Thousands protest British PM Johnson's move to suspend parliament

rooster59

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

Sometimes it needs to be repeated as MPs and Remainers tend to ignore people like this guy or just dismiss him out of hand.

But it was an advisory referendum - you can't mandate that that people must do something when that something is a vague concept.  You can have binding referendums but only if there is a specific proposal - all the laws ready to be implemented.   

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

On 9/1/2019 at 3:24 PM, sanemax said:

Shutting down the democratic process , when that process is trying to undermine the democratic process .

This is getting confusing 

not really all johnson is doing is playing a mob who don,t recognise democracy and fair play at their own game, LEGALLY.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, johnnybangkok said:

This is the very definition of a straw man argument.

I am not discussing your feelings on Brexit. I'm not discussing how you feel slighted about those nasty Remainers talking down to you and calling you stupid and uneducated. That's obviously your own issues that you can handle however you want.

The topic in question is explained in the title of the news piece - Thousands protest British PM Johnson's move to suspend parliament. 

I am not arguing the validity of Brexit; I'm arguing why BoJo thinks it's ok to bypass our parliamentary democracy (you know, the one we've had going for centuries) to push through a no-deal Brexit. I'm also arguing how you Brexit fans who are so keen on democracy (you know, the referendum was binding - respect our democratic choice blah, blah) can now sit and defend him when he is literally undermining the very pillars of the UK's democracy. I get that you are frustrated. I get that you are losing patience. I get that you are unhappy with MP's and parliament, but that doesn't give anyone the right to steamroll over our parliamentary democracy in favour of what was an advisory referendum (please don't all start screaming about this; legally it was advisory no matter what Cameron said).

In your haste to get what you all want you are all literally throwing the baby out with the bath water and not even noticing there was a baby in there in the first place. 

If Brexit is to happen it cannot be at the cost of destroying our parliamentary democracy. That's MY point. 

ITS THE REMAINERS DESTROYING OUR PARLIAMENTARY DEMOCRACY,THATS MY POINT."legally it was an advisory"oh please play another record,so if remain had won they,d have been ok with "peoples votes" farage taking parliament through the legal process,etc etc?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

It is not treasonous to exercise democratic rights or to peacefully express opposition to Government

policy.

I’m not sure at all on what basis you assert ‘the populace wishes’, the Nation is deeply divided on Brexit, the existence of that division is hard evidence of that support for Brexit is not universally ‘the populace will’, not by a very long way.

yet the remainers i.e momentum are urging cival disobiedience,you remainers want to be carefull what you wish for,just imagine if momentum,sorry corbyn got in,wonder how "financial services"banking sector,and "the markets " will react to that? the road to hell is paved with good intentions.[or in the remainers case pig headed shortsightedness.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

19 hours ago, bannork said:

No. We don't commit financial suicide because we can't agree on a deal. We stay until we can agree.

whos the "we" its all this carry on that is ensuring the UK will not get a good deal as we are negoitiating from weakness not strength,financial suicide? enlighten us all.

16 minutes ago, kingdong said:
1 hour ago, sanemax said:

dont really understand what "playing a mob " means 

sent personal message

That's a pity. I also want to know, out of curiosity. 

I googled but only found this :

"Playing For The Mob,” the story of how mobster Henry Hill helped orchestrate the fixing of Boston College basketball games in the 1978-79 season." 

13 hours ago, kingdong said:

ITS THE REMAINERS DESTROYING OUR PARLIAMENTARY DEMOCRACY,THATS MY POINT."legally it was an advisory"oh please play another record,so if remain had won they,d have been ok with "peoples votes" farage taking parliament through the legal process,etc etc?

My point regarding referendums was a statement of fact, not an opinion.

Referendums in the United Kingdom are occasionally held at a national, regional or local level. National referendums can be permitted by an Act of Parliament and regulated through the Political Parties, Elections and Referendums Act 2000, but they are by tradition extremely rare due to the principle of parliamentary sovereignty meaning that they cannot be constitutionally binding on either the Government or Parliament, although they usually have a persuasive political effect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Referendums_in_the_United_Kingdom

12 hours ago, kingdong said:

hope this isn,t a wind up.playing someone at their own game,means engaging them using the same tactics as they,ve used against you,in this case it pertained to johnson engaging the "mob" [an apt description] of remainers who had a total lack of respect for democracy using their own tactics,and you know what? they don,t like it up ,em.

I gave him an answer and it was removed. I stand by it.

• Like 1