I Finally Found the Best Place to Live in Thailand

43 minutes ago, Bobsuruncle said:

I totally agree with you about America as a choice of place to live. When I left there 12 years ago, I said to myself that I would never go back there to live. I do have an advantage when it comes to medical expenses because I'm a disabled veteran and the VA will cover most of my expenses if I live in America, but they won't cover any medical bills if I live in Thailand. I did give some consideration to The Philippines as there is VA medical there, but after spending a few months there, I wasn't that impressed. In America I plan to buy a van and convert it into a living space with solar electric, water, and propane. With a house on wheels I can move to wherever I want on BLM land and stay free for 14 day time limits. I can follow the seasons whereby if it becomes too hot during the summer, I just go to higher elevations and when it become cold during the winter, I just head for the southwest or across into Mexico. I know this can be done as I've done this before. Life can be real simple and if one follows the 14 day limit of stay and then move to a new free spot, life can be very inexpensive. And I won't need to fill out any TM 30s or 90 day reports. 

Bobsuncle, good luck on your nomadic life in America. We just did that for 8 months -- moving every two weeks between RV parks and state parks, seven months in Florida, then cross country to Colorado, and a month in Colorado. We saw a lot of nice places, but it nearly bankrupted us. Over and above the $25k cash for the travel trailer and F-150 tow truck, we spent over $5,000 per month, and came back here with a fairly large credit card debt. We are rather thrifty with our budget and during my 27 years in Asia, I never had any credit card debt. Yes, there are free places to camp for a week or two, such as BLM, but in the long run it's not really a sustainable lifestyle and gets very tiresome. 

Not only that -- America is not the same country it was 10-20 years ago. The major corporation tend to be predatory in their business practices. For example, internet. In the Philippines, we pay $25/month for fiber-optic broadband internet. In the U.S. we paid over $100/month (Verizon) and it was the worst internet I've had since the internet was first started in the early 1990's. Worst of all, after we cancelled Verizon and confirmed that our account was all clear, they are still billing us and threatening us 10 months later.

Before we left the U.S. we sold our F-150 but GEICO won't let us cancel our insurance coverage. They expect me to call them (international phone call from Philippines) to discuss "the reasons we should keep our auto insurance even after we sold the vehicle." I wouldn't recommend either Verizon or GEICO to my worst enemy.

You seem to me a very reasonable and intelligent person. I'd suggest you do your study and research well, unless you are independently wealthy and ready to lose a fortune chasing a dream you may never find.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice leadup to the punchline, and 2.9 million baht is a reasonable price. However - detail, no photos, how many bedrooms, aircon, water supply, reliable electricity. Neighbours user-friendly?  etc. etc. Is it well constructed, or at the end of the typical Thai lifespan of 15 years for many houses here?

Not that I would buy myself, I stick with renting.

34 minutes ago, gearbox said:

Do you really need at the moment the 2.9 millions? Why don't you just  rent it for an year and see if your plan works for you. From your post it seems you like the area, you can come back if the plan fails.

I love this area, but as I've said, I no longer want to put up with the Thai government silliness. That would be a wise move for some people who may have different reasons for leaving Thailand than what I've stated already. But for me, I'm not a rich man. The funds from the sale of the property will be needed for both my wife and I to move forward. But thanks for the suggestion.

To Bobsuruncle: Just buy a used RV. It'll be a lot cheaper than trying to convert. No matter how much talent you may have, you still can't do it the way the pros can.

Good luck and enjoy (from a highly experienced RV'er)

4 hours ago, balo said:

You forgot to mention that Phuket island is a ripoff place for tourists and expats and taxi mafia everywhere. Restaurant prices are double of Pattaya etc etc etc.  

It's the last place in Thailand I would relocate to. 

In a room full of balloons there is always 1 needle

42 minutes ago, Bobsuruncle said:

She has agreed to help out her sister with the care of her 87 year old father until he passes which will give me time to figure out how to get her the right type of visa for America. I might be required to own a piece of land there in order to sponsor her. When I told her the plans, she said she would go anywhere with me. 

