strange pink card experience

19 minutes ago, ThePioneer said:

On the back of the card it says in clear Thai.

First line

This card is NOT an identification card

Third line

It also say. Only valid in the province it has been issued

First line says "This is not a Thai citizen ID". Which its not, its a card to ID foreigners living in Thailand.

The third line says "Cannot travel outside of province unless you have a travel document", Stateless/refugees dont have a passport, we do have a passport, so we can travel.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

First line says "This is not a Thai citizen ID". Which its not, its a card to ID foreigners.

The third line says "Cannot travel outside of province unless you have a travel document", Stateless/refugees dont have a passport, we do have a passport, so we can travel.

Agree about the third line " not allowed to travel outside the jurisdiction except those that have an alien id card or have been issued a travel document" , which still means that the card has no value outside the issuing jurisdiction.

In the first line it doesn't say anything about Thai. It says this is not an identification card. It doesn't say this is not a THAI CITIZEN identification card

Edited by ThePioneer

32 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I find the pink card extremely useful for just about any interface with Thai bureacracy - government or private sector - especially when as is usually the case the functionary I am dealing with does nto speak English. Faces literally light up when I produce the pink card in place of passport, since it provides my name and address in Thai script already and an ID number that unlike passport number exactly fits the fields of whatever computer form they have to enter. Even police at checkpoints prefer it, as soon as they see I have it and a license I am waved right through whereas faces used to scrunch up  unhappily  when I handed over a passport, which they did not really understand how to read (this would be different of course in Bangkok, CM, Pattaya etc) and which did nto provide an address or "explain" me in the same way that they seem to feel the pink ID does.

It has also overcome "farang cannot" type situations when these, as is often the case, were untrue and simply the result of not knowing how -- or wanting to bother figuring out how --  to enter the required information without an ID card as reference.

People working and covered by Thai SS, now that it is a paperless system, have had considerable problems getting registered at their nominated hospital without a pink ID card. Ditto people retiring and wanting to continue SS medical cover on their own -- in fact many SS offices are telling people flatly they cannot do so without a pink ID card (which is not actually true, but only the head office seems to know that).

And lastly, it is often, though not always, possible, to get Thai price at places with 2 tier pricing upon showing the pink ID card.

I agree. I have used pink ID all over Thailand, My address is Pattaya but I have bought a sim card in Phuket, went to hospital in Chaing Mai, signed land office documents (cant claim half of wifes house) in Samut Sakon. It was especially handy when going through the army roadblocks just after the coup.

Edited by Peterw42

6 minutes ago, ThePioneer said:

Agree about the third line " not allowed to travel outside the jurisdiction except those that have an alien id card or have been issued a travel document" , which still means that the card has no value outside the issuing jurisdiction.

In the first line it doesn't say anything about Thai. It says this is not an identification card. It doesn't say this is not a THAI CITIZEN identification card

If you have the card, and are free to travel with it, then it has the same value all over thailand. There is no change in its validity anywhere in Thailand. I have used mine all over Thailand, hospitals, buying sim cards, government offices.

Suggest you turn the card over and read the top line where it says in big bold print "ID card for non Thai people.

Ask any Thai person to explain the "not an ID" statement on the back, they will tell you it means not a Thai (blue) ID card. Basically to stop some one taking it to another country and pretending to be Thai.

3 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

There is no change in its validity anywhere in Thailand.

If it says the holder is not allowed to travel out of this jurisdiction unless he has a alien id card or travel document, it definitely means that the card only has value inside the issuing jurisdiction

6 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I have used mine all over Thailand, hospitals, buying sim cards, government offices.

You know the requirements for a yellow book?

Well I got my yellow book with a residence certificate I had obtained at Jomtien immigration to sell my car, my passport translated by a small office in Soi Post office, no stamps whatsoever from any ministry of interior, no witnesses and no house master name in the blue book.

