How to get Tax ID card in Bangkok

49 minutes ago, allane said:

If you know your number, take your passport and go to the nearest office of the Revenue Dept. I think they will give you a replacement card.

The office I used in Banglamung told me they no longer issue cards. 

Would be interested to hear if this is correct and national.

Edited by jacko45k

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

The office I used in Banglamung told me they no longer issue cards. 

Would be interested to hear if this is correct and national.

Wouldn't that be a "catch 22" situation?  KTB requires the card to issue the refund.  Anyone else with recent experience from Bangkok?

Edited by leddie

Do Thai Nationals have a separate Tax ID Card or do they just show their ID Card and/or Tabien Baan?

Just asked my daughter and she says Thais just use their ID card, they don't have a separate Tax card. 

So foreigners who have a pink ID card would do the same. Your Thai ID number is also your Tax Number so any foreigner who has a Thai ID number would use that for tax purposes.

Edited by sumrit
extra info

The Revenue department should have sent you a letter to take to KTB to get your refund. The usual process is apply for a E-money card and deposit the refund into the card. Go to an ATM and withdraw. Easy process if you have the letter, otherwise go to the Revenue Office near you and get the letter. Assuming you filed a tax report.

Edited by asiaexpat

I thinking the OP talking about he want the bank to not deduct the tax of his interest. 

Many of the responds are about how to get back the tax, after you filled in the TAX Form (91).

Yes my Revenue office told not need the tax card anymore, as it's the same number in my Pink ID. but not sure if this is enough for the bank (I even heared one time that bank only give the tax free accounts to Thai at least some banks).

The best way would be anyway to go into tax revenue office begin of the year for fill out the form for claim back the taxes. Of course for 100-200 baht it's probably not worth the effort!

5 hours ago, allane said:

If you know your number, take your passport and go to the nearest office of the Revenue Dept. I think they will give you a replacement card.

Recently here in Pattaya I didn't get a card. I got two pieces of small paper with all the information on it. This was what the banks needed. They will give it back to you - hopefully. 

14 hours ago, leddie said:

Wouldn't that be a "catch 22" situation?  KTB requires the card to issue the refund.  Anyone else with recent experience from Bangkok?

KTB in the Malls would not help me either, must have card, But in Pattaya there is a large branch hidden away near the old Tops on Central, there a great young guy with fluent English sorted me. It took forever! On the way home I stopped at at the Revenue office to tell them of my problems and the guy gave me some slip of paper with a fancy stamp and some writing that he said would help, 

I received a Thai tax number a couple of years ago from the Udon Thani tax office. I misplaced it and last year, I requested a copy. I was lectures that it was a mistake that I got one, somehow I managed to get a printout with the number. I tried to help another few foreigners to get such a number, impossible. They needed them for tax reasons in their home country. In order to get a tax number in Udon, applicants would need to fully declare their income, tax would then be calculated and only THEN would a tax number get allocated to a particular (foreign) individual. Seems THAI tax numbers are very special things...

18 hours ago, leddie said:

KTB doesn't issue tax refunds, they as all banks issue letters stating how much tax has been deducted and you then apply for your tax refund at your local Revenue Office.

18 hours ago, sumrit said:

Do Thai Nationals have a separate Tax ID Card or do they just show their ID Card and/or Tabien Baan?

Just asked my daughter and she says Thais just use their ID card, they don't have a separate Tax card. 

So foreigners who have a pink ID card would do the same. Your Thai ID number is also your Tax Number so any foreigner who has a Thai ID number would use that for tax purposes.

My Pink ID card & Tax number are different. Even though I gave the local Revenue Office my Pink ID card when first applying for a tax refund I was issued with a tax number printed on a piece of paper slightly larger than my pink id card and the number is not even remotely close to that on my pink id card.

Edited by TigerandDog
omission of clarifying information

Just now, TigerandDog said:

KTB doesn't issue tax refunds, they as all banks issue letters stating how much tax has been deducted and you then apply for your tax refund at your local Revenue Office.

KTB is the bank I was told had to handle the refund. After I had submitted a tax form at my local revenue office, some time later I received a slip of paper in the post.  It was the refund but not a cheque... I had to open a KTB account along with proof of my Tax ID, then the slip of paper was entered and the refund was in that account. Quite a palaver. 

4 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

KTB is the bank I was told had to handle the refund. After I had submitted a tax form at my local revenue office, some time later I received a slip of paper in the post.  It was the refund but not a cheque... I had to open a KTB account along with proof of my Tax ID, then the slip of paper was entered and the refund was in that account. Quite a palaver. 

I have accounts with KTB & TMB. When I originally enquired as to how I obtained a refund of the tax deducted from the interest paid to my accounts, BOTH banks told me that NO bank can issue a tax refund. The banks MUST issue a letter showing how much interest was credited to the account and the amount of tax that was deducted. I then had to take the letter to my local Revenue Dept complete a form requesting a refund and wait for a refund cheque which arrived in the post about 2 weeks later. This has been the process I've had to follow for the past 5 years in both BKK when I lived there and now in Chiang Mai, and again next year for this years tax deduction.  However, my new TMB bank manager has added a copy of my pink id card to my file at the bank and my account has now been set so no further tax will ever be deducted from interest paid.

10 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

My Pink ID card & Tax number are different.

I can't comment on that then, mine's the same. 

My daughter is studying Thai Law at University and the Thai ID number and it's uses was part of a project they were studying recently. She insists the same number is always used for ID and Tax purposes. 

1 hour ago, TigerandDog said:

BOTH banks told me that NO bank can issue a tax refund.

Of course they can't. I would imagine same as everywhere else in the world.......

1 hour ago, TigerandDog said:

wait for a refund cheque which arrived in the post about 2 weeks later. This has been the process I've had to follow for the past 5 years in both BKK when I lived there and now in Chiang Mai, and again next year for this years tax deduction.

Have you received a cheque for last years (2018) withheld interest? If you did you must be fairly unique as I think everybody else who reported it has received a letter detailing 3 options for payment.

This has been mentioned in multiple threads since about February this year......

6 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

I have accounts with KTB & TMB. When I originally enquired as to how I obtained a refund of the tax deducted from the interest paid to my accounts, BOTH banks told me that NO bank can issue a tax refund. The banks MUST issue a letter showing how much interest was credited to the account and the amount of tax that was deducted. I then had to take the letter to my local Revenue Dept complete a form requesting a refund and wait for a refund cheque which arrived in the post about 2 weeks later. This has been the process I've had to follow for the past 5 years in both BKK when I lived there and now in Chiang Mai, and again next year for this years tax deduction.  However, my new TMB bank manager has added a copy of my pink id card to my file at the bank and my account has now been set so no further tax will ever be deducted from interest paid.

This work only as long you have less interest as 20'000 baht per year!

So for example if you have 1 million on a 2% Fixed deposit you already reach the 20'000 Baht Interest you and would pay Tax again, which you then have to claim back ????.