Transferring 2nd Hand Bike Into My Name

dsfbrit

I have my proof of Residence document and am planning to go to the Transport Office near the Regent's school on Tuesday.

I am transferring 'my' bike that has been in my Thai wife's name since new, bought in Pattaya, into my name.

There is no money involved. 

I planned to turn up with my passport, the bike log book, the tabien baan, Proof Of Residence letter and my wife.

I think that should be enough.

Is that correct?

Thanks for your help.

Johng - thanks for the reply

Oh dear, that is a bit of a nuisance, it is not working too well at the moment. Could someone please tell me if that is correct, 'cos I will have to work in the dark later to get it ready for tomorrow. Thanks very much for your help.

Edit:- it looks like if the bike is over 5 years old - it is - then they have to see the bike. No problem - it just looks like my Sunday evening has taken a turn and I will be working on the bike!!!

You could take it on the back of a pickup truck to the DLT...but if the tax is out of date and bike is over 7 years old they'll tell you to go get it inspected for "road worthiness" and renew tax before you can do the name transfer...there are "agents" right outside the DLT who may be able to "smooth things over"

Thanks johng, my edit to my previous reply agreed that you were 100 percent correct and I need to get the bike roadworthy before tomorrow. It is taxed, over 5 years old and just needs a few minor parts. A spark plug that works to start with and a tyre that has some tread on it. Not sure what else yet...

Thanks again for your help and saving me a wasted trip.

Yes 5 years for bikes 7 years for cars/trucks..I always get them mixed up

As for the road worthiness inspection the most they have checked (culminated over all checks ) on my bikes is... it starts,there is not too much smoke/noise from the exhaust,the horn works,indicating,front and rear lights work , engine and chassis numbers match the green book.

You'll first have to see one of these car/bike checkpoints where they test your RPM's in a way that your ears will hurt.

Then to the lovely department, but please never go on a Monday morning!

Your wife will need to sign copies after they're printed out. Just copies are not enough. I had to find that out the hard way.

It took me a few months to get what I needed, just because such a son of a bridge had lied to me about the documents and former owner who had moved to the US.

Three guys at the department had already given green light when a very youngish. perhaps 23 year old said no he wanted to see the copy signed after printed.

Please see attached docs. 

Ownership-transfer-form.pdf Power-Of-Attorney-For-Bike.pdf

IssanBiker, thanks for the reply. I read this after my reply to Johng. I think my transfer will not be as involved as this. I hope not. Thanks for the warning about a Monday morning. Yes, Monday mornings are a bad time to go anywhere. I may even go on Tuesday instead.

One other question, is it best to get it checked and the insurance done to tax the bike before or after it is in my name. The tax runs out later this month (September)

Thanks again for the help

About taking the bike with you.

I know when something with my bike registration was done the service guy used a piece of tape, put it over the frame number, and then he use a pencil to rub that frame number into the tape. Sorry, I don't know the technical term for this.

And then he took that tape with the visible frame number to the registration.

I don't know if that will work for you but at least that is a lot easier to do than taking the whole bike. Maybe just put such a tape with frame number in your pocket.

OneMoreFarang, thanks for the reply. I think I will take the bike in anyway. I will see if it passes its test as well and I will pay for the tax and insurance and get as much done as I can in one visit.

If I get problems, then I will sort them out as I go.

Thanks again for your help

1 hour ago, dsfbrit said:

OneMoreFarang, thanks for the reply. I think I will take the bike in anyway. I will see if it passes its test as well and I will pay for the tax and insurance and get as much done as I can in one visit.

If I get problems, then I will sort them out as I go.

Thanks again for your help

Smart move.  I believe the tape over the numbers bit would only be allowed for "Authorized" Registration / Inspection Service Centers who then take your paperwork to DLT for you (& you pay a small fee (200-300?) for their service of course).

Archived