7 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Ask any Thai person to explain the "not an ID" statement on the back, they will tell you it means not a Thai (blue) ID card. Basically to stop some one taking it to another country and pretending to be Thai.

As if anyone in a foreign country would be able to read what is written on the card.

8 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Suggest you turn the card over and read the top line where it says in big bold print "ID card for non Thai people.

Yes it say identification card for non Thai people on the front, and the manager of the financial department of 3BB, which I assume is better educated than the average Thai person told me the following after examining the card.

This card is only for Aliens to proof their address and can only be used in this province.

Anyway, who cares? Even Thai government officials don't know the law, so you want to tell us you know it?

On 9/4/2019 at 9:55 AM, kokesaat said:

My experience, having had the pink card for many years, is that Thais treat me better when they see the card.  Police, banks, airports.  When I'm asked for my passport, I show my pink ID and that usually does the trick.

I have almost the same experience, Most Thai's i encounter find it interesting and appreciate that i have the card.

On 9/4/2019 at 1:54 PM, wozza said:

I thought I would try this checking in with Air Asia, said they had to see my passport as ID as the pink card had my name in Thai script and my ticket was in English , fair cop i thought,

I tried to do this with Air Asia and had the same experience. (no problem using the Thai DL).

I can understand their reasoning.

11 hours ago, sumrit said:

When renewing a Thai Driving licence, if you use the yellow book instead of a residence certificate from immigration for proof of residence and the pink ID card instead of your passport for ID purposes your Thai ID number will be also be printed on your licence instead of your passport number.

Interesting and i will for sure try it next time i have to renew my Thai DL.

I opened opened a Thai bank account (in Thai script), changed my AIS sim card from Pre Paid to Post Paid and checking into hotels without any problems using the id card.

So for 60 Baht investment i think it is a good thing to have.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, ThePioneer said:

If it says the holder is not allowed to travel out of this jurisdiction unless he has a alien id card or travel document, it definitely means that the card only has value inside the issuing jurisdiction

You and I both have travel documents, they are called passports. We are free to travel, and being free to travel, nowhere on the card does it say this card can only be used in the issuing province. Off the top of my head, I have used the pink ID in 4 different provinces, including a government land office.

Well I got my yellow book with a residence certificate I had obtained at Jomtien immigration to sell my car, my passport translated by a small office in Soi Post office, no stamps whatsoever from any ministry of interior, no witnesses and no house master name in the blue book.

Not sure what that has to with using the card in another province. It appears you were very fortunate as the didnt require the usual documents. I got my yellow book from Pataya city hall and they required everything, MFA translations, witnesses etc. 

Yes it say identification card for non Thai people on the front, and the manager of the financial department of 3BB, which I assume is better educated than the average Thai person told me the following after examining the card.

This card is only for Aliens to proof their address and can only be used in this province.

Anyway, who cares? Even Thai government officials don't know the law, so you want to tell us you know it?

Your 3BB guy doesnt know what he is talking about, nowhere on the card does it say it cant be used in another province, nowhere.

It simply says some people cannot travel with this card, stateless refugees without passports.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 9/4/2019 at 2:25 PM, worgeordie said:

Anyone use the Pink ID card to exchange notes at Bank or Money exchanges,

or do they insist on the passport ?

regards worgeordie 

I use mine every month in KrungThai bank to withdraw the Boss's Salary.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:
50 minutes ago, ThePioneer said:

Not sure what that has to with using the card in another province. It appears you were very fortunate as the didnt require the usual documents.

Comprehension is not for everyone of course.

No I wasn't very lucky, because I had visited the same office the day before, and was told of ALL the requirements.

It means that if I can get my yellow book with completely ignoring at least 4  requirements set by Thai law, then I think it might also be possible to get a sim card with an card that is actually not valid.

So You bought a sim card using the card in a province 1000 km away from where it was issued, Congratulations.

