strange pink card experience

Just now, NanLaew said:

Dear Peter,

I am simply stating what is printed on the card.

We are all agreed that this generic card does have some unstated restrictions on unspecified immigrants but, here's the rub...

These are not printed on the card.

It is most definitely NOT "valid all over Thailand". My out-of-province bank knocked it back as photo ID in favour of my Thai DL.

Best,

NL

Banks will routinely knock back a pink ID to operate an English name bank account, its nothing to do with out of province restrictions, its the fact that its 2 different languages, the account name is in English and the Pink ID name is in Thai.

The same as the airlines, if you see my post 51. 

Its just a broad policy that any ID must be in the same launguage as the account name, airline booking.

I have a bank account opened with a pink ID and the account name is in Thai, I use pink ID to operate this account, in fact, I cant use my passport to operate this account.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I am simply stating what is printed on the card.

We are all agreed that this generic card does have some unstated restrictions on unspecified immigrants but, here's the rub...

These are not printed on the card.

Show me one single card (you used your bank card as an example in your post) that has all terms and conditions printed on the card. 

As an example my bank card shows a symbol to say I can use it anywhere showing a visa card symbol but it doesn't say on the card that I must have sufficient funds in my account to do so, It says that elsewhere, in the terms and conditions

7 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

It is most definitely NOT "valid all over Thailand". My out-of-province bank knocked it back as photo ID in favour of my Thai DL.

So you've finally met a bank teller who doesn't know or understand the terms and conditions or requirements ............. congratulations 5555

20 hours ago, elviajero said:

There is a plan to introduce ID style cards to expats which will include their visa status etc. No idea when that’ll happen as it’s been talked about for ages, but IMO it would be a better option than the pink ID card that isn’t really meant for expat use.

Such cards would certainly be potentially useful for those on annual retirement/marriage extensions of stay - and, hence, I take it, avoid the need for them to have their passports on them at all times. Not sure whether they would, in practice, be of much use, though, for those with (e.g.) extant multi-entry non-O visas and making border runs to obtain fresh permissions to stay every 90 days during the visa's lifetime. Presumably a fresh card would be required for each fresh permission to stay?

Edited by OJAS

1 minute ago, OJAS said:

Presumably a fresh card would be required for each fresh permission to stay?

Would be ideal for people on annual extensions.

A smart card would only need to be updated electronically, not replaced, and could include much more data.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jackdd said:

If they accepted your pink id card they would also have accepted your Thai driving license.

His point is that it can be used, instead of or as well as a DL.  I have had my ID card accepted where my DL has been refused. Does that satisfy you? ....Thought not!

3 minutes ago, sumrit said:

A smart card would only need to be updated electronically, not replaced, and could include much more data.

In which case, individual soldiers & BIB officers, banks, post offices, hotels, hospitals and everyone else who might ask you for ID would presumably need to be armed with electronic readers in order to access the latest info on the smart card? 

7 minutes ago, OJAS said:

In which case, individual soldiers & BIB officers, banks, post offices, hotels, hospitals and everyone else who might ask you for ID would presumably need to be armed with electronic readers in order to access the latest info on the smart card? 

Maybe a simple QR symbol on the card with 1-2-3 stage information/protection, or something similar, that can be accessed via an authorised reader or smart phone would be all what was needed.

Not difficult or complicated. Think about with a positive rather than negative mind for a few minutes. 

6 hours ago, hkt83100 said:

I always use my Thai driving license. It probably is of much more use than the pink ID. (which I didn't bother to get)

If you haven’t bothered to get one you have no idea whether it’s useful or not. All you have is your opinion with no basis in fact!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

I’d love to understand your obsession with proving the ID card is worthless. You keep coming up with the fact that a PP or a DL can do the same thing. Yes, we’re all bright enough to know that. The card is an ALTERNATIVE, easy and cheap to get and on your occasion preferable. I don’t want to carry my passport everywhere but happily keep my card with me always.

I dont understand it either, sour grapes, people go out of their way to prove its worthless, to the point where they keep regurgitating the same old myths about cant travel, not valid in another province etc, even when you give examples of how and when it can be useful.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

I’d love to understand your obsession with proving the ID card is worthless. You keep coming up with the fact that a PP or a DL can do the same thing. Yes, we’re all bright enough to know that. The card is an ALTERNATIVE, easy and cheap to get and on your occasion preferable. I don’t want to carry my passport everywhere but happily keep my card with me always.

You got this wrong, i didn't say the card is worthless. I just say what you said regarding the benefits of this card is wrong.

99% of people who get the pink id card have a Thai driving license already, so when we talk about benefits of the pink id card we should compare it to the driving license.

