I Finally Found the Best Place to Live in Thailand

44 minutes ago, bluebluewater said:

I am leaving next week myself for a return to America but I don't think either of us is going to find "less government officials probing into my daily life and a little bit more freedom " in the States.

Well, one can only go and find out. But I'm pretty sure that I won't have to report (TM 30) to any agency every time I decide to travel outside of the area I'm in nor will I have to report to anyone every 90 days as to my current address, or go to ask permission to stay another year (extension of stay), year after year. Or pay some Thai Insurance company 60,000 to 100,000 baht a year just to have a piece of paper that says I have health insurance that doesn't really cover anything. I know, I know, this hasn't happened yet, but they keep threatening to instigate it and I'm just done with these clowns who can't seem to take responsibility for their own screw ups.  I'm sure there are many negatives to going back to America and I'll just have to weigh those when I come to them. I just know that I've reached my threshold limit of BS here in Thailand. I wish you luck as a fellow American, believe me, I know it's not perfect. What part are you going to?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, rumak said:

i have been wondering the same thing.  Sure sounds like Bob's gonna do it alone  ?

rumak, at first that will be the case as my wife only has one sister who is trying to take care of grandchildren as well as her 87 year old father and my wife has agreed to go back and help her sister out with her aging father until he passes. In the meantime I'll be trying to figure out the best way to get her into America. I don't plan on setting down roots into a sticks and bricks and that might be a problem with US immigration but the other possibility is that she has an aunt who owns a Thai restaurant in Dallas and might be able to sponsor my wife. Her father is a very strong 87 year old and I believe he's gonna be around for at least a year or 2 so that gives us time to figure it all out and gives my wife quality time with her father who she loves dearly. 

42 minutes ago, elgenon said:

Sounds interesting. Your wife is up for it? Please keep us posted.

You certainly are up for trying new things, places.

Actually I think my wife would be happy to stay here in Thailand. But bless her little heart, she said she would go with me anywhere. I guess we'll see.

40 minutes ago, shy coconut said:

Why didn't you just state that in the OP? The only reference you made regarding

immigration was that you reported and then went shopping.

There wasn't the tiniest clue in your dull, paragraph free ramble about various

places you have lived in Thailand that suggested immigration was a problem.

To be fair if the title was one of many saying you were leaving because of the 

TM30, I would have not wasted the last 10 minutes of my life.

I did actually learn something though, I had never heard of a water bike before.

shy coconut, I apologize for wasting your time. 

Have you ever spent any time in the Phangnga province? It's definitely not for everyone but as far as I'm concerned it is the best place for me. Or it was. It has the best of both worlds. You can live where there isn't a lot of traffic and yet still be 38 minutes from an international airport. You can go shopping at farang based large stores and yet you don't have to live in the crazy city life congestion. And you can play in the Andaman Sea or Phangnga Bay. It's a great area, you might want to check it out sometime and you might be happily surprised. 

48 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

was wondering why all the hype, I know the area, nothing special besides lost of rain but great sales pitch anyway, you could have many of us fouled

Mavideol, when I lived in Phuket many years ago I wound up traveling through Phangnga several times either on the way north or way south, but never stopped in to check it out. It's not for everyone. Once I stopped and looked around I began to realize that it had many things that I liked. I don't often tell people to come check out a place where I'm living as I don't want it to get popular and change while I'm living there. 

This is just my opinion and if someone who's never been here and is looking for a new place to live it's just a suggestion. No "foul" ????

3 hours ago, Bobsuruncle said:

n America I plan to buy a van and convert it into a living space with solar electric, water, and propane. With a house on wheels I can move to wherever I want on BLM land and stay free for 14 day time limits. I can follow the seasons whereby if it becomes too hot during the summer, I just go to higher elevations and when it become cold during the winter

Yes this all the rage now and not just for pensioners but young people in professional jobs saving to buy a house. Tons of videos on you tube and thinking of going the same way when the time comes but in oz

7 minutes ago, madmen said:

n America I plan to buy a van and convert it into a living space with solar electric, water, and propane. With a house on wheels I can move to wherever I want on BLM land and stay free for 14 day time limits. I can follow the seasons whereby if it becomes too hot during the summer, I just go to higher elevations and when it become cold during the winter

Yes this all the rage now and not just for pensioners but young people in professional jobs saving to buy a house. Tons of videos on you tube and thinking of going the same way when the time comes but in oz

Many in the US are converting "Skoolies" these days.

Thousands of old school buses are available for sale, you can get a size suitable for your needs and make it as simple or luxurious as you require. 

Builds are all over YouTube.