Now try to use the very same pink card to proof your identity when extending your driver license in the department for land transport just 10 km away from the office that issued it.

There are plenty of posts on this forum that it isn't accepted, but tere are also posts that it is accepted in departments in other locations

32 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:
50 minutes ago, ThePioneer said:

You 3BB guy doesnt know what he is talking about, nowhere on the card does it say it cant be used in another province, nowhere.

It simply says some people cannot travel with this card, stateless refugees without passports.

Again, comprehension is not for everyone.

It means that people who hold ONLY this pink card can not travel outside the jurisdiction, but those that hold an alien identification card can travel outside BECAUSE they have that alien identification card to proof their identity OUTSIDE the jurisdiction where the pink card is issued

By the way my "3BB guy" was the female manager of the financial department for the Chonburi province

But I'm happy to be informed that we have a foreign expert on this forum who know the Thai laws better than an educated Thai or a Thai government official.

Edited by ThePioneer

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

A member has recently posted in this thread that he opened an account in his translated Thai name using his pink ID card and accordingly that ID is the ONLY one acceptable when requested since neither his Thai DL or foreign passport have his name in Thai. Makes sense to me.

I don't think he lives 'out in the sticks' either.

Show me any banks requirements allowing a foreigner opening a Thai bank account using a pink ID-card,and I give you anything you want. I promise you this, you won't find one bank. I have had several Thai bank accounts,still have two active accounts in two banks,and not long ago I checked requirements for opening a bank account for a foreigner in every bank. I know everything there is to know about requirements,so the guy who claims he opened an account using a pink ID-card is either lying, or he found the dumbest girl ever working in customer service. 

On 9/4/2019 at 5:54 AM, jackdd said:

Because of the travel restriction which is written on the back of the card, i'm quite sure that these cards were introduced for people who came into Thailand to seek asylum and who couldn't get any other identification document.

I don't see why you anybody would feel discriminated just because he can't get the same card as a person who had to flee from his home.

Nothing to do with asylum it has to do with migrant workers from Cambodia, Laos, Burma etc. 

2 hours ago, ThePioneer said:

As if anyone in a foreign country would be able to read what is written on the card.

"This card is only for Aliens to proof their address and can only be used in this province."

I remember reading about the pink ID-card when it was released for farang. It said the card was a proof of having a yellow housebook. That was all. I do agree that it is more functional than having a crappy housebook in the wallet all the time. It would be nice,though if the pink ID-card could be used as an official ID-card exactly same as the Thai ID-card.

On 9/4/2019 at 2:25 PM, worgeordie said:

Anyone use the Pink ID card to exchange notes at Bank or Money exchanges,

or do they insist on the passport ?

regards worgeordie 

couple of years ago, the Land office preferred Local Pink ID card over passport ... 

8 hours ago, ThePioneer said:

Now try to use the very same pink card to proof your identity when extending your driver license in the department for land transport just 10 km away from the office that issued it.

There are plenty of posts on this forum that it isn't accepted, but tere are also posts that it is accepted in departments in other locations

I did EXACTLY that in Chonburi. In fact I've done it three times so far!!!!

That's twice to simply renew my TDL and once to replace it after it was stolen/lost. Accepted without question on all three occasions.

The posts you've seen where the yellow book and/or the Pink ID card is not accepted are from people going to the office in Pattaya.  And from your posts, you live in Pattaya. The licence office there have an 'arrangement' with Jomtien Immigration to share the proceeds from the (illegal) payments for residents certificates issued to obtain a driving licence. That's why they insist on a residence certificate, it's an illegal backhander for them, It's got absolutely NOTHING to do with the validity of the yellow book OR the Pink ID card.

You don't have to go to your nearest office.  The Chonburi Office less than an hour up the Seven. Next time you need to renew your licence, go there instead. But remember, you must use BOTH your Yellow Book AND your Pink ID Card together.  

1 hour ago, Don Mega said:

Bt.1186.

