Delay Brexit? I'd rather be dead in a ditch, says PM Johnson

webfact

Delay Brexit? I'd rather be dead in a ditch, says PM Johnson

2019-09-05T175909Z_1_LYNXNPEF841S5_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-EU.JPG

Britain's Prime Minister Boris Johnson makes a speech during a visit to West Yorkshire, Britain September 5, 2019. Danny Lawson/PA Wire/Pool via REUTERS

WAKEFIELD, England (Reuters) - British Prime Minister Boris Johnson promised on Thursday he would never delay Britain's exit from the European Union, due on Oct. 31, saying he would rather be "dead in a ditch" than do so.

Asked if he could promise to the British public that he would not go to Brussels and ask for another delay to Brexit, Johnson said: "Yes I can. I'd rather be dead in a ditch."

"It achieves absolutely nothing. What on earth is the point of further delay," he added, speaking following a speech at a police station in northern England.

(Reporting Elizabeth Piper, writing by William James; editing by Stephen Addison)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-09-06

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

B4906A9E-0CD7-4797-9E3B-DF281E64776B.jpeg

Brilliant cartoon shows exactly how delusional Boris is. We all know what side will hurt the most and it is not the EU. However Boris seems to think otherwise. I wonder if he is really that stupid or just political show because he has too. Can't be sure. 

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

Brilliant cartoon shows exactly how delusional Boris is. We all know what side will hurt the most and it is not the EU. However Boris seems to think otherwise. I wonder if he is really that stupid or just political show because he has too. Can't be sure. 

No plan, no clue, only interested in being the center of attention. I remember when he was the mayor of London. We -- in the USSA -- thought he was just a joke. Nobody took him seriously at all, ala Trump. Now look what we all have. Shame on us.

7 minutes ago, robblok said:

It's all about doing what is best for Boris Johnson. Simple as that. 

Face-saving rhetoric, that's all. The concept of requesting an extension once a no-deal is off the agenda, is to ensure the 31st October date passes without crashing out, and from that point getting a deal through parliament, which would probably be May's final agreement with her added concessions that was never voted upon before she was outed.

And yes, I do have a degree of sympathy with Johnson in that a deal must be agreed with parliament ASAP, as it's clearly not in anyone's interest to prolong this sad saga. 

As for the EU, their intransigence is to be expected - and I have a great deal of respect for Barnier not involving himself in the UK's political suicides. Sorry, Johnson, you're just not up to it. In fact his brother would have been a better bet...

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Don't forget there is a substantial number of Brits who still believe and support him. Strange, almost unbelievable, but true.

1 hour ago, GalaxyMan said:

No plan, no clue, only interested in being the center of attention. I remember when he was the mayor of London. We -- in the USSA -- thought he was just a joke. Nobody took him seriously at all, ala Trump. Now look what we all have. Shame on us.

Seriously, I had never even thought about the fact that London had a mayor. When I saw Boris (weird that he'd have a Russian name), I realized that it was just a ceremonial position and that he was a laughable clown to bring attention to the city for tourism purposes. Never crossed my mind that he was actually a real mayor or anything. The man was clearly a joke. Still is, but now the joke's on the Brits. Bummer.

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

The way things have been going lately for Boris, he may be dreaming of such a ditch. 

Truer than you may think. The landed gentry in the UK have a long history of sticking a shotgun in their mouths (a Purdey of course) when life takes a downturn. Very similar to Thai "face". They can't cope with loss of social standing.

Johnson has a history of mental instability and, now even his family have turned against him, may well become a reality.

Just now, DannyCarlton said:

Truer than you may think. The landed gentry in the UK have a long history of sticking a shotgun in their mouths (a Purdey of course) when life takes a downturn. Very similar to Thai "face". They can't cope with loss of social standing.

Johnson has a history of mental instability and, now even his family have turned against him, may well become a reality.

We can only hope...

13 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

It might be time to put him on suicide watch if his good buddy in the white house eventually turns on him (as he tends to do) and calls him LOSER. 

While of course not wishing Boris any physical harm, I must say it's given me immense pleasure to watch things melt down on him. It's given me a break from the U.S. stuff. BBC Parliament -- it's super exciting!

Archived