I am sure living out the back of a van will be exciting for a while, but will sure become tiresome after a while. I hope your wife likes it, but i think it will be very challenging for her.

Plus as you get older will you really want to be driving around, or if you need medical assistance can you stay in one place etc etc

Sounds like a nice idea but so often the idea is better than the reality. I would definitely not cut your options in Thailand completely, although i appreciate finding someone to rent your property in that location would be very low.

2 hours ago, Bobsuruncle said:

Actually there is another reason. The property is perfect for me. It's the country of Thailand with it's rules and laws that has finally caused this change. I've come to an age where I would like to have less government officials probing into my daily life and a little bit more freedom.

A TM30 flounce then. OK.

21 minutes ago, BradinAsia said:

Bobsuncle, good luck on your nomadic life in America. We just did that for 8 months -- moving every two weeks between RV parks and state parks, seven months in Florida, then cross country to Colorado, and a month in Colorado. We saw a lot of nice places, but it nearly bankrupted us. Over and above the $25k cash for the travel trailer and F-150 tow truck, we spent over $5,000 per month, and came back here with a fairly large credit card debt. We are rather thrifty with our budget and during my 27 years in Asia, I never had any credit card debt. Yes, there are free places to camp for a week or two, such as BLM, but in the long run it's not really a sustainable lifestyle and gets very tiresome. 

Not only that -- America is not the same country it was 10-20 years ago. The major corporation tend to be predatory in their business practices. For example, internet. In the Philippines, we pay $25/month for fiber-optic broadband internet. In the U.S. we paid over $100/month (Verizon) and it was the worst internet I've had since the internet was first started in the early 1990's. Worst of all, after we cancelled Verizon and confirmed that our account was all clear, they are still billing us and threatening us 10 months later.

Before we left the U.S. we sold our F-150 but GEICO won't let us cancel our insurance coverage. They expect me to call them (international phone call from Philippines) to discuss "the reasons we should keep our auto insurance even after we sold the vehicle." I wouldn't recommend either Verizon or GEICO to my worst enemy.

You seem to me a very reasonable and intelligent person. I'd suggest you do your study and research well, unless you are independently wealthy and ready to lose a fortune chasing a dream you may never find.

Some sage advice there.

Too many people come to developing countries and are expecting switzerland for swaziland money. It doesnt work like that.

The wages and tax collection in a place like thailand would be lucky to keep the lights on in somewhere like eg manchester.

There are sacrifices and compromises we have to make and realities we have to live up to. Just because we are white and speak english doesnt mean that those that arent, owe us a living or respect. 

You cannot live somewhere like eg uk, usa, oz or canada etc without having at least 60k thb per month ( assuming you already own outright where you live ). Best of luck in usa if you have no health insurance.

Everywhere one lives has its good and bad points. Those that live here but now bemoan the fact obviously had major gripes at one stage.

Life is what you make it

26 minutes ago, BradinAsia said:

Brad, Thanks for your input and helpful information. Verizon and Geico will be on my watch list. It sounds like you had an unpleasant  experience while travelling America. Sorry to hear that, but I think that you might agree that it got that idea out of your system of possibly wanting live in America. It helped you to see that The Philippines is a much better choice for you and your family and living in Tagaytay seems like a good spot.

For me, I've lived in a converted van before in America and I know not to try to live East of the Rockies. West of the Rockies has unlimited places to camp and live for free. I've been there and done that. I'm not saying that this life style is for everyone but I do know for an introvert like me, it is close to being perfect. I get to spend loads of time out in mother nature hiking and metal detecting. Keeps me fit and healthy. and I actually like spending a lot of time alone. There are many others that live this life style and I've met a few who have become life long friends. Everyone is different. Maybe some day I'll check out Tagaytay!

