Elite or retirement

9 minutes ago, Lacrimas said:

The Elite visa is for younger people in my opinion (under 50) and unmarried. 

Well, those people have more limited options available to them for sure, which makes Elite attractive to them. But for older and/or married people for whom money isn't an issue, it is a good way of reducing the red tape associated with long term stay in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

Well, those people have more limited options available to them for sure, which makes Elite attractive to them. But for older and/or married people for whom money isn't an issue, it is a good way of reducing the red tape associated with long term stay in Thailand.

+1

Myself and two friends, all over 50 yo, have the 20 year TE (happily).

Further, I've discussed it with several other farangs (50+) and some are considering it as well.

To us, the money is secondary to the 'savings' in time, dignity, and piece of mind.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, galt67 said:

+1

Myself and two friends, all over 50 yo, have the 20 year TE (happily).

Further, I've discussed it with several other farangs (50+) and some are considering it as well.

To us, the money is secondary to the 'savings' in time, dignity, and piece of mind.

If it was a guaranteed deal I would consider it also

But who is to say that they will not change it tomorrow? Will they refund your money then?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, sirineou said:

If it was a guaranteed deal I would consider it also

But who is to say that they will not change it tomorrow? Will they refund your money then?

Thats always the complaint from those who may like to criticise Thai Elite Membership. 

Of course, everything is a risk, but as the Elite Membership is a legally binding contract they 'cannot' change it tomorrow.

This may encourage some comments 'a contract is not worth anything in Thailand' or 'you'll never win when filing a law suit against a Thai' etc... but the fact is the law is on your side. 

Previously governments looked at shutting down the Thai Elite Membership, they were unable to, the law was on the side of the Thai Elite Members although at the time there had been a significant degree of poor management and perhaps some graft. New management has since turned the company around attracting far more members with more attractive options such as the 5 year Membership. 

Thus: Realistically, the chances of the membership being cancelled on the whim of those in power is extremely limited. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

On 9/7/2019 at 8:51 PM, ThomasThBKK said:

age of 71.

I would have better things to do

What does a 70+ year old have to do with his time that applying for a visa annually would be such a burden? Many so bored in Bangkok 60+ crowd they teach if they can.

Can spare a day on the links or at the beach? I guess at 70 life is short.

Elite visa would never be cancelled. They'd just phase it out. Gone in five years max every one of them. No need for drama, criticism. I don't think they can add medical insurance requirements to existing visa. But new ones and renewals sure. I also don't think putting up this huge amount will exempt anyone. It will be all long stay extension and visa.

Edited by Number 6

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thats always the complaint from those who may like to criticise Thai Elite Membership. 

Of course, everything is a risk, but as the Elite Membership is a legally binding contract they 'cannot' change it tomorrow.

This may encourage some comments 'a contract is not worth anything in Thailand' or 'you'll never win when filing a law suit against a Thai' etc... but the fact is the law is on your side. 

Previously governments looked at shutting down the Thai Elite Membership, they were unable to, the law was on the side of the Thai Elite Members although at the time there had been a significant degree of poor management and perhaps some graft. New management has since turned the company around attracting far more members with more attractive options such as the 5 year Membership. 

Thus: Realistically, the chances of the membership being cancelled on the whim of those in power is extremely limited. 

In a different thread I also said that I don't think they will impose the insurance requirement on elite visas because there is a vested economic interest involved,  But that's only my opinion and as hard as you might find it to believe, I have being wrong in the past.

Perhaps I am wrong I have not read the contract. , but I don't think  that the elite visa contract states anywhere that the Thai government does not have the right to require health insurance or place  other mandates from visitors having the elite visa.

But I am sure the elite visa officials would fight to prevent such mandates as it would threaten their business model and bottom line.

On 9/8/2019 at 4:45 PM, NCC1701A said:

Avoid Bangkok and Pattaya as they have horrible immigration offices.

Other than crowds that have popped up post TM30 what's wrong with BKK? My marriage extension is done entirely including second check in 30 minutes - 20 even. No hassles, no gifts. Last year the IO even changed the date of the pick up because of the status of the school I was working ( I had a heavy load that day of week).

90 day online done in hours.

Reentry are a headache, I'll give you that. Best done at airport.

Edited by Number 6