Extending existing visa in Chiang Mai (Separate subject)

Extending existing visa in Chiang Mai (Separate subject)

Please note:

I recently asked another question about renewing a visa in Chiang Mai but that is a separate subject entirely.

I have an existing Thai visa in my passport (EU). I was wondering:

1. Where do I extend the visa in Chiang Mai? Is it at immigration near airport?

2. Is the price still 2000:- THB?

3. Is it easy to extend there or is there some caveat or new obstacle?

4. If the visa expires on a weekend when the office is closed, will it be ok to go there on the Monday after or will they hassle me for being late?

GoGet

Hello

1) Yes, that's the immigration office in Chiang Mai

2) It's 1,900, to be precise

3)At the immigration office, you can only extend your visa. No caveats as long as you meet the requirements i.e. you have a visa to enter the country, have not extend it before and are extending it now.

4) No, it's not ok. You're not suppose to wait for a visa to expire before you extend it. You ought to do it before. In fact, you can even do it the day you enter the country. They will count the 30 days from the day you are suppose to leave. It's like your driving license or road tax. "Office closed, can't renew" is not an excuse.

Cheers!

Edited by ttkeric

@ttkeric

With regard to point number 4, I have personally experienced extending a visa which expired on Sunday, on a Monday in Hua Hin. I checked beforehand and people told me it was acceptable. It was. As a matter of fact the immigration officer did not even mention it because it was totally in compliance with their routines. Now this was about 3 years ago so regulations may have changed or perhaps Chiang Mai immigration has a different policy but just for your information.

However, if you are sure about the part where you're saying they will count the days from the last day in the passport then I will go to their office before it expires as there is no point in waiting to the last moment. You are certain about this fact? I have to ask. Thanks for replying anyway.

3 minutes ago, GoGet said:

However, if you are sure about the part where you're saying they will count the days from the last day in the passport then I will go to their office before it expires as there is no point in waiting to the last moment.

Extensions start from the date your current permit to stay ends. You lose no days if you do it early.

• Like 1