6 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Thousands of old school buses are available for sale, you can get a size suitable for your needs and make it as simple or luxurious as you require. 

OP Should go with this for the space.Seen those vids and conversions are amazing but I worked with a pen and not a hammer unfortunately would Even know where to begin

7 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Old Croc, thanks for the suggestion and that was my first choice but after researching them for a while I then thought a step van would be better but after more research now am settling into a possible Class B for a few reasons.

4 minutes ago, singking said:

America! Less restrictive? Oxymoron I think

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

singking, for me America definitely has its negative downsides but the freedom to drive to a new state without having to report to immigration within 24 hours or not having to report every 90 days to an official of what my address is or not have to ask for permission to live in the country for another year all are points that I consider freedom. It's just my personal choice, I'm not trying to convince anyone else that it's right for them. Although getting pulled over for "speeding" in America definitely wouldn't be the same as being pulled over in Thailand. ????

36 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Wouldn't you need a special driving license for a bus such as a PCV license?

2 hours ago, Bobsuruncle said:

singking, for me America definitely has its negative downsides but the freedom to drive to a new state without having to report to immigration within 24 hours or not having to report every 90 days to an official of what my address is or not have to ask for permission to live in the country for another year all are points that I consider freedom. It's just my personal choice, I'm not trying to convince anyone else that it's right for them. Although getting pulled over for "speeding" in America definitely wouldn't be the same as being pulled over in Thailand. ????

Suggestion for outfitting on your travels.   Bulletproof vest .

And remember to sit near the exit doors.

Eye contact:  at your own risk

Compliments to females :   have your lawyers card handy

And yes, those traffic stops.  Prepare yourself by taking a course in abiding

to commands being shouted at top decibel while being pushed to the ground. 

To be fair:  Living in the North I might be compelled to live in a sealed house for a few

months every year  ( fresher air near the sea is the one factor that I consider when thinking of the future).  Otherwise I prefer the North and always breathed a sigh of relief

upon reaching Tak and seeing the mountains on my way driving back from the coast

Mavideol, when I lived in Phuket many years ago I wound up traveling through Phangnga several times either on the way north or way south, but never stopped in to check it out. It's not for everyone. Once I stopped and looked around I began to realize that it had many things that I liked. I don't often tell people to come check out a place where I'm living as I don't want it to get popular and change while I'm living there. 

This is just my opinion and if someone who's never been here and is looking for a new place to live it's just a suggestion. No "foul" ????

fair enough... good luck than

2 hours ago, Bobsuruncle said:

All those immigration complaints you make took about 2 hours of my precious time for the entire year.

And you are right about the speeding ticket.  Which will cost you about 500 bucks in the states.

Good luck and obey those speed laws. ????

10 hours ago, balo said:

You forgot to mention that Phuket island is a ripoff place for tourists and expats and taxi mafia everywhere. Restaurant prices are double of Pattaya etc etc etc.  

It's the last place in Thailand I would relocate to. 

Near Khok Kloi Phangnga. Not Phuket.

Not Phuket tourist prices. Cheaper than Pattaya tourist prices I think. 

No farang restaurants (I think, never see). 

7 hours ago, Bobsuruncle said:

But if it slowly became overrun by an influx of people moving in, I would have to decide where to next. In this case, I've grown tired of being under the thumb of a government/immigration system that makes me feel unwelcome in their country. 

I feel the same way. Not only the place and others, but we change aloso. Things that were important, no longer are. and things that were not , suddenly are important.

Back then I used to actively pursue BS, heck I came all the way to Thailand for it. Now? not so much. well Ok different BS LOL

Still maintain my home in Khon Kaen (just build a new one a couple of years ago) still come to Thailand for a few months every year (being doing it for over 13 years), Thailand is great, the thai people are wonderful.But the BS is getting a litle bit long on the tooth, and plans to fully retire there are being reconsidered.

Who wants to be jumping through all these hoops in their golden years?

10 minutes ago, inThailand said:

Its paradise, but I prefer to move and pawn it off on a TV idiot. 

That's funny and harsh at the same time. 

As I keep saying it's my threshold that I've reached with having Thai authorities telling me what I need to do in order to live here. Many others have more patience than I do with things like that and will continue to want to live here. And really if you think about it, what's a few rules to follow if you really want to stay. I just have a low tolerance for rules and life is short.

1 hour ago, Destiny1990 said:

We will need to see more pics and asking price.

What size is your pool? If its a single floor house? Why so?

Why? Are you planning on buying it? You with your current pre-flounce thread seeking any and all information about relocating to Vietnam?

Archived