Contents was vital but not legal type information.

And was that from a main post office or was it from one of these local postal shops that are privately owned and sometimes bend the rules to get the income?

Edited by sumrit

7 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Show me any banks requirements allowing a foreigner opening a Thai bank account using a pink ID-card,and I give you anything you want. I promise you this, you won't find one bank. I have had several Thai bank accounts,still have two active accounts in two banks,and not long ago I checked requirements for opening a bank account for a foreigner in every bank. I know everything there is to know about requirements,so the guy who claims he opened an account using a pink ID-card is either lying, or he found the dumbest girl ever working in customer service. 

I have a bank account opened with a Pink ID, I dont think its a foreigner account, I may be a foreigner but with the pink ID that has a Thai id number on it and my name in Thai, I opened an everyday Thai account. No different to a Thai national opening an account with their blue ID and ID number.

When I opened the account I presented passport and Pink ID, the girl at the bank gave me a choice, I could use passport to open an English name account or pink ID to open a Thai name account. I recall the manager saying the pink ID was easier for them as the ID number goes straight into the bank software.

The bank requirements for a foreigner opening an account probably doesn't list pink ID as its a Thai ID opening a Thai account.

Maybe the bank has it completely wrong but it seemed pretty straight forward at the time, ID card issued by Thai Government, name and address in Thai, I wasn't really presenting as a foreigner with no ID other than a passport.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I have a bank account opened with a Pink ID, I dont think its a foreigner account, I may be a foreigner but with the pink ID that has a Thai id number on it and my name in Thai, I opened an everyday Thai account. No different to a Thai national opening an account with their blue ID and ID number.

When I opened the account I presented passport and Pink ID, the girl at the bank gave me a choice, I could use passport to open an English name account or pink ID to open a Thai name account. I recall the manager saying the pink ID was easier for them as the ID number goes straight into the bank software.

The bank requirements for a foreigner opening an account probably doesn't list pink ID as its a Thai ID opening a Thai account.

I also opened two bank accounts using a Pink ID and a Yellow book, one at Krung Thai and the other at Thanachart and both at Central Plaza in Chonburi. I didn't even take my PP with me. At both banks their first question was 'do I have my Passport and proof of address with me'. I replied no, but offered my Pink ID and a Yellow book instead. At both banks they smiled and proceeded without any problems. Likewise, my name is written in Thai in both accounts. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, sumrit said:

I did EXACTLY that in Chonburi. In fact I've done it three times so far!!!!

That's twice to simply renew my TDL and once to replace it after it was stolen/lost. Accepted without question on all three occasions.

The posts you've seen where the yellow book and/or the Pink ID card is not accepted are from people going to the office in Pattaya.  And from your posts, you live in Pattaya. The licence office there have an 'arrangement' with Jomtien Immigration to share the proceeds from the (illegal) payments for residents certificates issued to obtain a driving licence. That's why they insist on a residence certificate, it's an illegal backhander for them, It's got absolutely NOTHING to do with the validity of the yellow book OR the Pink ID card.

You don't have to go to your nearest office.  The Chonburi Office less than an hour up the Seven. Next time you need to renew your licence, go there instead. But remember, you must use BOTH your Yellow Book AND your Pink ID Card together.  

I think it also comes down to what document you first used to get your licence, start with a passport its passport for renewal etc, start with a pink ID (that number is on license instead of passport) its pink ID for renewals etc.

Edited by Peterw42

2 minutes ago, sumrit said:

I also opened two bank accounts using a Pink ID and a Yellow book, one at Krung Thai and the other at Thanachart and both at Central Plaza in Chonburi. I didn't even take my PP with me. At both banks their first question was 'do I have my Passport and proof of address with me'. I replied no, but offered my Pink ID and a Yellow book instead. At both banks they smiled and proceeded without any problems. Likewise, my name is written in Thai in both accounts. 

