windows xp upgrade to whats best?

bert bloggs

Windows 10 or 8.1 Update 3 are your choices for when it comes to Windows. So, Windows 10 Pro

What kind of computer do you have if you are still running XP? Do you know anything of the specification or the brand name and model number?

That way we can see if it is suitable for WIndows 10 in it's current form.

The fact that you are already suggesting taking it to a shop is concerning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, brokenbone said:

win xp was the best, keep it for as long as the computer works. i use win 10 now and due to endless programs and animations i experience micro lags that was unheard of on xp, even with just half the hardware

i would love to use xp but two things ,My British bank will no longer let you access your account on xp after the end of the month ,also cannot use a vpn

3 hours ago, JamJar said:

Windows 10 or 8.1 Update 3 are your choices for when it comes to Windows. So, Windows 10 Pro

What kind of computer do you have if you are still running XP? Do you know anything of the specification or the brand name and model number?

That way we can see if it is suitable for WIndows 10 in it's current form.

The fact that you are already suggesting taking it to a shop is concerning.

my computer is ok to upgrade i believe its an hp pavilion p6000 series model p6578  to  the 8.1 or10 ,why is it concerning that i would take it to a shop?  by the way i really dont need anything to fancy as i am not a computer buff .so something simple is ok for me .

5 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

my computer is ok to upgrade i believe its an hp pavilion p6000 series model p6578  to  the 8.1 or10 ,why is it concerning that i would take it to a shop?  by the way i really dont need anything to fancy as i am not a computer buff .so something simple is ok for me .

It means that it's a job that you should do yourself. Easier than you might imagine and you get to keep control over the process nor would pay over the odds for a job that they cannot do better than yourself anyway.

My suggestion would be to give it a try, following my instructions and if you get stuck, only then consider taking it to a shop.

I don't think you'll get stuck. You'll find that many novices here have done the same and are happy.

What I suggest is to simply pull the connectors of the back of your current hard drive and plug them into a new SSD. 10 minutes max. 

SSD cost perhaps from 750 baht. Then you can install Windows 10 Pro to the SSD. We'll show how to do that again easy peasy.

Then you'll have fast, clean and up to date PC and operating system.

Then we'll simply reconnect(we haven't removed it in the first step, just disconnected it) your original drive. So you'll have access to all of your old documents etc.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

i would love to use xp but two things ,My British bank will no longer let you access your account on xp after the end of the month ,also cannot use a vpn

Can the bank determine which operating system you are using, I think not. And a VPN is not needed to access a UK bank, but is better to use one.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, tfc said:

Windows 7 if you can't use XP anymore.

Windows 7 more difficult to install, as you'll need to find Drivers, plus that is also going out of support in January.

Plus many of the updates over the past few years have added similar Telemetry.

In addition, you'll have less of an argument if you are hacked and lose money when you tell them you are still using an unsupported operating system.

A bit dopey to be installing an outdated operating system for no good reason and equally so to suggest it without concrete reasoning.

Windows 10 is mature enough to be installed now. This is why you need to install it yourself.

If you allow it to install with the Defaults, it can appear completely different.

Make the right choices on install and there is substantially no difference in day to day usage.

I recommend following; https://fdossena.com/?p=w10debotnet/index_1903.frag up until LET IT DOWNLOAD ALL THE UPDATES for the average user moving from an earlier OS.

• Like 1

No offence but your pc is running Windows XP, I guess it comes with 1 or 2gb of Ddr2 ram. Nowdays most pc uses ddr4 and it wi be tough to look for Ddr2.

Windows 10 requires min 2gb but I think 4gb is bare minimum and I suggest 8gb at least to run things smoothly.

My old laptop which comes with win XP, Intel core 2 and 4gb ram ram managed to run Win 10 but the cpu is holding things down with only 2 cores.

Time to get a new pc?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, shady86 said:

No offence but your pc is running Windows XP, I guess it comes with 1 or 2gb of Ddr2 ram. Nowdays most pc uses ddr4 and it wi be tough to look for Ddr2.

Windows 10 requires min 2gb but I think 4gb is bare minimum and I suggest 8gb at least to run things smoothly.

My old laptop which comes with win XP, Intel core 2 and 4gb ram ram managed to run Win 10 but the cpu is holding things down with only 2 cores.

Time to get a new pc?

Sorry, but your assertions are completely misleading and quite wrong.

4GB will be more than adequate for the OP and for most other general usage.

There is not a problem in locating DDR2 RAM; https://www.advice.co.th/product/ram-for-pc/pc-ddr2

It is definitely not that your CPU having just two cores may be holding your laptop back. It's usually the slow spinning disk HDD that is the bottleneck. Fit an SSD and you'll see.

The amount of cores on the CPU has little to do with it.

3 hours ago, JamJar said:

It takes a minute to remove the side panel, so we'll allocate five minutes so that you can really take your time. Likely four screws.

Then you'll see the old hard drive(top right corner);

3.png.0b0e967a949bb8c39d638a1dcdc1654a.png

Another angle shown in this pic(top left hand corner;

4.png.3cfebb64a4e5e2d11eb055f9718843ce.png

You are not going to remove it. You'll just remove the two connectors from it and attach them to the identical connectors on the SSD.

That's it. No need to fix the SSD to anything.

Then you'll simply need to install Windows 10. Windows 10 installation is much easier than the previous operating systems in that you likely won't need to install any other Drivers.

That's it.

If you decide to go ahead, we will take it step by step.

SSD perhaps 750 baht dependent of how much capacity you would like. Windows 10 Pro key, perhaps 100 baht.

Actually only one screw to remove the side panel.

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c01684297

It will actually take you longer to unplug the PC and to plug it back in, than it takes to take the side off and swap the leads to the SSD. As far as I know, it already has 4GB of DDR3 RAM installed. So you won't need anything other than the Solid State Drive to get the best out of your PC.

But we should properly identify the PC before we move forward. 

All in all, a potentially quick and easy job for you.

4 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

What bank is that? Can you provide a link?

Edited by katana

1 hour ago, katana said:

Yes, I do. Don't tell me what I can or can't post here.

I actually meant...are you really not intelligent enough to understand why?

But it seems that you have answered that question in both of your posts. 

To paraphrase Bill Clinton; "It's the Browser, ******."

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, katana said:

Yes, I do. Don't tell me what I can or can't post here.

Since we can post anything, I could also ask why do you need to know. As, if it were your bank, you would already know.

So can we get back to the topic now or do you still want to talk about bankers?

8 hours ago, JamJar said:

Forget about the nonsense of recommending Linux to people without any experience.

It was a joke since I was recommending the 2 most difficult Linux distribution for a begginer. However, I do install Linux (Ubuntu, Mint or Lubuntu) often to people without experience that have old PC or require only a Web browser and no Windows specific software.

Believe it or not they need less support than on Windows once I explain to them how to use the package manager and how to find the program launcher. They often also save a lot of money since they don't need to upgrade to a new pc. 

Edited by Tayaout
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

It was a joke since I was recommending the 2 most difficult Linux distribution for a begginer. However, I do install Linux (Ubuntu, Mint or Lubuntu) often to people without experience that have old PC or require only a Web browser and no Windows specific software.

Believe it or not they need less support than on Windows once I explain to them how to use the package manager and how to find the program launcher. They often also save a lot of money since they don't need to upgrade to a new pc. 

In this case he doesn't need a new PC either. But it make sense to take the opportunity to move to an SSD, since a clean install is on the cards. 

You can have issues with Broadcom Drivers even with the 'easy' Linux choices.

Edited by JamJar