I Finally Found the Best Place to Live in Thailand

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok, I've read the OP, and many of the comments and suggestions. just wanted to wish you the best of luck. 

also just wanted to put my 2 cents in. do you really need the cash ? there's a mention of renting it out, an income for relatives of yr wife ? has she children ? maybe nice to keep it for that and as a place to stay on extended future holidays ?

once again, best of luck bob

11 hours ago, BradinAsia said:

Bobsuncle, good luck on your nomadic life in America. We just did that for 8 months -- moving every two weeks between RV parks and state parks, seven months in Florida, then cross country to Colorado, and a month in Colorado. We saw a lot of nice places, but it nearly bankrupted us. Over and above the $25k cash for the travel trailer and F-150 tow truck, we spent over $5,000 per month

F150 truck and full trailer is not what he needs, OP said he will be traveling US alone, so all he needs is a van. A van is so much more flexible than a trailer and a truck, van can go anywhere, it is same as driving a small car. RV is very different than driving and living in a van. 

I have never traveled in a van in USA, but I do in Europe, and living in Spain, Portugal is not more than 1000 EUR per months, alone, of course. It can be done nicely for much less. Unless traveling in USA is much more than Southern Europe, I can't see how to spend 5000 USD every month. 

OP's plan to travel US in van is excellent idea, check out different places, freedom that car gives is so much better than sitting in one place, and waiting for weather to change.  

5 hours ago, Yinn said:

Near Khok Kloi Phangnga. Not Phuket.

Not Phuket tourist prices. Cheaper than Pattaya tourist prices I think. 

No farang restaurants (I think, never see). 

Khok Kloi is a very dull place (in my opinion). There is one restaurant about 1k before coming into the town and one restaurant on the beach road just before the Aleenta Hotel, It has 3 massage places but no naughty stuff. One hotel opposite Lotus, but its quite old.

Anyway not my cup of tea, but maybe what others are looking for in life. Cheers.

Forgot to say there are some lovely deserted beaches on the Phangna beach near KK....even clean sand.

4 hours ago, thainet said:

Forgot to say there are some lovely deserted beaches on the Phangna beach near KK....even clean sand.

sounds great, must remember to stop off there when next passing. sounds like the last utopian heaven in Thailand. you and @Bobsuruncle have sold the area to me. 

yes I am serious.

I am 140k east of Udon Thani. 110k nw Of Sakon Nakhon. Traffic lights are spaced 25k apart. Go to a town every 6 weeks. Great friends here. We live on 18 Rai. My piece of paradise. Hoops are easy enough to jump through.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

16 hours ago, rumak said:
16 hours ago, Bobsuruncle said:

Although I am a little concerned about how my wife will adjust to that life style. First it will be a culture shock and then it will be a small living space. Don't know if it will work if I don't give it a chance.????

OK......see that your wife is going with you. 

To me, the calculation on leaving Thailand is very much different if you have significant ties to the country, such as a dedicated wife, or kids, etc.. Also, the VISA and extension process is much more likely to last long term in this circumstance with lower financial requirements and more lenient government policies (though by no means guaranteed).

For those without these attachments, the increased risk that they will be either priced out of the visa extension process and/or have unattainable health insurance requirements, together with the increased gov't surveillance and TM30 reporting requirements do create an actionable reason to sell up and move out. 

I agree with those who state that for a happily married (to a Thai) person in Thailand, there must be additional reasons why anyone would move.

10 hours ago, thainet said:

Khok Kloi is a very dull place (in my opinion). There is one restaurant about 1k

You mean Faashi restaurant? Is the best.

but Have many more. Two Issan restaurant, usual one etc etc. pub near the TOT etc

before coming into the town and one restaurant on the beach road just before the Aleenta Hotel,

Yes, Nong and her husband restaurant.

Baba beach club near there have very good, expensive restaurant, and Aleenta also.

It has 3 massage places but no naughty stuff.

Is good. We don’t want sex tourist guy and sex worker near our kids.

One hotel opposite Lotus, but its quite old.

Nong’s restaurant also do massage on the beach.

Anyway not my cup of tea, but maybe what others are looking for in life. Cheers.

Yes, natural place.

Yes, Natai beach, Bordan beach, temple beach. Clean water.

