What happens with people when they enter Thailand?

Matzzon

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Well, it might be a false equivalency but since you brought it up.....  If the "bad" farangs, meaning the ones with, as you call it, low moral standards, are the benchmark for "bad", then you can take solace in the idea that we, as a collective category, ain't got nuffin' on the Thais you put on a pedestal.

20 years here, allegedly, and OP is still baffled, rolling around on the TVF floor for days now, moaning about moaners and now, farangs who like a bit of tail before they kick their cloggs.   Yeah, you're chock full of virtues, upset at being in the same "farang" basket with the rest of us.  It's all about you.  Poor, poor you.  :hit-the-fan:

I am not  baffled, where do you get that from?

7 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

First thing the O.P. should do, before he posts such inane comments, would be how to spell the word "decent" ????

6 hours ago, RedPill said:

Coffee shop on the street.

Coffee ron, kap

Arai?

Coffee ... hot please

Arai na? 

Hot, Coffee ... hot!?!

Looking at my Thai girl next to me ... she says, kafee ka

Ohhhhhhh, Kaffeeeeeeeee

Thanks very much! The ignorance is pathetic, all over ... what are you selling in a Coffeeeeeee shop that you don't understand? Acting like I ordered Pork knuckles? Laughing their a#@s off when Farangs have a tone incorrect.

And then they have to make a simple international english sentence and only garbage comes out.

How charming.

Yep, what´s really charming is that you have such a great understanding of that they can´t care less of you speaking english in their country.

6 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Westerners did not invent prostitution in Thailand.

The Thais did that.

Do you have a problem with Thai men (who are often married) using prostitutes?  

Yes, i have a problem with that to and see it as a dreadful behaviour.

5 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

Yawn...

Thanks, for your input.

5 hours ago, dotpoom said:

That's exactly why they come to Thailand?

Sadly

5 hours ago, AAArdvark said:

Not the OPs first moral judgement post. 

Nope, and it´s not going to be the last either. I will stay on and continue to upset you.

17 minutes ago, Matzzon said:
7 hours ago, RedPill said:

Yep, what´s really charming is that you have such a great understanding of that they can´t care less of you speaking english in their country.

If you noticed, I started with speaking Thai .... Coffee Ron, Kap 

It's Thai enough ... ok ... the sign on the shop also says: Coffee Shop. That's also the only thing they sell there.

I order Coffee ... but get a: no understand

It has to be Kafeeeeee 

Pure ignorance, if you ask me.

Are you really going to argue this? Or just having a go?

Funny, the word Money always works ... never have to say Moneeeeey

6 minutes ago, RedPill said:

It's Thai enough ... ok ... the sign on the shop also says: Coffee Shop. That's also the only thing they sell there.

It has to be Kafeeeeee 

To me, you got what you deserved. And just for the note, you never spoke Thai. Coffee is not a Thai word. They also not speak R when they say hot. They actually have more a tone of L. Due to that they speak and understand by tones, your way probably confused them. And of course you refuse to understand and accept that, because you are entitled to their understanding according to you.

10 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

To me, you got what you deserved. And just for the note, you never spoke Thai. Coffee is not a Thai word. They also not speak R when they say hot. They actually have more a tone of L. Due to that they speak and understand by tones, your way probably confused them. And of course you refuse to understand and accept that, because you are entitled to their understanding according to you

Ok, now I know what kind of a poster you are! You just love to stir stuff around ????

It's an R ... RRRRoooon .... Ro Ruea. Only the low class, lazy or uneducated say Lon .... Lo Ling. But they all know it.

You have been here for 20 years?

I know Coffee is not a Thai word ... but it's pretty international and if you work in a coffee shop with a huge sign Coffee Shop and you only 

sell coffee, oh well. Not going to argue this with you further ???? Too silly really 

What happens with people when they enter Thailand?

After 3 1/2 years in Thailand, 1977-1980, my outlook on life changed somewhat.  When I went back to the U.S., I was a bit culture shocked.  People running around like crazy, scrambling to make $$$.  Everything was big, green, clean (relatively speaking). Maybe I spent too much time with farmers out in the boondocks. 

15 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

To me, you got what you deserved

And now please tell me why Money always works ... never have to say Moneeeey?

It's also not a Thai word, but works beautifully without any problems, it's a miracle.

27 minutes ago, RedPill said:

It has to be Kafeeeeee 

Funny, the word Money always works ... never have to say Moneeeeey

It seems odd that a coffee shop owner would skimp on their salary bill and not employ bilingual staff.  Or maybe you'd gone in when the Chinese-speaking shift was on ( 'gafey' ).  Perhaps if you had ordered in French you might have been more easily understood.  