Please pass that on to @Max69xl who thinks we are all lying.

As with bank accounts, license or even airline booking, if you start with a pink ID its the pink ID to operate, renew etc. Start with a passport (name in english) then pink ID in another language wont usually be accepted.

• Like 1

I also use KTB Account which I can't access the money with the passport as it was opened with the PINK ID! The system have now knowledge of my passport. Of course the name is in Thai as well so this would mean the passport wouldn't even match!

15 hours ago, Max69xl said:

You're correct, in many places in several provinces,the pink ID-card is almost useless because authorities and banks etc doesn't accept them.

I haven't heard of banks accepting them for opening an account. Maybe out in the sticks somewhere.

Some posters think it's cool to have a pink ID-card. Go figure. ????

I think there are some examples which people could open an account in my case it was in Bangkok (Silom Area KTB)!

I am really to lazy to read the bank requirements in Thai! because when they translate the requirements to English, what they mostly do is use the word passport. But for KTB in Bangkok the Pink id is really accepted.

I once asked the Kasikorn and they told I have to close my accounts and then reopen them as they can't change the Passport to Pink ID in the system. But they would do it.

What are the advantages on Pink ID which wasn't mentioned yet is, that you can use PromptPay with a ID that looks like a Thai ID!

I know you can use PromptPay with your Mobile-Number and this will work in most cases.. but for example for Tax Refund it will not work.. but with the PInk-ID (PromptPay) it works.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Peterw42 said:

I think it also comes down to what document you first used to get your licence, start with a passport its passport for renewal etc, start with a pink ID (that number is on ID instead of passport) its pink ID for renewals etc.

No, I've lived here for fifteen years and Yellow Books and your Pink ID Cards weren't readily available then. I, like everybody else, used my passport and a residence certificate. I only started to use my Yellow Book and your Pink ID Card after I was issued with them. My first TDL's had my passport number on them but, as soon as I changed the docs I presented, the number was replaced with my ID number. As usual I'm still initially asked for my PP but I just offer my Yellow Book and your Pink ID Card instead and they just continue without question (first time the guy on the desk asked his boss first though).

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, sumrit said:

No, I've lived here for fifteen years and Yellow Books and your Pink ID Cards weren't readily available then. I, like everybody else, used my passport and a residence certificate. I only started to use my Yellow Book and your Pink ID Card after I was issued with them. My first TDL's had my passport number on them but, as soon as I changed the docs I presented, the number was replaced with my ID number. As usual I'm still initially asked for my PP but I just offer my Yellow Book and your Pink ID Card instead and they just continue without question (first time the guy on the desk asked his boss first though).

Yes I think they should be able to do it... My Kasikorn Branch told me.. they can't change it in the system but would be happy to reopen the accounts! I guess some person on the table who not know how to change the passport number to the PinkID... who knows

7 minutes ago, HampiK said:

Yes I think they should be able to do it... My Kasikorn Branch told me.. they can't change it in the system but would be happy to reopen the accounts! I guess some person on the table who not know how to change the passport number to the PinkID... who knows

Yes, I'd almost forgotten, When my wallet was stolen a while ago, as well as losing my TDL, I lost my Kasikorn bank card. When I went into the bank to cancel the original and get a new one. They wouldn't accept my Pink ID card as ID because it was in Thai while my account was in English with my ID NUMBER being my passport number. 

Edited by sumrit

10 minutes ago, HampiK said:

I asked at pattaya DLT about changing from passport issued license to pink ID issued (as they dont accept mixing IDs for renewals etc) the answer was yes but it would involve cancelling current license and start again, so I didnt bother. Friends have pink ID issued licenses and use YB/pink for renewals etc. Besides, I like my current license photo, lol

54 minutes ago, sumrit said:

And was that from a main post office or was it from one of these local postal shops that are privately owned and sometimes bend the rules to get the income?

A main post office.

Do you think Iam lying  ?