All benefits which you have mentioned so far are offered with a Thai driving license as well.

According to sumrit you can get a driving license with the pink id card and open a bank account. Here i agree that this is not possible with a driving license and we can consider this a benefit.

Any other tasks which are officially possible with a pink id card but not with a driving license?

Just now, jackdd said:

You got this wrong, i didn't say the card is worthless. I just say what you said regarding the benefits of this card is wrong.

99% of people who get the pink id card have a Thai driving license already, so when we talk about benefits of the pink id card we should compare it to the driving license.

All benefits which you have mentioned so far are offered with a Thai driving license as well.

According to sumrit you can get a driving license with the pink id card and open a bank account. Here i agree that this is not possible with a driving license and we can consider this a benefit.

Any other tasks which are officially possible with a pink id card but not with a driving license?

And for those who dont have a Thai licence? (for whatever reason).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

As I've said to you before, It's the CONVENIENCE of using a pink card and yellow book that make their use worthwhile.

I'm sure you've read many of  different ID card uses on the numerous threads that have surfaced on TV over the last couple of years or so. Just read back over them. But I'll name one you can't use a TDL for if you can reply with one you can use a TDL but can't use a pink card/yellow book. (driving a car legally doesn't count 55555).

You can register a sim card using a pink card.

23 hours ago, scorecard said:

Not sure about that, many TV members have shared they have used the card as an ID at airline check-in and/or at the boarding gate.

Here in CM I'm aware of 3 TV members who produced the card at check-in and it wasn't accepted and after some discussion an airline supervisor appeared and explained that the pink card could not be accepted because it says clearly, on the back, that the holder is not allowed to move more than 35 (that number needs checking) kilometers away from the place of issue.

The airline supervisor also said that knowing the card holder was about to travel a lot further than the 35? K mentioned on the card the airline was concerned that it might be accused by the authorities of accepting something which is not appropriate as an ID for longer distance travel.  

It seems that this explanation has been given several times. 

Some TV members have said the back of their pink card doesn't say anything about travel being restricted to a specific number of kilometers away from the place of issue. I have PR and I have a pink card (issued at the main amphur office for muang Chiang Mai).  and it does mention that the holder cannot travel more than 35? away from the place of issue.

In Bkk I know a Thai lawyer who is very knowledgeable about such matters, he has checked with the ministry involved who say the wording on the back is absolutely standard for all pink cards.  He's also mentioned that the ministry knows that the pink card currently used for foreigners needs to be revised on several points.

The problem is to do with the fact that the ID is only in Thai script. There is no English translation, so it cannot be used for flights, which I understand require an English language name (check out Thai national's ticket, which is printed in English even though they are using a Thai National ID card). If the Pink card had Thai and English language, then it could be used as ID for flights. 

8 minutes ago, sumrit said:

But I'll name one you can't use a TDL for if you can reply with one you can use a TDL but can't use a pink card/yellow book. (driving a car legally doesn't count 55555).

We had one mentioned a few times in this topic already: Domestic flights

1 minute ago, jackdd said:

You're correct, in many places in several provinces,the pink ID-card is almost useless because authorities and banks etc doesn't accept them.

I haven't heard of banks accepting them for opening an account. Maybe out in the sticks somewhere.

Some posters think it's cool to have a pink ID-card. Go figure. ????

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

you're correct, in many places in several provinces,the pink ID-card is almost useless because authorities and banks etc doesn't accept them.

I haven't heard of banks accepting them for opening an account. Maybe out in the sticks somewhere.

Some posters think it's cool to have a pink ID-card. Go figure. ????

I've opened a bank account using just my yellow book and pink ID Card twice in the last couple of years, once at Krung Thai and once at Thanachart. And they were both in Central Plaza in Chonburi. And Chonburi is hardly in the sticks is it.????

I also opened an account at the Bangkok Bank in Si Racha in January this year and they accepted my yellow book and pink ID. Unlike other banks BKKB need extra info. If I'd had a work permit that was all they needed. Because I'm retired they needed a letter from the British Embassy. I used the last proof of income letter from the BE last December and, because that letter had my passport number on it they needed my passport. As they explained, not for my personal ID but to prove the letter was genuine and had the same number as my passport.

Edited by sumrit

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

Already mentioned and discussed previously. Try again or are you going to say 'WITH A DIFFERENT AIRLINE' next time and count it again????????? ????     

How about sending an EMS LETTER abroad from a Thai post office. To do this you need to show ID. Pink ID cards are accepted but TDL's are not.                           

Edited by sumrit
  • Like 2

On 9/4/2019 at 4:01 PM, sumrit said:

Not true. Thai Driving licences may occasionally be accepted but not very often these days.