13 hours ago, jastheace said:

ok, I've read the OP, and many of the comments and suggestions. just wanted to wish you the best of luck. 

also just wanted to put my 2 cents in. do you really need the cash ? there's a mention of renting it out, an income for relatives of yr wife ? has she children ? maybe nice to keep it for that and as a place to stay on extended future holidays ?

once again, best of luck bob

Bob, thanks for the best of luck wish.

We'll be needing the cash from the sale to finance our future plans, and I've never really had good luck with renters anyway so renting isn't on the books. We have another house that we had built located next to the family up north that's destined for one of my wife's grown up children when the time comes. 

6 hours ago, keemapoot said:

To me, the calculation on leaving Thailand is very much different if you have significant ties to the country, such as a dedicated wife, or kids, etc.. Also, the VISA and extension process is much more likely to last long term in this circumstance with lower financial requirements and more lenient government policies (though by no means guaranteed).

For those without these attachments, the increased risk that they will be either priced out of the visa extension process and/or have unattainable health insurance requirements, together with the increased gov't surveillance and TM30 reporting requirements do create an actionable reason to sell up and move out. 

I agree with those who state that for a happily married (to a Thai) person in Thailand, there must be additional reasons why anyone would move.

Everyone has their threshold and mine has been reached. You can keep trying to second guess what makes people do what they do but I've already stated my reasons. I don't expect everyone to understand why I do what I do and you can't expect me to understand why you chose to do what you do. It's all bundled up into the human nature. And we're all different.

2 hours ago, Yinn said:

You mean Faashi restaurant? Is the best.

but Have many more. Two Issan restaurant, usual one etc etc. pub near the TOT etc

Yes, Nong and her husband restaurant.

Baba beach club near there have very good, expensive restaurant, and Aleenta also.

Is good. We don’t want sex tourist guy and sex worker near our kids.

Nong’s restaurant also do massage on the beach.

Yes, natural place.

Yes, Natai beach, Bordan beach, temple beach. Clean water.

Thank you Yinn, you're right on. It's a beautiful place we live in here!

17 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

We will need to see more pics and asking price.

What size is your pool? If its a single floor house? Why so?

Destiny1990 the ad finally cleared and is here: https://classifieds.thaivisa.com/ad/OXS585SV/2-bedroom-2-bath-home-on-1-4-rai-2-9-million-baht

No pool, and single story. Why so what? why single floor? my wife has troubles with her knees sometimes, so single story helps. If you want more pics than shown in the ad just PM me.

15 hours ago, thainet said:

Khok Kloi is a very dull place (in my opinion). There is one restaurant about 1k before coming into the town and one restaurant on the beach road just before the Aleenta Hotel, It has 3 massage places but no naughty stuff. One hotel opposite Lotus, but its quite old.

Sounds idyllic to me... like Patong beach when I visited in 1977. Two hotels, only one with 24-hour power but too far south. Half a dozen, nipa-hut style beach restaurants with boats so they would go and catch your choice from the menu. No bars. Bring your own bed mate (thanks Noi). A steep hill that kept most people out... so steep, I was almost trapped and would have to push my clapped-out, rented step-through over the top. I had the best part of £7000 end-of-contract bonus burning a hole in my pocket. Could have probably bough the whole place for that back then.

On 9/3/2019 at 9:47 PM, gunderhill said:

Christ why didn't  you just post "house for  sale"

gunderhill,

Even though it's true that my wife and I would like to sell our house, I don't know about you but most "house for sale" ads are pretty drab and boring. 

I thought it might be a good idea to give back to the reader something in return. I wanted to give some entertainment and possibly impart some knowledge that I've learned over the years living here in Thailand. And all of the thread up until the end where I say we're selling, was just that, knowledge and entertainment. Over the last few days I've seen that some people have gained a little knowledge and maybe some were actually entertained. Some also appeared to be annoyed. I'm definitely not a good writer, but if after 9 pages of this thread you can honestly say that you weren't entertained or gained a small bit on knowledge, then I would like to apologize to you for wasting your time.

19 hours ago, Bobsuruncle said:

If this doesn't work, just go to ThaiVisa classifieds and click on "House for SALE (9)".

Thanks for looking.

It looks nice, I do not know the area but I am sure its not too bad , away from the tourist traps. If I had the money and needed a house here I would offer you 2 mill.   

Archived