New Bank Regulations as of 26 August

1 minute ago, Vacuum said:

Sounds like a local thing with TMB. I've never been asked for any ID on withthdrawal or deposit (Bkk Bank, Krung Sri)

Same here but according to TMB and they have signs , new regulations by BOT effective  as of 26 August , foreigners passport only and Thai , ID card only , no other forms of identification.

I made a joke , what if thai not have ID card but passport , answer was , no, only thai ID card for Thai 

Never for deposits for me.

Withdrawals, yes because if I'm at the teller I'm taking out real money. Usually 100k I've had no problems using Thai driver's license. They make photocopy.

Yesterday I WD 500k moved it next door (avoid tranf fees). SCB asked for pp and wrote ## but no photocopy. BKK bank just happily took the money.

Not doubting your report. Jus sayin

Edited by Number 6
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, BestB said:

Yup, no more DL, silly part is DL has your passport number .

It's a minor inconvenience. If I'm withdrawing serious money I'd expect to produce a passport. If not just use ATM. If they stop ATM use for farang that's a red flag for me. Another move to push us out.

Ironically direct deposits from work I'm certain will be gladly accepted without ID.

• Like 1

Anybody who opened a bank account with a pink id card tried to take out money at the counter?

Were there any problems?

Did they insist on the passport? (But the problem would be that spelling of the names obviously doesn't match)

Edited by jackdd

38 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Anybody who opened a bank account with a pink id card tried to take out money at the counter?

Were there any problems?

Did they insist on the passport? (But the problem would be that spelling of the names obviously doesn't match)

For opening bank account they always wanted passport as it has visa status as well. But withdrawals were never a problem . I was able I withdraw and deposit 2-3 million baht with Thai DL. 

Just 2 weeks ago , same branch I had no problem taking out 200000 with thai ID, today signs all over the place . Staff were rather apologetic but new rules by BOT according to the branch manager

3 minutes ago, BestB said:

For opening bank account they always wanted passport

There are people who could open a bank account with their pink id card. Because the pink id card only has the name in Thai, this means that the name in the banking system is in Thai script, and if this persons tries to access his account with a passport the names don't match.

• Like 1

Usually have to do this, can't recall if my pink id was ever OK. No idea why apart from yet another idea to use the photocopier.

Anyone know why they do this apart from waste or because they can?

• Like 1

That would be strange, as my passport would not match any information with their system!

I just deposit some money on Monday and I only showed the Pink ID, which was enough. Nothing was mentioned of a passport.

39 minutes ago, HampiK said:

That would be strange, as my passport would not match any information with their system

But it does identify who you are even if you're depositing money in someone else's account and by checking your TM.30 the SWAT team will know where to find you.

Bangkok Bank has always wanted a passport to withdraw money and it had to match what was on record which is why you need to update information when you get a new passport.  I would hope they don't hand out my money to someone claiming to be me but without passport.

On the other hand for awhile banks have been asking for passport when paying bills like 3BB or True Vision. If someone else wants to pay my bills that's OK with me.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

Always had to produce my passport at Bangkok Bank for many years. They will not accept my driver's license despite it having my passport number and address on it. Had the account there for 25 years and the Bank Manager knows me well but rules are rules as there have been too many scams.

16 hours ago, Lamkyong said:

nothing new for myself with KASIKORN bank any tranactions  have always  required PP exceot using ATM

Strangely, Krungthai asked for my passport even when paying bills, so I stopped going there. Some banks don't allow paying bills anymore, all supposed to be done on line.

Just got a new bankbook with my Thai ID card at Krungthai Bank. For all transactions they accept my Thai ID-card. That you now have to show your ID-card or passport is something from this year.

My Thai DL has my Thai ID-card number, my old one I got before the pink ID-card had my passport number.

16 hours ago, Lamkyong said:

nothing new for myself with KASIKORN bank any tranactions  have always  required PP exceot using ATM

Been going to a new kBank branch for the past year or so.     Only thing I show them is my bank passbook and the cash I want to deposit.   I sign my name on the deposit slip they fill out and then go on  my merry way.

Mileage will vary depending on the branch perhaps.

Edited by watcharacters
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, BestB said:

So..

Meaning nothing is for sure anymore.

Every information is welcome, but doesn't mean nothing anymore.

Rules can be differently interpreted/applied from one location to another.

Even more divergently in case of Immigration.

Sadly, a report now, is only something which happened to someone in particular, at some place, at some time.

Further no any guarantee.

• Like 1