Aussie charged £55,000 for just one beer at a Manchester hotel

webfact

I recall in the good ol' days of signing bits of paper for credit cards that at the end of a meal a friend of mine was given the credit card slip with the total left blank. Thinking he was filling in the total he put pen to paper and signed it with a flourish. Unfortunately for him he'd put the total amount in the field immediately above, which was "Tip".  The credit card company - Amex, I think - refused to reverse the transaction because, as they said, they are not mind readers

Surprised that the CC company, didn't flag up unusual activity, & query it.

What I mean is he most probably not charging such large amounts regularly - if at all, & then suddenly £55k.

Most probably though, the high flighers, with 7 condos, a Bentley & best mates with the chief of police will 'put me right'.

:laugh:

57 minutes ago, faraday said:

Surprised that the CC company, didn't flag up unusual activity, & query it.

What I mean is he most probably not charging such large amounts regularly - if at all, & then suddenly £55k.

Most probably though, the high flighers, with 7 condos, a Bentley & best mates with the chief of police will 'put me right'.

:laugh:

for most of us such amounts would be well in excess of our credit limits, clearly this guy must be a big spending high flyer... 

7 hours ago, DoctorG said:

Obviously he has not self-set transaction limits on the card or it would have been rejected electronically.

Yes I was very surprised when I was in my card set up of the restrictions and levels I could place on it. One that I did was no gambling transactions (I don't really gamble but never like the idea of using my card to buy a lotto).