Brave vs. Chrome: Which Browser is Better?

ravip

1 hour ago, JamJar said:

There are lots of reasons for not using Chrome. Which is why it's a good idea to have alternatives installed, then to use the Browser most suitable for the task in hand.

https://thenextweb.com/hardfork/2019/09/04/brave-google-chrome-browser-track-users-hidden-web-pages-gdpr/

How do you know which is the best browser for 'the task in hand' please.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JamJar said:

Depends on the task. I use different browsers for different tasks. But I never use Chrome, unless on someone else's PC.

For instance, Chrome would only be used in conjunction with Chromecast.

If I don't want to be Tracked, I'll use yet another Browser.

If something doesn't work properly with one browser, I can use an alternative.

If I am, for instance, comparing airline prices and also don't want to be tracked, I'll have two different Browsers, both of which block Ads and Tracking...

Just examples. i'm not going to recommend specific Browsers. But i don't use Chrome and only very rarely EDGE.

I'll use EDGE for the few times when a website blocks ad-blockers and I don't want to waste time trying to bypass their ad-blocker blocker script, as I just need temporary access.

I have been using Chrome for probably 10 years or more, and have never not been able to do what I wanted, or get to a website I wanted. I have AdBlocker extension installed. I have compared airline prices, done online banking and even posted on Thai Visa with no problem.

Why should I change please?

• Like 1

Certainly found Brave fast but that's most probably down to it blocking scrips by default. For me I want to see how much of my resources it takes. So my test is to load-up a hungry resource web page such has Thaivisa. And must say it was not too bad.

task5.jpg.d3a613d3575040148399fef6f6b28664.jpg

In comparison this was Chrome (out of the box version)

task4.jpg.8214fadd4fabcd0e3680d926cc23729c.jpg

And the one that puts my CPU in the red - Edge

task2.jpg.b95a66de7ac39de30b440ca77159706a.jpg

Should point out that blocking the scripts on Chrome howeverdid show a similar result to Brave

task3.jpg.25d499fc8640cbeb73c5b38881109390.jpg

Conclusion - It's Chrome with a built-in blocker. Will prefer to stay with the big boy (Google) as not sure of Brave's policy/response to security flaws.

20 hours ago, Crossy said:

Tried it, removed it.

It's pretty quick compared to some other browsers.

BUT

Too many sites fail to work properly, to the point that it screwed my Citi online banking that I needed to call the call centre to unlock my account.

As always with these things YMMV.

agreed.

I use it only on mobile because chrome does not allow ublock origin to work on android.

On PC it has too many problems and im not interested in the BAT scam coin.

On 9/7/2019 at 3:40 PM, Crossy said:

Too many sites fail to work properly, to the point that it screwed my Citi online banking that I needed to call the call centre to unlock my account.

I think someone complained about this in their community forum and it may have been fixed - I had issues with Capital One but they seem to have gone away.

I have been using as my main browser for over a year and yes as it is still work in progress there are some issues. However as @JamJar mentioned if you value your privacy and want to avoid giving out loads of data to certain providers then it is worth looking at.

It has some customisable settings and can block ads by default and third party tracking cookies. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, topt said:

I think someone complained about this in their community forum and it may have been fixed - I had issues with Capital One but they seem to have gone away.

I have been using as my main browser for over a year and yes as it is still work in progress there are some issues. However as @JamJar mentioned if you value your privacy and want to avoid giving out loads of data to certain providers then it is worth looking at.

It has some customisable settings and can block ads by default and third party tracking cookies. 

I don't use Brave either. 

34 minutes ago, reefsurfah said:

just be aware it globally blocks all sites running javascript. 

There is a setting that you can switch to correct this (except i think it is off by default anyhow?) or you can switch the Brave shields off for individual sites.1638195469_bravesettings.PNG.69a54793821d00392647efc408f9ac09.PNG

• Like 2

15 hours ago, topt said:

That is not correct. Using bowsers such as Chrome does not give 'loads of data to certain providers' as most web pages use the 'https' protocol. OK google will be able to see what web site you visit but that's it, any more and I would think there would be an outcry as that's the way you communicate with your bank. Where the likes of Google and Microsoft get most of the 'loads of data to certain providers' is through your online email account because they have your permission to look in under the T & C's. So if you have an online email account using Brave has very little advantage. Anyhow I don't really care if Google know the size of my boxers!

