Thailand still ranks No.1 in region in road accidents: national think tank (see infographics)

snoop1130

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is very hard to find anything positive to say on this whole topic.  In my short 26 years in Bangkok, nothing has improved regards the standard of driving - and apart from the mid-month and end-of-month cash collections from the boys in brown, they seem to turn a blind eye as well to most violations.

1 minute ago, Globe Trotter said:

I thought it was number 2? 
Wiki has Thailand at number 5, but that is as of 2016 

Screenshot 2019-09-03 at 08.21.00.png

Wiki uses the numbers supplied by the Thai government which only include those who die at the scene of the accident. The real numbers are significantly higher.

10 hours ago, Tayaout said:

51% teens pregnancy? This is huge. In my country I know almost nobody who got pregnant before finishing high school... 

you should get out more maybe......lol. Although I was the same, then again it was an all boys school. That could have been it

12 minutes ago, GalaxyMan said:

Wiki uses the numbers supplied by the Thai government which only include those who die at the scene of the accident. The real numbers are significantly higher.

22,400 deaths a year is still a hell of a lot, especially for a country with 60 or so million people lol. I've said before that I cannot imagine the figures if Thailand had to endure snowy and ice filled Winters, that is quite a terrifying thought 

It really looks like someone from you had nothing to do, these totally useless graphics that tell nothing to anyone!
In the road death category, suggestions are made for a reduction in deaths, I can't find the suggestion to increase the participation of the police!

10 hours ago, seajae said:

better education would go a long way towards accidents and teenage pregnancies, trouble is no one really gives a sh*t about either. Road deaths age group starts at 15, too young to have a licence, if police actually got off their fat butts and did what they are paid for especially if they had cars instead of pick ups and proper road bikes to enable them to be pro active on the roads they might just start to get the numbers to drop, big fines and seizure of vehicles would also help if enforced. Teaching teenagers about contraceptives in school would also help, parents actually taking an interest in what their kids do would too but that would require them to actually do something other than play on their phones and drink.

100% correct, don't hold your breath waiting for change.

Where is the cute little animaton describing corruption?

My wife yesterday was invited to complain about the stealing of land by government officials yesterday. They then told her she is not allowed in to the meeting and the main mayor is keeping it secret and will take action and to wait.. Meaning nothing at all! I paid a million for land i now found out was public land originally and basically still is. Bought from the little local douchebag bullying criminal mayor!

We are going to fight so look out for us in a ditch, river, amoungst burned tires in the forest or an accidental death at the police station i guess!

Most important things is tm30 i guess. Need to know where these corruption fighters families are.

11 hours ago, fishtank said:

Of course it does.

It always will until the police decide to actually decide to do anything about it.

While the police are only interested in collecting dinner money nothing will change.

But notice, still no mention of proper driving lessons and proper test. Absolute basic necessity!!!

simple concepts such as "accidents are caused by speeding" are actually dangerous, not helpful. 

you see drivers going very slow in the far right lane, which to any safe driver indicates that that vehicle is not focused on their driving.  worse, many times such vehicles will cause bottlenecks with folks driving at a normal pace. 

"accidents" almost always are from not 'maintaining an out'.  which requires an alert, thinking... even if that means somewhat stressed.... driver of the vehicle.  always ready to go left, right, stop or accelerate.... depending on road situations.  often times 'always having an out' means going slower than normal..... but that does not mean going slower is safe as a simple mindless rule of some kind.  the opposite.  it means when going slower is your best 'out', it's good driving.  there is a big difference there.  and of course, being sleepy or drunk or preoccupied means your 'outs' are very limited or you don't even have one... at ANY speed. 

just on that aspect, I see this way too often here.   

11 hours ago, Tayaout said:

51% teens pregnancy? This is huge. In my country I know almost nobody who got pregnant before finishing high school... 

In the village where we live we have just found out that there is 14 year old school girl who is pregnant. The boyfriend is 14 also!!

Under road accidents one of the solutions is to enforce the law seriously and continuously. This will be a first and who is going to do it? Until they get patrols out on the roads instead of sitting around in the office playing on media, this is never going to happen!!

I was recently travelling in Indonesia and the traffic there seemed by far more chaotic than in Thailand. There were much more motorcycles on the roads than in Thailand. I asked about accident statistics, and one explanation given to me was that in Indonesia, If a car is involved in an accident with a motorcycle, almost always, it is the car that is the guilty party by way of being able to avoid a collision with more careful driving. That is very much in line with the basic traffic rules in Sweden (where I'm from) " A driver must always drive in such a way and with such speed, as to always be able to prevent or avoid an accident". So, in Indonesia, this was given as a reason why the accidents are fewer there than in Thailand.

I'm also a bit surprised that motorcycles is only 39% of the accidents, I have always seen much higher figures previously, like 60 - 80% in some Songkran reports.

Another tragic death last friday, 16 1/2 yr old son of a local friend, killed on motorbike, crash hat strap not done up so it comes off, skids and hits telegraph pole, dead child

The police and schools do little, and are to a large extent to blame

Each time a school child killed take a teacher from the school and a local policeman, and execute one of them

This would bring  positive results

I've just been driving on a dual carriage way when all of a sudden a minivan comes out of the soi on my left he turns into the on coming traffic drive down the wrong side of the road until he reaches the U turn then proceeds to cross over the road to get on the other side of the road, what he should have done was turn left gone up the road to the next U turn, 

The road was quiet busy this morning

12 hours ago, Tayaout said:

12 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Must be a mistake, 5.1 % more like it

looks like some lost in translation numbers in the charts.
maybe 51 % of the reported teenage pregnancies are in school.

What about the other pregnancies, p.e. in villages, shotgun marriages ?

Perhaps what they are saying is that it is 51% higher than the average rate in other countries.

A gut full of som tam, a quick bottle of san song, a quick fumble and the odd grunt.

The bloke buggers off to his next one.

Maybe condoms should be distributed in school first aid rooms free....

12 hours ago, seajae said:

better education would go a long way towards accidents and teenage pregnancies, trouble is no one really gives a sh*t about either. Road deaths age group starts at 15, too young to have a licence, if police actually got off their fat butts and did what they are paid for especially if they had cars instead of pick ups and proper road bikes to enable them to be pro active on the roads they might just start to get the numbers to drop, big fines and seizure of vehicles would also help if enforced. Teaching teenagers about contraceptives in school would also help, parents actually taking an interest in what their kids do would too but that would require them to actually do something other than play on their phones and drink.

Teenage pregnancy; Could be 5.1 % get pregnant and of those 51.% continue their studies. They mixed up the numbers maybe. Whatever, as a whole all this figures show a rather grim picture of Thailand. Interesting to read all  their solutions which never will be implemented.

Archived