How many tourist visas before getting the "red stamp"

Depends on time between them. If they are basically consecutive with few days between each then you would run out of options at some point. If you extended each one = 90 days my guess would be 3or4 but its a guess. Remember you can obtain (depending on pp) visa exempt entries. You get maximum of 2 at border entries. Unlimited at airports but airports extremely risky after continuous stays.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

There is no way to tell. I basic thing is that they are closing the door for those who are trying to live in Thailand on tourist visas. It might be 1-2 or 3-5 some people get more than that. You just have to do like Clint Estwood said. Ask yourself: Do you feel lucky, punk? ????

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, mikey00 said:

I got a red stamp in Vientiane on my first try in January. After one in Penang and some border runs going through the airport.

So all up how long almost continuous before the red stamp. Also how did you get back into los. Also if you got that in Jan, you still in los? How

Edited by DrJack54

• 2 weeks later...

Okay. Well, denied a 2nd tourist visa in both Vientiene and Savannakhet. Very solid, emphatic, no go. Only "1 tourist visa allowed". I had no warnings stamped in passport. Tried in Vientiene to do a 3rd visa-exempt, no dice. 

Other countries may be different, but Laos appears it's not happening.

Ended up paying tea money and getting transit visa.

Edited by happysanook

2 hours ago, happysanook said:

Okay. Well, denied a 2nd tourist visa in both Vientiene and Savannakhet. Very solid, emphatic, no go. Only "1 tourist visa allowed". I had no warnings stamped in passport. Tried in Vientiene to do a 3rd visa-exempt, no dice. 

Other countries may be different, but Laos appears it's not happening.

Ended up paying tea money and getting transit visa.

Malaysians are exempt from the 2 border visa-free entries rule. Not sure if the exemption applies to only at the Malaysian border with Thailand or elsewhere as well.

3 hours ago, Caldera said:

In Vientiane or in Savannakhet?

Sorry to hear about your troubles and thanks for your report.

Both. Denied first in Vientiene (where they accepted passport, but returned next day with denial).

Then took overnight sleeper to Savannakhet and denied there too (didn't accept passport/application), pretty much right off the bat. Didn't really bother looking at bank statement or out of country ticket.

BTW, not that it should matter, but some people believe it does... I'm Caucasian American 44 years old. A bit of a beard, but not hippied out by any means.

Edited by happysanook
  • Thanks 1

If you used up your 2 LAND BORDER Exempts. And you go to Savannakhet.  Can you just apply for a Transit Visa so you can go back to Thailand and stamp in for 30 days?

I already have a "Too Much Visas" in my passport stamp from Savannakhet. So I know I won't be able to get a Visa.  But what if I just want to stay 30 more days and use the Transit Visa just to go back through the border, even though I already used my 2 visa exempts for 2019? How much does this cost?

21 minutes ago, acenase said:

I already have a "Too Much Visas" in my passport stamp from Savannakhet. So I know I won't be able to get a Visa.  But what if I just want to stay 30 more days and use the Transit Visa just to go back through the border, even though I already used my 2 visa exempts for 2019? How much does this cost?

I'd guess (guess!) that they won't issue a transit visa if they've already given you a warning stamp previously. I doubt anyone can answer this with certainty, it would be quite a risky move.

27 minutes ago, acenase said:

If you used up your 2 LAND BORDER Exempts. And you go to Savannakhet.  Can you just apply for a Transit Visa so you can go back to Thailand and stamp in for 30 days?

No guarantees, but someone at Savannakhet was recommended to get a transit visa. My guess it that you would get one (but not if you had one already). The cost is 800 baht. It allows a 30-day stay and is not extendable.

30 minutes ago, acenase said:

I paid some money to agency across the street with friend inside. Whether that was required or not, I don't know (eg, if went in and did it myself), but since I'd already been inside and denied for the tourist visa, I don't think likely they'd readily hand out transit visa without the extra help from agency, but I could be wrong. Anyways, it's done now. Paid 1500+800.

23 minutes ago, BritTim said:

No guarantees, but someone at Savannakhet was recommended to get a transit visa. My guess it that you would get one (but not if you had one already). The cost is 800 baht. It allows a 30-day stay and is not extendable.

Good info to know! So not extendable. 30 days only. I could do this, seems much easier for 30 days instead of pressing my luck with applying at Yangon.

It's one transit visa per passport or per year?

I'm not even going to attempt to apply for a tourist visa. Just the transit visa. Last time I went to Savannakhet they gave me a tourist visa, plus the remark stamp with it. So it was one and done.

Edited by acenase

9 minutes ago, acenase said:

Good info to know! So not extendable. 30 days only. I could do this, seems much easier for 30 days instead of pressing my luck with applying at Yangon.

It's one transit visa per passport or per year?

I'm not even going to attempt to apply for a tourist visa. Just the transit visa. Last time I went to Savannakhet they gave me a tourist visa, plus the remark stamp with it. So it was one and done.

I think this is a good move. Let me know how it turns out. Try without help first, but if they happen to deny, then see the dude across the road.

Its the amount of entries and time you spent in Thailand, but it's up to the officer.

If you stay 3 months and come another 3 months, its less dangerous than multiple visa exemptions.

But 9 months, and chances are you get pulled aside at the airport.

I had 3 TR visas (one not fully used) and maybe 4 visa exemptions until I was denied entry in DMK, even with a SETV from KL.

It was upsetting because I was entering Thailand as Tourist for the last time to get married... and the lady IO didn't even bother listening to my Thai girlfriend, which was travelling with me at that time.

That IO lady doesn't have the qualifications to be dealing with people... unlike some other officers there, which were humanly polite.

Try KL embassy if Vientiane said no.

Attach the required documents + bank extract showing money.

But like I said, even with that, you can be denied at the airport nowadays... so it's your risk and money.

53 minutes ago, peixotorms said:

Its the amount of entries and time you spent in Thailand, but it's up to the officer.

If you stay 3 months and come another 3 months, its less dangerous than multiple visa exemptions.

But 9 months, and chances are you get pulled aside at the airport.

I had 3 TR visas (one not fully used) and maybe 4 visa exemptions until I was denied entry in DMK, even with a SETV from KL.

It was upsetting because I was entering Thailand as Tourist for the last time to get married... and the lady IO didn't even bother listening to my Thai girlfriend, which was travelling with me at that time.

That IO lady doesn't have the qualifications to be dealing with people... unlike some other officers there, which were humanly polite.

Try KL embassy if Vientiane said no.

Attach the required documents + bank extract showing money.

But like I said, even with that, you can be denied at the airport nowadays... so it's your risk and money.

The word in Savannakhet is only 1 tourist visa allowed now, started just recently. Maybe it's random, IDK.