1 hour ago, Bobsuruncle said:

I totally agree with you about America as a choice of place to live. When I left there 12 years ago, I said to myself that I would never go back there to live. I do have an advantage when it comes to medical expenses because I'm a disabled veteran and the VA will cover most of my expenses if I live in America, but they won't cover any medical bills if I live in Thailand. I did give some consideration to The Philippines as there is VA medical there, but after spending a few months there, I wasn't that impressed. In America I plan to buy a van and convert it into a living space with solar electric, water, and propane. With a house on wheels I can move to wherever I want on BLM land and stay free for 14 day time limits. I can follow the seasons whereby if it becomes too hot during the summer, I just go to higher elevations and when it become cold during the winter, I just head for the southwest or across into Mexico. I know this can be done as I've done this before. Life can be real simple and if one follows the 14 day limit of stay and then move to a new free spot, life can be very inexpensive. And I won't need to fill out any TM 30s or 90 day reports. 

before I even read this post I thought :   about the ONLY exception would be for someone with veteran or government background !   Some say the VA is not all that great but I am sure it varies.  One of the nice areas I lived in was South Texas...... San Antonio has large numbers of veteran services and 60 miles west is a nice town named Kerrville.  They had a VA hospital when I lived in that area.  Nice weather, hill country, and friendly people ( well, 25 years ago  haha).  If outside of town land might be pretty cheap to put a small trailer on and have a home base.    chok dee

2 hours ago, Bobsuruncle said:

Actually there is another reason. The property is perfect for me. It's the country of Thailand with it's rules and laws that has finally caused this change. I've come to an age where I would like to have less government officials probing into my daily life and a little bit more freedom.

I am leaving next week myself for a return to America but I don't think either of us is going to find "less government officials probing into my daily life and a little bit more freedom " in the States.

1 hour ago, Bobsuruncle said:

Going back to one's homeland is truly an excellent idea. I hope that your plans work out.

Far too many foreigners have burned the homeland bridges while they sought and lived their dream in Thailand and have lost the opportunity to return to probably the only nation that guarantees their rights, freedoms... and speaks their language. A few blew it all through their own, personal, bad lifestyle choices and lack of a budget. However, through no fault of their own, I reckon many more find themselves in a financial bind in a country where having ready access to cash was the panacea for the most tenacious of ills that Thai culture and life would throw at you.

Although I don't subscribe to the OP's opinion that the Thai government is getting more invasive with regard to the privacy of foreigners, I can understand where the recent arbitrary and inconsistent application of a ~50 year old immigration statute as the straw that breaks the proverbial camel's back.

2 minutes ago, bluebluewater said:

I am leaving next week myself for a return to America but I don't think either of us is going to find "less government officials probing into my daily life and a little bit more freedom " in the States.

Congratulations.  Simply stated and right on !

34 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Nice leadup to the punchline, and 2.9 million baht is a reasonable price. However - detail, no photos, how many bedrooms, aircon, water supply, reliable electricity. Neighbours user-friendly?  etc. etc. Is it well constructed, or at the end of the typical Thai lifespan of 15 years for many houses here?

Not that I would buy myself, I stick with renting.

It's a 2 bedroom 2 bath house (8m x 15m) with 2 car car port (9m x 8m) and a Tool shed/garage 3m x 6m. It was built and we moved in March of 2017. It has public water, good electric, a/c in both bedrooms, TOT internet and the closest house is about 90 to 100 meters away. And friendly neighbors. I like it here, I don't like all the rules and regulations etc from Thai government just to live in Thailand. That's the part that I'm done with.

If you're really interested and want pictures, I'm new to posting things so maybe PM me and I'll try to figure out the process. And soon I'll try to figure out how to actually list it for sale on Thai Visa Real estate and pay for the add.

1 hour ago, Skallywag said:

Notice you haven't mentioned your wife in the last posting. ! assume she is game on your nomadic plans? 

i have been wondering the same thing.  Sure sounds like Bob's gonna do it alone  ?

43 minutes ago, neeray said:

To Bobsuruncle: Just buy a used RV. It'll be a lot cheaper than trying to convert. No matter how much talent you may have, you still can't do it the way the pros can.

Good luck and enjoy (from a highly experienced RV'er)

Neeray, thanks for the suggestion. I know what you mean as I've already done a conversion build and even though it turned out really nice, I did have some run around from insurance companies who didn't want to insure it because it wasn't a Class A or Class C or B. I have been looking at class B's and they are quite expensive for even 15 to 20 year old rigs, but they are about the right size for my particular plans. I'll still be putting in photovoltaics and a much larger house battery section than what comes with the factory built.

