UK Bank GBP Cheque

I'm looking for some info from anyone who has banked a cheque in a bank in the UK, preferably at Barclays Bank.

I left the UK in 2002 and I have now received a cheque drawn on LLoyds bank for a sale of shares due to a takeover and compulsory purchase. I was going to post it to my sister to deposit it in my UK account but a friend warned me that a lot of banks won't let a third party deposit a cheque. I've messaged Barclays and they replied no, your sister cannot deposit a cheque on your behalf. What I want to know is if my Brother in Law takes the cheque do the bank ask for ID so they can prove the cheque is not in his name ?

Seems to be a common issue now in the UK, you can't even pay cash into someone else's account.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/experts/article-5664429/Why-wont-Nationwide-Building-Society-let-pay-cash-counter-party-accounts.html

Crazy!

Anyway, it may be easier (but a lot slower) to pay the cheque into your Thai bank and eat the fees ????

• Like 1

Just Googled Barclays cheque deposit machines and there's an article on how to do it but you need to insert your debit card into the ATM so this would not work for a third party as the names and account would not match.

https://pocketsense.com/deposit-check-barclays-atm-8105552.html

I've emailed the originator of the cheque asking if I can return it and have the sum paid by BACS so I am waiting their reply.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

30 minutes ago, YorkshireTyke said:

I've emailed the originator of the cheque asking if I can return it and have the sum paid by BACS so I am waiting their reply.

Which is what I did fairly recently, I had to send the cheque back first, I couldn't just tear it up, and then they deposited the funds into my account.

I've received an email reply from Link Asset Services, the originator of the cheque and they say for corporate action payments they cannot pay by BACS , only send cheques to the registered name and address of the share holder.

I'm waiting until Monday for a reply from my friend at Krungsri bank to see what exchange rate and charges I will get if I deposit it to my account there.

can deposit into Barclays at the post office needs a paying in slip and a sealed paying in envelope

https://www.barclays.co.uk/ways-to-bank/post-office-banking/

To pay in cheques, you’ll need a pre-printed paying-in slip and a cheque-deposit envelope. Fill in all of the details and hand it to the Post Office staff. Cheques deposited this way will take two days to reach your account.

• Like 2

Here's an update for anyone else in the same position in the future.

My sister went into her branch of Barclays yesterday and they said no problem, she can deposit the cheque into my account !

My friend at Krungsri Bank said there will be a charge of 300 Baht, it will take a month to clear and I will get the TT rate which yesterday was 37.35 although it would be the rate one month from now when the cheque clears.

• Like 1