 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

'sell some of that [farm] land' - Ha, ha. Easy to say, hard to do. It is a buyers market in Thailand except there are no buyers.

That.....coupled with the fact that we don't own any farm land.

Things work differently up here in the mountains and we prefer to rent and keep life simple.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JohnOFphon said:

Been a long time since I did a tourist visa, but..if you enter at a border crossing. like Suvanket..isn't it a 15 day visa?

There's no more 15 days when do a landcrossing. Those ended years ago. Now you can only do two landcrossings in a calendar year = 2x 30 days.

1 hour ago, eric chappell said:

If I am British and married to Thai can I show in English bank account 40000 per month or does it have to be a mix of 400,000 and 40000 to get a marriage visa current I have a o vise.

The 40k needs to come into thailand every month or 400k needs to be deposited into a Thai account 2 months before you apply. I dont think you can do a combination for marriage extensions

12 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

I believe he is talking about a Non-immigrant O Multiple Entry Visa and leave the country every 89 days. 

OP specifically asks can he get a tourist visa on arrival or a VOA on arrival.

"My questions are - if I do the border run - would I be granted a tourist visa on entry even though I have lived in Thailand for the past 12 years?

If for some reason I did not get a non-O from Ho Chi Min, would I be granted a visa on entry if I flew in from Vietnam?"

8 hours ago, DumbFalang said:

I have been putting well over 40K into a Thai bank account I opened in February after finding out the usual income verification letter from the British embassy was no longer an option. My problem is that I am self employed and immigration simply cannot get their head around it. I am unable to verify where the money comes from. They keep insisting on a letter from a company verifying my income,  then for it to be verified by the British Embassy and then translated into Thai. Even if I had 400K to put in the bank - I would still have the same problem - no way of verifying where the income came from.

So provide them with a letter from your company president, you.  Simple.  Make up some nice letterhead.  Sign it with a alias if you want. Give them a phone number and have a relative answer the phone.  How would they know?  They love paper.  The more paper the more they like it.  Give it to them.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DumbFalang said:

Thanks Guys - I really appreciate your help.

So, let's say I can scrape 400K together and put it in my Thai bank. The problem is it will not have been in there for 2 months prior to the application (isn't that the requirement?)

I guess we could phone and ask.

Enter Thailand on a 60 days TR Visa. Then extend the visa 30 days at Immigration and at the same time start the conversion process from TR Visa to a Non-immigrant O based on Marriage at Immigration. It will cost 2000 baht. Now you need to deposit 400k in your account. After 60 days you apply for a 1 year extension and your money have been seasoned 2 months. Now you meet the requirements.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tifino said:

if you try come back as tourist, have you considered their online system will bleat that you have already too much time inside the country, in the previous 365 days?

Why would they block anyone coming in as a visa-exempt? I've thought of doing that, just to space out my in-and-out 90 day thing to integrate with my long-term travel plans. If asked at immigration why I don't have a visa (that isn't actually required anyway) I'd just explain that I'm planning to get one within the 30 days I'm graciously allowed to be in their paradise - but not in those words.

7 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Why would they block anyone coming in as a visa-exempt? I've thought of doing that, just to space out my in-and-out 90 day thing to integrate with my long-term travel plans. If asked at immigration why I don't have a visa (that isn't actually required anyway) I'd just explain that I'm planning to get one within the 30 days I'm graciously allowed to be in their paradise - but not in those words.

i wasn't talking of the requiring of any sort of visa; but only referring to the cumulative time in country aspect. 

if I had been the previous 350 or so days, living per se; then leave for a couple of days... and then, turn up back at Immigration Arrivals. I was simply perceiving the suspicion that would arise, after they see how much time one has already been in.

But, as you said at the end, the bit about using athe 30days productively as a form of grace period... then all is good!!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

OP specifically asks can he get a tourist visa on arrival or a VOA on arrival.

"My questions are - if I do the border run - would I be granted a tourist visa on entry even though I have lived in Thailand for the past 12 years?

If for some reason I did not get a non-O from Ho Chi Min, would I be granted a visa on entry if I flew in from Vietnam?"

He mentioned Non-immigrant O several times. And he will only get a 30 days visa exempt on arrival not a tourist visa. He should go for a 60 days TR Visa in Laos. Then convert it to a Non-immigrant O based on Marriage in Thailand.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Henrik Andersen said:

Don't fly to Thailand without cash money and not to meny stamps in passport I just got refused entry to Thailand they put me in a cell force me to buy ticket to lao and pay 800b for a cell 

They tell me I had to meny stamps in my passport 

Back in lao immigration say to me Thailand stamp in my passport I don't have money 

I show him 30000 b in cash my contact of apartment 14000 b pr months 

My income letter 100000b pr months 

Same I did I airport in Thailand 

He said Thailand is stupid 

Me and my lady have house in Thailand but now we just hate Thailand and stay in lao and here we feel welcome and here is so beautiful and clean 

But good luck to you 

Not sure why you are posting this story as a response to my post, I am not the one asking about visa's or entry into thailand.

1 minute ago, Peterw42 said:

Not sure why you are posting this story as a response to my post, I am not the one asking about visa's or entry into thailand.

And why did he complain when admitting he had a lot of entry stamps in his passport? Do it the correct way instead.

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, DumbFalang said:

I have been putting well over 40K into a Thai bank account I opened in February after finding out the usual income verification letter from the British embassy was no longer an option. My problem is that I am self employed and immigration simply cannot get their head around it. I am unable to verify where the money comes from. They keep insisting on a letter from a company verifying my income,  then for it to be verified by the British Embassy and then translated into Thai. Even if I had 400K to put in the bank - I would still have the same problem - no way of verifying where the income came from.

Did they actually say that in regards to the 400K or are you just assuming?  At Jomtien told if using the 800/400 they just want to see the money doesn't have to be from a FT (foreign transfer)  400 has to be seasoned 2 month from what I understand can use thereafter. Just need a letter from bank to verify the funds has been seasoned.

11 minutes ago, sumrit said:

Agents won't usually do Marriage extensions because they're not approved locally but are forwarded to the divisional office for approval.

Same with the Dependancy visas when having a Thai kid. It can take up to 4 weeks until approved.

1 hour ago, thailand49 said:

Did they actually say that in regards to the 400K or are you just assuming?  At Jomtien told if using the 800/400 they just want to see the money doesn't have to be from a FT (foreign transfer)  400 has to be seasoned 2 month from what I understand can use thereafter. Just need a letter from bank to verify the funds has been seasoned.

Does the 800 have to be seasoned? And how long does it have to be in the bank before applying for the extension?

4 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Does the 800 have to be seasoned? And how long does it have to be in the bank before applying for the extension?

The >800k method is for a retirement visa extension and has to stay in a Thai bank 2 months before applying and 3 months after. 

• Like 1