I Finally Found the Best Place to Live in Thailand

6 minutes ago, Bobsuruncle said:

Actually there is another reason. The property is perfect for me. It's the country of Thailand with it's rules and laws that has finally caused this change. I've come to an age where I would like to have less government officials probing into my daily life and a little bit more freedom.

I am 71, been here 10 years living in my house near Phitsanulok with gf for 6 of those. I have NEVER had any offcials probing into my daily life and only contact them 4 times a year, every 90 days and to do extension. I am free to go wherever I want either in or out of Thailand. So I will not be moving. I think you have other reasons to go back to USA.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Sorry not to read the whole OP, way too many words and only two pictures .

It seems to me that you had found the best place once before when you moved near your in laws until you got bored four years later, so what makes you think this is the best place and you will not get bored there after a while.  

Is there such a thing as the best place? or is something the best until it is not?

I think your last sentence there is spot on. 

Nothing stays the same and seems to be in constant state of change, sometimes slowly and sometimes abruptly. I believe this area could hold my interest for a long time as it stands now. But if it slowly became overrun by an influx of people moving in, I would have to decide where to next. In this case, I've grown tired of being under the thumb of a government/immigration system that makes me feel unwelcome in their country. 

7 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Perhaps Phuket is different, but I never had government officials probing my daily life in all my years in LOS.

Okay maybe a bad choice of words "daily life". 

Maybe what I should have said is that I would prefer to live in a country that doesn't require me or my landlord to report to immigration every time I chose to travel somewhere away from the house for 24 hours. I've also put up with the 90 day reporting for 12 years and the annual "extension of stay" BS without complaints until recently. I've just come to that point in my life where I don't feel like having those things in my life anymore. There are pros and cons to living in any country and one just needs to decide what they are willing to put up with. I for one chose not to do this immigration dance any longer.  

2 minutes ago, Bobsuruncle said:

Maybe what I should have said is that I would prefer to live in a country that doesn't require me or my landlord to report to immigration every time I chose to travel somewhere away from the house for 24 hours. I've also put up with the 90 day reporting for 12 years and the annual "extension of stay" BS without complaints until recently. I've just come to that point in my life where I don't feel like having those things in my life anymore. There are pros and cons to living in any country and one just needs to decide what they are willing to put up with. I for one chose not to do this immigration dance any longer.  

Fair enough, but I never found it to be so onerous that I'd leave LOS because of it. I had to leave, but only because I couldn't afford insurance any more. Otherwise, I'd never have left. 

18 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

I am 71, been here 10 years living in my house near Phitsanulok with gf for 6 of those. I have NEVER had any offcials probing into my daily life and only contact them 4 times a year, every 90 days and to do extension. I am free to go wherever I want either in or out of Thailand. So I will not be moving. I think you have other reasons to go back to USA.

Okay, again, poor choice of words on my part. The words "daily life" could better be put in this way. For the past 10 to 12 years I've put up with the 90 day reporting and the annual "extension of stay" and have justified to myself that even though these aren't pleasant things to have to do, I did them because the positives out weighed the negatives. But over that last year and a half with the government blaming the farangs for their hospitals having financial problems and the latest TM 30 issue of having to report to immigration (either myself or landlord/wife) after leaving the province for 24 hours, has tilted the scales to where now the negatives out weigh the positives. I don't like having to report to government officials if I want to go somewhere for a weekend. These are just my preferences. It became the straw that broke the camel's back so to speak. Life is too short to just go through it "putting up" with things, that's all I'm saying here.

It sounds to me that you've found yourself a perfect spot for you and that's all we can ask for in life. Something that makes us happy. Congratulations.

1 hour ago, Bobsuruncle said:

I've had enough of foreign governments and immigration officials trying to rule my life. It's time to move on to somewhere less restrictive.

good and bad everywhere.   there might ( big maybe ) be somewhere less restrictive with similar positives to Thailand but I sure don't know of one.   But America ????  less restrictive ?  and I hope you have lots of money for housing and medical.  And then the worst part :  the place is full of ....americans !!  

Hey, I escaped from that place long ago so I can at least give my opinion as one that has been there.

I have moved many times in life so I do understand others that get bored or antsy or whatever.  Trouble is it just starts again wherever you are.   

Just as an aside:  I did live in some "nice" places in the States..... but between the insurance, tax, and medical demands on ones assets ,  just way too restrictive for my wallet at this point in time.  I can live here pretty well for a fraction of the cost.  Not questioning your motives... just my thoughts. Good luck

America

Hey, Bobsuruncle. Good luck to you if you plan to find peace and happiness in America.

Last year after 27 years in Asia (Japan, Thailand and Philippines), and wishing to escape the air pollution in CM, I decided to take my wife and 4-y-o son to check out living in the U.S. That lasted only 8 months. The cost of living was the biggest shock. Even if we could afford it, after becoming adjusted to life in S.E.A., who would want to live somewhere that costs twice as much? Not to mention a place where brown-skinned people are often treated with disdain and worse.

In April this year, we decided to live in Tagaytay City, one of the few places in the P.I. that is clean, up-scale, cool all year around, but still 50-75% less costly than the U.S. Also, as a permanent resident here, my total immigration costs are 310 pesos (185 baht) per year. That's it. Nothing else. And no P.I.T.A. 90-day reports.

We miss Thai food, it's hard to find here, but we love Tagaytay. It's really a no-hassle life here. And our son attends a large private school here for a fraction of what it would cost in the U.S. or even Thailand.

I wouldn't live in Phuket even if someone gave me a house there free.

But, best of luck to you. Hope you find your dream home.