Prostitution is as old as humans, judging someone using those services by being decent or not / having morals or not, makes me only conclude that you have seen little of the world and/or know little of the real world. It happens just as much in any country, the only difference in Thailand is that the bar scene for girls is very open to the public eye.

Drunk and comfortable + happy people always get a ego boost too, would say it is more about you with assumptions and judgemental behaviour than anything else.
If you want to pretend, like church, that everyone generally is decent, sticks to same age and loyal to marriage, you have to wake up.

P.S. We never get the real young girls, Thais do, we get what is left over only when they hit 20-21. So blame them then too. Did they change by birth?

16 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

It seems odd that a coffee shop owner would skimp on their salary bill and not employ bilingual staff.  Or maybe you'd gone in when the Chinese-speaking shift was on ( 'gafey' ).  Perhaps if you had ordered in French you might have been more easily understood.  

Yes, maybe better ???? I try French next time.

In any case, this topic came up to a reply of Farangs having to speak Thai, and Thai people loving it when they do it.

Sure, in many cases. But there are so many cases where things are so super obvious, as with the Coffee example I brought up ... it's just pure ignorance, nothing else. 

Everyone who has lived here for a bit and tried to speak Thai will surly have a lot of similar experiences.

The point was, they are laughing their a@#$ off when you make a small tonal mistake ... but when you ask a girl if she has the key with her ... it's Key House ... and not house key.

The english teacher is talking about 'Liver', and neighbors boy is correcting him, that's not a liver ... that's a River ... (same Ron / Lon stuff).

And if he corrects the teacher, he get's his a$# kicked for doing so ???? Pretty crazy here at times. 

There is a reason why the Thais suck at english ... they don't want to teach, learn or speak it. Which is a shame anno 2019 for all the teenagers.

Remember around 3 years ago when Mr. Prayut said Thailand doesn't need International English teachers, the Thais can teach that to themselves? 

That's why the coffee example is just so spot on and nothing is moving forward for the kids.

42 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Yes, i have a problem with that to and see it as a dreadful behaviour.

Thanks, for your input.

Sadly

Nope, and it´s not going to be the last either. I will stay on and continue to upset you.

Interesting to see your views on other people's morals. So lets recap - in a nutshell before you came to Thailand as a fresh 25 year old divorced father of one, you were a person who had had his own construction company but later managed bars and clubs - those dens of iniquity serving alcohol to people who probably hooked up for sex later that night after being in your bars and clubs? A touch of hypocrisy perhaps?

With 500- 600 friends why did you hook up with a lower middle class Thai woman?

Not that I'm really interested but others might be.

2 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Interesting to see your views on other people's morals. So lets recap - in a nutshell before you came to Thailand as a fresh 25 year old divorced father of one, you were a person who had had his own construction company but later managed bars and clubs - those dens of iniquity serving alcohol to people who probably hooked up for sex later that night after being in your bars and clubs? A touch of hypocrisy perhaps?

We all need something to give ourselves a sense of superiority.  In the morning, I can break wind like Louis Armstrong.

OP instead generalizing all under the same umbrella. Take two weeks at the airport near the exit and ask everyone you can why

they came here....

Then you would have an understanding why they camehere, Get 

there contact info and in a months time follow up and see if they’ve jumped off the class or not....

16 hours ago, Matzzon said:

So, that´s what changes people as much as they just moan and feel like they can act and do what they want, and also do not understand how it really looks in the eyes of the genereal population?

In the eyes of the General population?  More thai guys go to prostitutes than expats! So many hidden away places for the Thai men and women to go to.  I know several thai women that are older (50-60) that go to bars that have young men to bar fine.  Almost every other Thai show has a rich guy that has several wives, or girl friends. 

2 minutes ago, ericthai said:

In the eyes of the General population?  More thai guys go to prostitutes than expats! So many hidden away places for the Thai men and women to go to.  I know several thai women that are older (50-60) that go to bars that have young men to bar fine.  Almost every other Thai show has a rich guy that has several wives, or girl friends. 

Concubine is very very real even these days in Thailand. Ref news from last week. 

On 9/2/2019 at 10:02 AM, brokenbone said:

its cheaper here, prostitutes are cheaper

as a function of population percentage

willing to prostitute them self, and

generally lower wages, that dampens the asking price.

you could say a functioning market economy

This guy wins the thread.

5 hours ago, ericthai said:

Why are you not seeing Thai´s as a part of the general population? The reason I singled out tourists and expats, is that I am a part of them and are ashamed of the behaviour and attitude in this country the so many have.