On 9/7/2019 at 7:44 PM, CharlieH said:

Well as an example, I have browsers open for different tasks, personal stuff is bookmarked and passwords etc relate to that, the other is used for general stuff, bookmarks passwords on so on to that one, by keeping them separate it avoids using the wrong thing in the wrong place and the wrong people getting personal info etc.

If you have it all in the one browser it can be a bit tricky remembering to switch to what to do what, keep the browsers separate and it just helps with all the things you have to remember these days. ????

Thats how I apply them. I found Brave quicker etc for mobile phone, it also means that there are no bookmarks passwords etc transferred to a device that could be lost/nicked etc. Again keeping stuff separate.

I never save passwords of important sites such as banks on any browser...

20 hours ago, bearpolar said:

I use it only on mobile because chrome does not allow ublock origin to work on android.

You can try Kiwi Browser. Based on Chrome and blocks ads. In addition it has a great night mode. I always use black background. On OLED displays it saves battery and is much easier to read. 

On 9/7/2019 at 7:26 PM, wgdanson said:

How do you know which is the best browser for 'the task in hand' please.

For me as i have mentioned before my UK bank will not work in chrome or firefox so use opera facebook pictures don't all show in opera so use either firefox or chrome as others have said have a few browsers at hand!

• Thanks 1

On September 7, 2562 BE at 4:02 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Who cares which browser is "better"?

I use them all from time to time and mostly all work for everything - with very few exceptions.

It's like arguing what's the best car. They all bring us from A to B...

He didn't ask an opinion on whether or not you use search engines, he asked which one is better. Your analogy of which car is best doesn't make any sense either. Yes, they should bring us from A to B but don't tell me you'd rather drive an unrealiable piece of garbage than a good brand ?

• Thanks 1

On September 7, 2562 BE at 4:02 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Who cares which browser is "better"?

I use them all from time to time and mostly all work for everything - with very few exceptions.

It's like arguing what's the best car. They all bring us from A to B...

He didn't ask an opinion on whether or not you use search engines, he asked which one is better. Your analogy of which car is best doesn't make any sense either. Yes, they should bring us from A to B but don't tell me you'd rather drive an unrealiable piece of garbage than a good brand ?

10 minutes ago, meinphuket said:

The point I tried to make is this: Most of use could use any current browser for all the websites we use and they would all work. And I bet most people wouldn't see any difference in a blind test.

So what's the point of having the "best" browser if they all work similar?

I am sure the few experts who know and care about differences have little in common with the average TVF user.

I'm happy with Chrome.

If they want to track me, so what. I'm not visiting any "shady" sites and I have no problem simply ignoring ads. 

I know how to clear my cache and browser history for the "once every couple of years" that I may need to shop for airline tickets (which I usually end up buying direct from the airline anyways as I rarely find cheaper prices on Expedia/Kayak/CheapFlights or other similar sites).

Every couple of years there seems to be the "newest, greatest, bestest browser ever" being flogged by someone, which turns out to be not much better than what already exists and in time gets forgotten about. Usually about the time they start doing the same things that the other, older browsers have already been doing for years.

Keep in mind that the people making these things have to make money somehow or they wouldn't be in business at all (or they'd be charging for the product, or for using it - which I hope they never clue into trying to do).

Look at all the adverts on ThaiVisa now. Never used to have them but it costs money to run a site like this, especially with the traffic it gets. At one point I think they floated the idea of "paid memberships" which would be "ad free" but that never came to fruition, probably due to negative feedback and few people willing to pay for something they'd been getting for free for so long.
However, after awhile you barely even notice the ads (though the pop up videos that started recently are becoming annoying, especially as they always seem to appear right where I'm typing something).

As for the speeds - I'd say it has more to do with the network than the browser in most cases. For what most people are doing, they aren't going to notice a millisecond or two difference in how fast a browser loads a site, but when the network is lagging it makes a noticeable difference (coming from a guy that is currently sitting in front of 3 computers). 
A number of factors can affect the speed at which a browser will d/l and display a website (and it's associated graphic components). I remember making websites back in the '90s and watching pages load line by line (literally) as the best modems (and internet connections) at the time simply couldn't handle the amount of data on the page.

Things are so much better now but that means people can add that much more to their sites.

As well, there are far more people on line these days and that means far more people accessing the same sites and the same networks at the same time. Bound to be some issues with lag now and then, especially at peak times. 

But again, the vast majority would hardly notice the difference in loading times between 2 different browsers. Certainly not enough to make it worth the effort to change browsers.