Always use it on domestic flights, money exchange, booking into hotels and others requiring ID. Rarely a problem.

33 minutes ago, sumrit said:

Already mentioned and discussed previously. Try again or are you going to say 'WITH A DIFFERENT AIRLINE' next time and count it again????????? ????

I used my Thai driving license with different airlines, was always accepted. Many other posters in this thread here confirm this. It can of course happen that you get denied because the staff isn't aware that this is allowed, but the same can happen with the pink id card when you try to get a driving license or open a bank account with it.

In general it's possible to use a Thai driving license for a domestic flight, in general that's not possible with a pink id card.

33 minutes ago, sumrit said:

How about sending an EMS LETTER abroad from a Thai post office. To do this you need to show ID. Pink ID cards are accepted but TDL's are not.

Is there a difference with an EMS letter and a parcel? I've never sent a letter, but a few months ago i sent a parcel with EMS to England, my Thai driving license was accepted. For domestic parcels the Thai driving license is accepted as well.

I just came across this topic, so a bank account with a pink id card might not be possible anymore:

Edited by jackdd

5 minutes ago, Surasak said:

Just had my Pink ID card checked. It does not restrict the holder to any distance from place of residence. It does say however, Only valid in Thailand.

My ex gf (burma) has a pink ID and it restricts her to Chiang Mai. She obtained her motor bike drivers license from the pink ID. Awhile ago we wanted to fly with Air Asia and I told her to just use her DL as ID not pink one. Sales staff look at DL and said she needed letter of permission to fly (i.e. to leave CM) so it obviously has something on DL too. Never bothered asking.

52 minutes ago, sumrit said:

So,how many EMS letters or packages do you send every month? I have a copy of my passport in my phone, and it works for me at the local post office. Haven't been there the last 6 months, though.

13 minutes ago, Surasak said:

Just had my Pink ID card checked. It does not restrict the holder to any distance from place of residence. It does say however, Only valid in Thailand.

Is your card identical with the card shown here?

If it's not identical, please post a picture of the back side of the card

6 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Banks will routinely knock back a pink ID to operate an English name bank account, its nothing to do with out of province restrictions, its the fact that its 2 different languages, the account name is in English and the Pink ID name is in Thai.

I agree, it is not, and I quote you directly here, "valid all over Thailand"

Do you want to borrow my avatar?

7 hours ago, sumrit said:

Show me one single card (you used your bank card as an example in your post) that has all terms and conditions printed on the card. 

As an example my bank card shows a symbol to say I can use it anywhere showing a visa card symbol but it doesn't say on the card that I must have sufficient funds in my account to do so, It says that elsewhere, in the terms and conditions

So you've finally met a bank teller who doesn't know or understand the terms and conditions or requirements ............. congratulations 5555

No, I didn't say anything about any bank card. This is the pink ID card thread.

Do YOU want to borrow my avatar?

Edited by NanLaew

4 hours ago, Max69xl said:

A member has recently posted in this thread that he opened an account in his translated Thai name using his pink ID card and accordingly that ID is the ONLY one acceptable when requested since neither his Thai DL or foreign passport have his name in Thai. Makes sense to me.

I don't think he lives 'out in the sticks' either.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sumrit said:

I assume a TDL is a Thai Drivers Licence....

I sent a small package EMS yesterday using my licence as ID from the Banglamung post office.

2 hours ago, Max69xl said:

So,how many EMS letters or packages do you send every month? I have a copy of my passport in my phone, and it works for me at the local post office. Haven't been there the last 6 months, though.

Quite a lot in the past year or so actually. That's how I know a pink ID card is acceptable.

A friend of mine died suddenly last year and I was named as executor of his estate in his will. I initially went back to the UK to arrange his funeral and initiate things before returning to Thailand to do most of the paperwork from here. All communication to the Probate office in Manchester, Registrars, pension companies, insurance companies, three banks, local authorities, land registry, utilities plus a host of lesser companies had to be contacted by recorded delivery letter and documents both sent and received. Apart from EMS costing a fortune every single one sent and received had to be signed for. So I KNOW the Chonburi Post Office would only accept either my pink ID card or passport as ID for each document signature. Almost all envelopes sent were A4 size with one or two being larger and most containing legal documents. And it's still not completely finished yet.

Never needed to send a parcel to the UK from your local post office so I can't comment on that.

If you have ever been named as an executor you will know just how much paperwork is involved.

Edited by sumrit

2 hours ago, Surasak said:

On the back of the card it says in clear Thai.

First line

This card is NOT an identification card

Third line

It also say. Only valid in the province it has been issued

Edited by ThePioneer