Naturally I consider Thai´s that are behaving the same way to be doing the wrong thing too.

5 hours ago, Tagged said:

Concubine is very very real even these days in Thailand. Ref news from last week. 

And that makes it all much better.

7 hours ago, emptypockets said:

If you are not interested, don´t ask. What tells you that the personality is better in a highly educated Hi-So than in my choice. Did you mother teach you that?

Hypocrisy? People who probably hooked up for sex later that night? Outside my place, without my knowledge and without me having a hand in the game by collecting bar fine? How can you see that as same. Most people are also at the same level in life and not an age difference of 77 to 18 years of age. I didn´t run any massage parlour where you can get a job inhouse or rented out rooms upstairs. See how many differences. Do you know better now, after I put some education into your post?

8 hours ago, RedPill said:

And now please tell me why Money always works ... never have to say Moneeeey?

It's also not a Thai word, but works beautifully without any problems, it's a miracle.

After you tell me, why you are so disappointed. Is it because you speak english and nobody understand you? Or is it that you regret not learning enough Thai to be understood?

Not easy to come to a foreign country and feel so entitled to be understood. Maybe you have a strange brittish accent. :cheesy:

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

After you tell me, why you are so disappointed. Is it because you speak english and nobody understand you? Or is it that you regret not learning enough Thai to be understood?

Not easy to come to a foreign country and feel so entitled to be understood. Maybe you have a strange brittish accent

lol ... it's ok. 

You completely missed the overall point. Actually no, you know the point, but just can't discuss in a normal way ... but never mind! Ignorance is bliss!

You know, I gave a few examples, from my life here, nothing to do with you at all, also in regards to your OP, now go back to your first post and read what you were asking for, a good discussion, no personal attacks, being polite ... and what are you doing? 

You can shuffle your thread up your bum, as far as I'm concerned! You are just trolling around.

15 minutes ago, RedPill said:

being polite

Ok, I thought you just derailed the topic, by starting to discuss about Thai´s that do not understand your Thinglish when you order coffee. After that try to be unpolite by degrading them as people not understanding you speaking a foreign language. I think you are the one that has to learn how to be understood. Not the other way around.

28 minutes ago, FredGallaher said:

Actually the pronunciation of Rs, Ls and/or rolling Rs depends on where your from and somewhat your status. Rs are more common in Central Thai and Ls in northeast or north. In the northeast you can't get someone to use R sound. HiSo Thai or want to be HiSo sometime roll the R sound. There are many regional and sub regional differences. Just like the US but probably more so.

Yes, we can call it different dialects, and that might be a part of why some people do not understand, as well as the tones that are important in Thai, but not at all in english.

6 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Ok, I thought you just derailed the topic, by starting to discuss about Thai´s that do not understand your Thinglish when you order coffee.

Go back to when I posted it ... it was a reply about expats and speaking Thai ... not a start of a discussion.

You can't discuss ... you only feel somehow to defend something completely silly, in a trolling way.

It was posted as a light, a bit funny example, but very real what we see here ... you turned it into something crazy

4 minutes ago, RedPill said:

You can't discuss ... you only feel somehow to defend something completely silly, in a trolling way.

That´s always the comment of a person that are lost for words and lost a discussion. Then we accuse of trolling, and all the other things that we can claim to.

Anyway, thank you for participating this far. ???? 

For the record, I am not defending anything. What I do is try to explain to you that you need to talk in a way they understand. Preferably in their language. It is not them that has to adapt to you. I also explained that it can have with different words and pronounciation of letters, which can be seen exactly like dialects.

19 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

For the record, I am not defending anything. What I do is try to explain to you that you need to talk in a way they understand

You know what, do you think we are stupid or what?

We live here, adopt to the language, learn a few words and sentences every day. I go into many shops and order my stuff in Thai, get it and go back home.

But there are also instances, which I explained, are so completely ignorant from the Thais, that there are no words to defend it.

Another one is going into a shop and get a Mai Mee, no hab ... mod. Followed by another service clerk getting it for you.

These things are real here.

And you come up with stupid things like ...  feeling "Entitled" your english must be understood in a foreign country. 

Sorry man, you got it all from the wrong end.

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

That´s always the comment of a person that are lost for words and lost a discussion. Then we accuse of trolling, and all the other things that we can claim to.

If you wouldn't had said that you lived here for 20 years and I would have to judge only by the questions you are wondering about in your OP, which are all so plain obvious, and your replies throughout this thread ... I would say you have no insight to Thai people and life here at all. 

But since you live here, there is no other way you are either trolling or are completely ignorant.

Archived