9 minutes ago, Bobsuruncle said:

I'll begin my next adventure living in a home on wheels in America. If that doesn't work out, I'll research some more.

Sounds interesting. Your wife is up for it? Please keep us posted.

You certainly are up for trying new things, places.

35 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

I am sure living out the back of a van will be exciting for a while, but will sure become tiresome after a while. I hope your wife likes it, but i think it will be very challenging for her.

Plus as you get older will you really want to be driving around, or if you need medical assistance can you stay in one place etc etc

Sounds like a nice idea but so often the idea is better than the reality. I would definitely not cut your options in Thailand completely, although i appreciate finding someone to rent your property in that location would be very low.

smutcakes, you're absolutely right. Having 2 people living in a small place is definitely going to be a challenge. I've lived this life style before but I was by myself. I know that it will be much different with 2 people. For medical assistance I can park near any VA clinic and get medical care anywhere in the US.

I'm an introvert and living this type of lifestyle is right up my alley. I've lived it before and really enjoyed so it's not really a pipe dream without research. Actually I would still be doing that life if I hadn't made the mistake of visiting Thailand 12 years ago and got stuck here. 

Although I am a little concerned about how my wife will adjust to that life style. First it will be a culture shock and then it will be a small living space. Don't know if it will work if I don't give it a chance.????

3 minutes ago, Bobsuruncle said:

smutcakes, you're absolutely right. Having 2 people living in a small place is definitely going to be a challenge. I've lived this life style before but I was by myself. I know that it will be much different with 2 people. For medical assistance I can park near any VA clinic and get medical care anywhere in the US.

I'm an introvert and living this type of lifestyle is right up my alley. I've lived it before and really enjoyed so it's not really a pipe dream without research. Actually I would still be doing that life if I hadn't made the mistake of visiting Thailand 12 years ago and got stuck here. 

Although I am a little concerned about how my wife will adjust to that life style. First it will be a culture shock and then it will be a small living space. Don't know if it will work if I don't give it a chance.????

As a point of interest will your wife be entitled to VA healthcare

45 minutes ago, rumak said:

before I even read this post I thought :   about the ONLY exception would be for someone with veteran or government background !   Some say the VA is not all that great but I am sure it varies.  One of the nice areas I lived in was South Texas...... San Antonio has large numbers of veteran services and 60 miles west is a nice town named Kerrville.  They had a VA hospital when I lived in that area.  Nice weather, hill country, and friendly people ( well, 25 years ago  haha).  If outside of town land might be pretty cheap to put a small trailer on and have a home base.    chok dee

rumak, thanks for the information. I'll have to check it out some day. I do have a sister who lives in Texas and I'll be going there for visits, so thanks.

28 minutes ago, Bobsuruncle said:

It's a 2 bedroom 2 bath house (8m x 15m) with 2 car car port (9m x 8m) and a Tool shed/garage 3m x 6m. It was built and we moved in March of 2017. It has public water, good electric, a/c in both bedrooms, TOT internet and the closest house is about 90 to 100 meters away. And friendly neighbors. I like it here, I don't like all the rules and regulations etc from Thai government just to live in Thailand. That's the part that I'm done with.

If you're really interested and want pictures, I'm new to posting things so maybe PM me and I'll try to figure out the process. And soon I'll try to figure out how to actually list it for sale on Thai Visa Real estate and pay for the add.

Why didn't you just state that in the OP? The only reference you made regarding

immigration was that you reported and then went shopping.

There wasn't the tiniest clue in your dull, paragraph free ramble about various

places you have lived in Thailand that suggested immigration was a problem.

To be fair if the title was one of many saying you were leaving because of the 

TM30, I would have not wasted the last 10 minutes of my life.

I did actually learn something though, I had never heard of a water bike before.

13 minutes ago, Bobsuruncle said:

OK......see that your wife is going with you.    

Archived