Expats keeping a phone number in their citizenship country (aka MagicJack not working).

On 2/26/2022 at 1:35 PM, JimmyJ said:

Yellowtail/cokesaat/ others -

How much are you paying for Mint and what's included?

I tried my citi app today with a vpn no issues.

I also have mint mobile ! Ive had it since 2019

$180+tax for 1 year 

I only use it for the bank verification txt codes! I use a cheap Alcatel flip phone!

I use my IPhone here in Thailand with a thai sim card for everything else

• Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...

I can confirm that to receive codes/OTP's on TextNow it is now necessary to spend money.

I went for 4.99 USD per year to retain one's phone number. Not necessary to make 1 call or text per month to retain # after paying for this.

Using the account to text/call still free but cannot receive codes without paying.

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Thanks 2
22 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

I can confirm that to receive codes/OTP's on TextNow it is now necessary to spend money.

I went for 4.99 USD per year to retain one's phone number. Not necessary to make 1 call or text per month to retain # after paying for this.

Using the account to text/call still free but cannot receive codes without paying.

Have you actually tested your TextNow number since you switched to their annual fee plan to see if in fact it does successfully receive bank-type SMS codes under that arrangement?

On 9/6/2019 at 7:27 AM, JimmyJ said:

In my case, MagicJack has a system technical problem affecting many users.

All the institutions I deal with have no problem sending the codes to my MJ phone #.

1 bank refused me an account partially because they couldn't verify the phone #, but it was a small bank. That's the 1st time I've encountered that issue.

The problem is some institutions want a number they can verify from the phone company by accessing the phone company's billing records.

How can any VOIP number get past that hurdle?

Edited by In Full Agreement
  • Like 1
12 minutes ago, In Full Agreement said:

The problem is some institutions want a number they can verify from the phone company by accessing the phone company's billing records.

How can any VOIP number get past that hurdle?

Those cases are very rare, although very slowly increasing.

If I had that issue and nothing would solve it, I would use a different bank.

I have many accounts.  A VOIP # is my main #, no problems.

Many of us (including me) have a cheap US SIM # we use as backup - most use Ultramobile/Paygo = 3.00 USD/month.

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Like 1
9 minutes ago, In Full Agreement said:

Can you provide a few examples of companies that require this? 

1 minute ago, In Full Agreement said:

A big one for me presently is TurboTax. 

I wonder if any tax preparation software does not require it "For your protection, of course".

I use Turbo-Tax but I don't think I ever had to call them for anything. 

Do you get the e-file to work? 

3 hours ago, In Full Agreement said:

A big one for me presently is TurboTax. 

I wonder if any tax preparation software does not require it "For your protection, of course".

I used OLT to file for free on our 2021 tax.  I have Google Voice, but I don't think I needed to verify by SMS.

• 5 weeks later...

I don"t recall if this was ever mentioned in the thread - 

Ultramobile/Paygo SIM Kit being sold on eBay for $13.00/free 4 day shipping.

(I learned about this on the Ultra/Paygo website).

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2021 at 7:28 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

FWIW, I don't have an UltraMobile/Paygo SIM or service. So can't help with your request.

I do have a regular $3 a month original T-Mobile prepaid SIM and service, which I've had for more than 15 years now. And for some reason, in recent months, T-M started blocking incoming calls to my phone, even though incoming SMS messages still arrive fine.

When I call my own T-M number from any other phone, I get a T-M recording saying there isn't enough balance to complete the call -- even though I had plenty of funds when I was testing that.

When I finally called T-M customer service to ask what the heck was going on, the rep checked and came back finally, and asked me if I was in Thailand. I answered no, then asked why he was asking. And he said, because their system had detected my phone making a data connection from Thailand. And I then told him, yes I'd been traveling in Thailand recently.

In the end, the guy said calling to my number probably would remain blocked until the next time my phone reconnects to T-M's U.S. data network.  ????

fyi, I've had further developments with this in the ensuing months since my original post above, as someone who's been stuck here in Thailand for almost 3 years now, and unable / unwilling to travel back to the U.S. amid COVID.

Basically, these days, if I try to use my valid, topped up prepaid TM SIM via regular mobile roaming here, I still get the blocking of incoming calls to my TM number. However!!!.... if I disconnect from the roaming mobile network and just rely on the TM-compatible wifi-calling feature that is functional on that particular mobile phone, then it receives incoming calls to my TM number just fine still.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 2
On 5/18/2022 at 4:22 AM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

fyi, I've had further developments with this in the ensuing months since my original post above, as someone who's been stuck here in Thailand for almost 3 years now, and unable / unwilling to travel back to the U.S. amid COVID.

Basically, these days, if I try to use my valid, topped up prepaid TM SIM via regular mobile roaming here, I still get the blocking of incoming calls to my TM number. However!!!.... if I disconnect from the roaming mobile network and just rely on the TM-compatible wifi-calling feature that is functional on that particular mobile phone, then it receives incoming calls to my TM number just fine still.

Do you have a iPhone or android?what model? Does it get txt msg as well as calls ?

Edited by riclag
1 hour ago, riclag said:

Do you have a iPhone or android?what model? Does it get txt msg as well as calls ?

All of my phones are Android. And the models that I've been using with the T-Mobile SIM happen to be T-Mobile compatible Motorolas, since they specifically support TM wifi calling... and not all Android models do.

