New Bank Regulations as of 26 August

I have a IDD account with Bangkok bank, and US gov does not allow ATM withdrawals from the account, so I have to move funds to another account directly from a teller. Bangkok bank has always required a passport when I withdraw....then I take the funds to kbank, at same inside location, and Deposit to kbank....for deposits they never ask for any ID, and my ATM works for withdrawals.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to KrungSri Bank today to pay my credit card bill. They asked for my passport. I asked them why as I am only paying a bill and they stated it is a new rule. I said I have been paying this credit card bill monthly for many years at this bank without ID but they insisted that I show ID. I told them I didn't have my passport on me but I did have my Thai DL. They said that that was okay. I also asked if they were the only bank doing this and they said every bank is now doing this.

In the future, I will try to remember to take my passport along when paying bills in person. I don't understand the need for ID when paying a bill. What a crazy rule.

• Confused 1

On 9/6/2019 at 9:43 AM, userabcd said:

Don't know, but when establishing a bank account, a passport is usually the doc of record to open an account for aliens.

Or a pink ID card and yellow book. At least that's all I needed at Krung Thai and Thanachart banks.

On 9/7/2019 at 10:32 AM, BestB said:
On 9/7/2019 at 10:07 AM, jackdd said:

Not long ago i saw a topic here on Thaivisa that somebody was asked for his ID when paying a bill in Big C.

Insane comes to mind ????

Apparently they ask for ID  in case there's a problem and the transaction can't be completed, and they can return the payment to you. At least that's what my wife says.

On 9/7/2019 at 1:59 PM, DILLIGAD said:

So that’s another transaction, a pink ID card cannot be used for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends what form of ID you used to open the bank account. 

If you used a passport/residence certificate to open the account your account details will be in English so it stands to reason, if asked for ID, you will be asked to show your passport

BUT

if, as I did, you used your pink ID/Yellow book to open the account, all your account details will be in Thai so you will need to show your Pink ID Card for identification and NOT your passport. At least that's what Krung Thai bank have just told me.

If you try to use a passport when you opened the account using  Pink ID card it's impossible to verify the spelling and the passport number will definitely not match the Thai ID number so they can't be interchanged

Edited by sumrit

Last week I made an online transfer $10k from Vanguard to my Bangkok Bank account.  Today, I made online transfers from that Bangkok Bank account to my Siam Commercial and Krungthai accounts (no fee).  

Apart from going to the bank once a year to get my bank letter for immigration, there's hardly another need to go to the bank.  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...