strange pink card experience

13 hours ago, jackdd said:

But there are two versions, one version says "unless you have a permit", the other (probably newer) version says "unless you have a passport or a permit".

That's comes close to what is on mine.

"...except those who have an "alien identity card"(?) or who have received written permission."

For better translation I will put it on a separate thread in the Thai language forum.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1121842-notes-on-the-pink-card/

Edited by KhunBENQ

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

Maybe include the sentence prior to that one, instead of selectively quoting.

Most people are aware that the ID number comes from the yellow book and is repeated on the Pink ID. So any reference to a pink ID is including the yellow book that it came from.

You are just being pedantic for no reason

Small point, for many PR holders their name is in the dark blue household registration book (tabien baan book).  

20 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

The yellow book (which I got easily) was of some value like serving a proof of residence of the motor office and when opening new bank account.

Didn't need a proof of residence since many years.

Hard to say how much of value the pink card is.

Indeed it is not designed very useful (name only in Thai script e.g.) and was not meant for "expats".

It says in Thai that I must not leave the district(!) without permission :biggrin:

But who cares as long as I have a passport (which Burmese slave workers usually didn't have).

Merchants are happy to have something in Thai to write a bill/receipt or the like.

The pink ID-card is proof for having a yellow housebook. In some provinces it's somewhat usual,in others not so much. But it's better to carry around an ID-card than a crappy yellow housebook.

• Like 1

I had a similar reaction from my Amphur - basically because the guy was trying to avoid the work of registering my application (fortunately his boss put him to rights here). I now have my card and it is useful - 'though hardly essential. People have had different experiences and some even successfully paying the Thai rate for dual-priced attractions.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Small point, for many PR holders their name is in the dark blue household registration book (tabien baan book). 

Yes, PR holders are in the blue Tabien Baan, but, included on their individual details page, as well as their name etc. is their own personal Thai ID number. 

PR holders can't have a Thai ID card but, if they want a pink ID card instead their ID number is taken from their page in the blue Tabien Baan.

18 hours ago, sumrit said:

Got to agree with that. Would be a very good move.......if it ever gets off the ground.

Same as the 10-year visa promised for retirees earlier this year, and the end of 90-day reporting that was promised earlier this year. Talking costs nothing, but actually doing something, ahh. That's something else entirely.

• Like 1

This may or may not be of interest. Ubonjoe sent it to me when I was querying something about the pink card. It's all written it Thai but basically confirms who is and who isn't entitled to apply for a card and what the rules are. Sorry, I've lost the English translation a friend did for me.

foreigner ID CardDOPA Manual - Civil Registration and Nationality.pdf

18 hours ago, sumrit said:

Personally, I find the card very useful For me it's the CONVENIENCE that's the key.

Totally agree. Sometimes it helps sometimes it doesn’t. EVERYTHING is like that in Thailand. The naysayers are so adamant that it’s useless you wonder why. My experience has shown its useful and there have been a couple of occasions at parks where DL isn’t accepted but pink card is. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

The yellow book (which I got easily) was of some value like serving a proof of residence of the motor office and when opening new bank account.

Indeed it is not designed very useful (name only in Thai script e.g.) and was not meant for "expats".

It says in Thai that I must not leave the district(!) without permission :biggrin:

But who cares as long as I have a passport (which Burmese slave workers usually didn't have).

Merchants are happy to have something in Thai to write a bill/receipt or the like.

I stand corrected on my mistranslated translation.

It is indeed only valid in the Amphoe that issued it, must be carried so it can be produced when asked for and I need a permit to travel outside that amphoe.

Edited by NanLaew

3 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

It is in deed only valid in the Amphoe that issued it and I need a permit to travel outside that amphoe.

I believe that only applies to stateless people who have no other form of travel document.

20 hours ago, kokesaat said:

My experience, having had the pink card for many years, is that Thais treat me better when they see the card.  Police, banks, airports.  When I'm asked for my passport, I show my pink ID and that usually does the trick.

My experience also.As for it being of no use  4 weeks after obtaining it for 60 baht I used it at the Fang Hot Springs National Park and got Thai price for admittance, 50 baht instead of 500 baht. Used it several times at checking in at hotels/resorts, causes some amusement but never rejected. The least number of times your passport is copied ,sometimes in the back room ,the better imo

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, The Theory said:

I use my Thai D/M license for money exchange. There are different places that ask for PP, but it does not mean that you have to use PP only. 

For selling foreign currency, driving license is enough. Where as if buying foreign currency the passport is essential.

16 hours ago, Myran said:

Your answer reveals much more prejudice than what you incorrectly managed to find in my original post.

"These Thai people at dinner have something wrong with them". Nope, wonderful and smart people who I respect very much.

"And besides, what's wrong with Burmese laborers?" No idea, I sure didn't say there were anything wrong with them. My Thai friends laughed because these cards aren't anything special; even poor, Burmese immigrants can get them. It was funny because he thought this card was somehow special and equal to a normal Thai ID card.