Regards, Brad

1 minute ago, rumak said:

good and bad everywhere.   there might ( big maybe ) be somewhere less restrictive with similar positives to Thailand but I sure don't know of one.   But America ????  less restrictive ?  and I hope you have lots of money for housing and medical.  And then the worst part :  the place is full of ....americans !!  

Hey, I escaped from that place long ago so I can at least give my opinion as one that has been there.

I have moved many times in life so I do understand others that get bored or antsy or whatever.  Trouble is it just starts again wherever you are.   

Just as an aside:  I did live in some "nice" places in the States..... but between the insurance, tax, and medical demands on ones assets ,  just way too restrictive for my wallet at this point in time.  I can live here pretty well for a fraction of the cost.  Not questioning your motives... just my thoughts. Good luck

I totally agree with you about America as a choice of place to live. When I left there 12 years ago, I said to myself that I would never go back there to live. I do have an advantage when it comes to medical expenses because I'm a disabled veteran and the VA will cover most of my expenses if I live in America, but they won't cover any medical bills if I live in Thailand. I did give some consideration to The Philippines as there is VA medical there, but after spending a few months there, I wasn't that impressed. In America I plan to buy a van and convert it into a living space with solar electric, water, and propane. With a house on wheels I can move to wherever I want on BLM land and stay free for 14 day time limits. I can follow the seasons whereby if it becomes too hot during the summer, I just go to higher elevations and when it become cold during the winter, I just head for the southwest or across into Mexico. I know this can be done as I've done this before. Life can be real simple and if one follows the 14 day limit of stay and then move to a new free spot, life can be very inexpensive. And I won't need to fill out any TM 30s or 90 day reports. 

2 minutes ago, Bobsuruncle said:

I totally agree with you about America as a choice of place to live. When I left there 12 years ago, I said to myself that I would never go back there to live. I do have an advantage when it comes to medical expenses because I'm a disabled veteran and the VA will cover most of my expenses if I live in America, but they won't cover any medical bills if I live in Thailand. I did give some consideration to The Philippines as there is VA medical there, but after spending a few months there, I wasn't that impressed. In America I plan to buy a van and convert it into a living space with solar electric, water, and propane. With a house on wheels I can move to wherever I want on BLM land and stay free for 14 day time limits. I can follow the seasons whereby if it becomes too hot during the summer, I just go to higher elevations and when it become cold during the winter, I just head for the southwest or across into Mexico. I know this can be done as I've done this before. Life can be real simple and if one follows the 14 day limit of stay and then move to a new free spot, life can be very inexpensive. And I won't need to fill out any TM 30s or 90 day reports. 

Thats what I have been thinking of doing for a few months, but I would have to sell the Porsche and then my manliness will disappear.

So hey, wanna hold paper for a fellow American ????

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

I think the difference is he can AFFORD to ????

6 minutes ago, Bobsuruncle said:

Do you really need at the moment the 2.9 millions? Why don't you just  rent it for an year and see if your plan works for you. From your post it seems you like the area, you can come back if the plan fails.

4 minutes ago, BradinAsia said:

Hey, Bobsuruncle. Good luck to you if you plan to find peace and happiness in America.

Last year after 27 years in Asia (Japan, Thailand and Philippines), and wishing to escape the air pollution in CM, I decided to take my wife and 4-y-o son to check out living in the U.S. That lasted only 8 months. The cost of living was the biggest shock. Even if we could afford it, after becoming accustomed to life in SEA, who would want to live somewhere that costs twice as much? Not to mention a place where brown-skinned people are often treated with disdain and worse.

In April this year, we decided to live in Tagaytay City, one of the few places in the P.I. that is clean, up-scale, cool all year around, but still 50-75% less costly than the U.S. Also, as a permanent resident here, my total immigration costs are 310 pesos (185 baht) per year. That's it. Nothing else. And no P.I.T.A. 90-day reports.

We miss Thai food, it's hard to find here, but we love Tagaytay. It's really a no-hassle life here. And our son attends a large private school here for a fraction of what it would cost in the U.S. or even Thailand.

I wouldn't live in Phuket even if someone gave me a free house there.

But, best of luck to you. Hope you find your dream home.

Regards, Brad

Hey Brad, I have no illusions about America being some sort of best place to live. It sounds like it could be a nightmare to live in some States there. I'm gonna give it a year or 2 traveling around the country in a self contained van to see what the reality will be. I checked out the Philippines about 10 years ago but never made it to Tagatay. Sounds like a good place.

I agree with you about not wanting to live in Phuket. I'd never go back there to live either, but I do like the country life here. Or did.

9 minutes ago, Bobsuruncle said:

In America I plan to buy a van and convert it into a living space with solar electric, water, and propane. With a house on wheels I can move to wherever I want on BLM land

Notice you haven't mentioned your wife in the last posting. ! assume she is game on your nomadic plans? 

Bobsuncle, very well said indeed. That's exactly how I felt and a big part of our reason to leave Thailand. In recent years, it appears that a lot of others have come to the same conclusion.

14 minutes ago, Bobsuruncle said:

I'm a disabled veteran and the VA will cover most of my expenses if I live in America

Wow, you have travelled and lived in so many places in LOS, built a house, drive a car, a water bike.

Are you living off the income from being a "disabled" American veteran? 

Just curious how you funded your last 12 years here in LOS.  

Say hello to all my friends in the land of the free and home of the mass shootings  555

10 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Notice you haven't mentioned your wife in the last posting. ! assume she is game on your nomadic plans? 

She has agreed to help out her sister with the care of her 87 year old father until he passes which will give me time to figure out how to get her the right type of visa for America. I might be required to own a piece of land there in order to sponsor her. When I told her the plans, she said she would go anywhere with me. 

Archived