And yes, I get text messages and calls here in TH via the TM prepaid SIM. I'm pretty sure I was still able to get text messages on that SIM regardless of whether I was on mobile data roaming or wifi mode.... It was the calls part that was a problem when in mobile roaming mode.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

All of my phones are Android. And the models that I've been using with the T-Mobile SIM happen to be T-Mobile compatible Motorolas, since they specifically support TM wifi calling... and not all Android models do.

And yes, I get text messages and calls here in TH via the TM prepaid SIM. I'm pretty sure I was still able to get text messages on that SIM regardless of whether I was on mobile data roaming or wifi mode.... It was the calls part that was a problem when in mobile roaming mode.

Yeah, as I remember, T-Mobile sim will work in Thailand. 

Ultramobile/Paygo update:

8 months ago I posted that when I had a USA bank CALL ME abroad with an OTP on my Ultra/Paygo #,  I was charged the same rate as if I had called the USA from Thailand - $2.39 USD/minute.

I avoided any further voice calls until now, but finally gave a 2nd test to find out if it was a one off glitch or not.

Unfortunately, once again a USA bank CALLING ME from the USA to Thailand was charged at the $2.39 rate.

Calling Thailand from the USA using Ultra/Paygo:

"Can I make an international call using my PayGo plan?"

"Yes, you can make calls to 200+ international destinations using your PayGo plan. Visit our Rate Checker at ultramobile.com/paygo to learn more."

Find Your Rate

Yocan use your PayGo wallet balance to place international calls.

Check Your Ratechevron-right.svg
COUNTRY
LANDLINE
MOBILE
THAILAND
25¢ /MIN.
25¢ /MIN.

I had thought that Receiving a call from the USA on my Ultra/Paygo # I would be charged at the above rate -  and am fairly sure I used to be charged that rate when I 1st started using the service.

But instead:

Calling USA from Thailand rate using Ultra/Paygo:

"International Roaming is supported on your plan and is charged from money in your PayGo wallet. Rates for international roaming are located at ultramobile.com/paygo/international-roaming."

So Calling From Thailand to the USA or Receiving a call in Thailand from the USA are both charged the same [absurdly overpriced] rate.

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Thanks 1
On 5/28/2022 at 9:00 AM, JimmyJ said:

So Calling From Thailand to the USA or Receiving a call in Thailand from the USA are both charged the same [absurdly overpriced] rate.

What about if the same bank were to send you an SMS code to your PayGo SIM instead of making an actual voice call?

On 5/29/2022 at 5:40 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

What about if the same bank were to send you an SMS code to your PayGo SIM instead of making an actual voice call?

10 cents from funds in account, no change to the 100 SMS allowed monthly.

I wanted to have a USA SIM account in case a bank wanted to call me back in the unusual case that it was needed, or if magicJack was down and I needed to call the US on that number or whatever,  emergency backup.

But i will never use it for calls either way with those outrageous prices.

So paying $3/month to receive SMS. Worth it to me.

And will be buying a new phone soon - will make sure it supports WiFi Calling feature.

• Thanks 1
41 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

I wanted to have a USA SIM account in case a bank wanted to call me back in the unusual case that it was needed, or if magicJack was down and I needed to call the US on that number or whatever,  emergency backup.

And will be buying a new phone soon - will make sure it supports WiFi Calling feature.

WiFi calling with a US SIM  is the bomb. Calls and texts back and forth and voice mail. Use your Thai phone as a hot-spot and it works everywhere, 

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 11/16/2021 at 2:36 AM, Ronnie60 said:

But for this situation, is this ultramobile plan the perfect plan for this?  Three dollars a month is certainly good.  I also have an unlocked iphone.  At the moment Im in the US right now.  So you would advice getting this ultramobile paygo sim card... then activate it here... then once I do that, then i'm good when using it abroad again? 

Yeap.  I have two ultramobile SIMs....$3/month.  I only use them for banking/OTP type cases.   Be sure to activate the ultramobile SIM while in the U.S. as the full activation requires a connection to a U.S. cell tower at least once.  Make a call or two and send/receive a SMS to ensure the activation is complete.  You are then good to go for worldwide use via cell connection and/or Wifi Calling.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2022 at 7:34 PM, JimmyJ said:

Now that Tmobile has purchased(gobbled up)ultramobile and mintmobile, do you anticipate a rate increase or radical  changes ?

Just curious on your thoughts J

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/business/t-mobile-to-acquire-mint-and-ultra-mobile#

Edited by riclag
On 3/23/2023 at 3:39 PM, Pib said:

Yeap.  I have two ultramobile SIMs....$3/month.  I only use them for banking/OTP type cases.   Be sure to activate the ultramobile SIM while in the U.S. as the full activation requires a connection to a U.S. cell tower at least once.  Make a call or two and send/receive a SMS to ensure the activation is complete.  You are then good to go for worldwide use via cell connection and/or Wifi Calling.

Why 2 sims ,In case one gets damaged or something?

4 hours ago, riclag said:

Why 2 sims ,In case one gets damaged or something?

Primarily a separate number for the wife....so she can access our joint accts.  Many times when a mobile number is listed on one person's online acct acct that number cannot be used on another person's online acct for 2FA purposes.  Policy from bank to bank varies.