"Why should westerners be considered "better" than them to warrant such a bizarre and baseless reaction?" – Again, no idea. What are you basing your own bizarre and baseless reactions on? Maybe you should deal with your obvious prejudice against Thai people before hurling insults around.

Actually I think it's the prejudices of the Thai people you went to dinner with that is the problem.

No normal person laughs at anyone with a pink ID card or any document that is issued to them by that country.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, sumrit said:

You can't use a Thai Driving Licence to open a bank account, register a sim card renew a driving licence or (if you include a yellow book) prove your address when extending your stay with Immigration and buy a car/motorcycle to same just a few of many examples.

Foreigners don't need to prove their Nationality either. The Pink ID Card and yellow Tabien Baan are a more convenient option when needing to prove Identification and Official Residence.

When going to National Parks a lot (but not all) will give the Thai price on production of a pink ID card. Personally I've only been refused once, at the sea world centre in Bang Saen, Chonburi. Getting the Thai price very rarely happens when showing a TDL. But non Thais who look Thai (almost) always get in for the Thai price because they're never asked for ID.

Fewer and fewer hotels are accepting TDL's when checking in these days but, up till now, my ID card has always been accepted. That could change in the future though.

Foreigners do need to prove their nationality for entering national parks IF they want to avail themselves of the Thai price.

That is, they start with a Thai driver's license, long-term visa, pink ID card, yellow book or PR book. If none of these work, then it's only a Thai citizen ID card or passport that will get them the local price.

Westerners or other non-Thai looking people always have this burden of proof to show before being allowed to gain access to places for the local price. A Filipina or Lao tourist or migrant worker just needs to show their face and say nothing and they get the local price as you say, which is unfair. Exceptions are Chinese tourists in obviously touristy places, but go to a waterfall in Tak province which only 2 foreigners visit a year and anyone who looks Thai gets in for the local price without being asked for ID.

TDLs can be used for check-in at hotels in most places I've been to. Haven't noticed any difference between now and a few years ago and I travel a lot.

22 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

I have permission to leave the province from my wife.  It's more like she says, " don't you have some place to go?"

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, The Theory said:

You are absolutely right. But essential for you or everyone ? I can buy it without a PP. 

That's what the law says. All the big money changers require it, the rest of them I do not know as I don't frequent them because the smaller ones also give lower rates.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, drbeach said:

Actually I think it's the prejudices of the Thai people you went to dinner with that is the problem.

No normal person laughs at anyone with a pink ID card or any document that is issued to them by that country.

Nope, there is no prejudice, which you would know if you actually read what I wrote.

But I get it, better to double down and pretend like you're not actually reading what I'm writing instead of admitting that you F'ed up and based your answer on prejudice against Thai people.

Isn't it funny how the people who are the quickest to draw the racist card often are the ones with the most prejudiced views.

But whatever floats your boat, mate ????

4 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Here is why a Pink ID cannot be used for domestic check-in, Notice the red script from nok air booking site.

Name must be filled in English characters and be sure to match the documents you are holding.

Pink ID is name in Thai script so does not match the booking.

Nothing to do with the statement on the back of the pink ID about travel restrictions for migrant workers.

image.png.7884605951eea4d2515e7d553e37e91c.png

You are of course correct but I have used it on many occasions to fly domestic only once did they say no and that was in Chang Mai (but in past experience of that hole it's chang mai in general) 

36 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I stand corrected on my mistranslated translation.

It is indeed only valid in the Amphoe that issued it, must be carried so it can be produced when asked for and I need a permit to travel outside that amphoe.

The travel restrictions apply to migrant workers/stateless people etc, Expats do not need a travel permit. The card is valid all over Thailand.

Why would you post such rubbish ?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jackdd said:

If they accepted your pink id card they would also have accepted your Thai driving license. So these were bald examples if you want to show that a pink id card is useful.

People like yourself will find fault or any reason to pop pop something they either don't have or don't understand.

If you read my post re Nong kai border post As he couldn't understand English written or verbal the pink I'd was the best solution.

But hey ho

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, fourpack said:

People like yourself will find fault or any reason to pop pop something they either don't have or don't understand.

If you read my post re Nong kai border post As he couldn't understand English written or verbal the pink I'd was the best solution.

But hey ho

A Thai driving license also has your address in Thai script on it, so you could have given him this instead, would have worked in the same way (as in most other situations)

Edited by jackdd

6 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Probably. But we are talking about what is printed on what appears to be a generic, one-size-fits-all pink ID card.

................with the full terms and conditions held elsewhere because, like all credit size/style cards, they can't fit every bit of information onto the card.

4 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

The travel restrictions apply to migrant workers/stateless people etc, Expats do not need a travel permit. The card is valid all over Thailand.

Why would you post such rubbish ?

Dear Peter,

I am simply stating what is printed on the card.

We are all agreed that this generic card does have some unstated restrictions on unspecified immigrants but, here's the rub...

These are not printed on the card.

It is most definitely NOT "valid all over Thailand". My out-of-province bank knocked it back as photo ID in favour of my Thai DL.

Best,

NL