Elite or retirement

1 hour ago, Martyp said:

There is no health insurance requirement, mandatory or otherwise, to purchase an O-A visa in your home country. The proposed insurance requirement was much talked about in the first half of this year but then  the rumored start start date came and went with no requirement in sight. Except for the pessimists, people stopped talking about it. Look at your local Thai Consulate website to read about the O-A requirements. It is one of several ways to stay in Thailand long term for people over 50 years old.

Thanks, it's the 5-year "retirement visa type O-X" that so far have the mandatory 400k + 40k insurance.

1 hour ago, Des Pickable said:

(cough)

Sorry you have cough... I came in on the 30-days visa exempt, opened a Thai bank account within first week and received a non-O 90-day visa & 12 mth extension... I didn't have any problems. Did mine in Jomtien. Same for 2 other friends...

Edited by BertM
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BertM said:

The OP could come in with no visa, get 30 days visa exempt at airport, then go open a Thai bank account and xfer 800k from home country. Then, go apply for a non-O 90-day visa based on 800k at least 15 days before the 30 days visa exempt expires. After the 800k has been seasoned for 2 months, go back and get a 12-mth extension based on retirement. Then you're done.

It depends on where he intends to live in Thailand as that "conversion" process to an O visa in Thailand is not available at all offices.

On 9/7/2019 at 6:08 PM, Momofarang said:

At 71 no one should even think of moving to Thailand. I you can afford TE have a look M2H (Malaysia second Home). They have solid requirements for entry, but during your stay none of the petty xenophobic hassles one is submitted to here. And for those who get older and a bit more frail, healthcare matches western standards, with English speaking doctors, who don't have a certain attitude...

The big problem with M2H, even if you wished to live in Malaysia, is the cost.  He would need RM350,000 in liquid asserts and another RM150,000 in a fixed deposit.  In addition, there is a requirement of income of RM10,000.

• Like 1

One other thing you need to consider is the air pollution and filth in general. If you have any health problems now? Come for a short visit when Thailand and it’s neighbors are burning. Then decide. As you age this could be a serious problem. Come with your eyes open and be smart.

Edited by garyk

1 hour ago, garyk said:

One other thing you need to consider is the air pollution and filth in general. If you have any health problems now? Come for a short visit when Thailand and it’s neighbors are burning. Then decide. As you age this could be a serious problem. Come with your eyes open and be smart.

Or just go to an island, phuket and co have no meaningful air pollution issues... 

On 9/7/2019 at 3:13 PM, DrJack54 said:

OP, I cannot believe you thinking about elite visa. Obtain an O-A in your country every 2 years. Your dosh can remain in your home country. 71..elite visa? Hells bells. 

This is the way to go! Until now I have not understood why so many people try to get their extension in Thailand with all the hassle instead of going back once every two years to their "home" country. I feel much safer with 20.000€ for 3 months in a German bank then with 800.000 Baht in a Thai Bank or jumping through hoops to prove 65.000K every months. Just remember nextdoor Malaysia once introduced capital controls. Coming from finance if i take a minimal risk of losing 800.000 Baht I want a reward, however small the risk is.

Elite Visa is way to expensive for over an over 50 year old, even if money is of no concern as it does not add much over an retirement visa.

Edited by stat
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BertM said:

Sorry you have cough... I came in on the 30-days visa exempt, opened a Thai bank account within first week and received a non-O 90-day visa & 12 mth extension... I didn't have any problems. Did mine in Jomtien. Same for 2 other friends...

hmm it is not only the location you need to add but which exact bank and possibly also what passport you have.  if you havent got that info then you would be running into a hell of a lot of "no can do" scenarios.

7 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Avoid Bangkok and Pattaya as they have horrible immigration offices.

I've been in Pattaya for around 20 years, full time for 12, and have found Chonburi (Pattaya) immigration to be easy to deal with, efficient and polite ... but then I don't use an agent, I do take the time to organize any required documents before hand and i don't need to bend the rules.

As others have said, it sometimes seems there are two Thailands, the one described by a few moaners on Thai Visa and the Thailand that I experience everyday.

Rather disappointing really since much of what you post seems reasonable and sensible.

7 hours ago, BertM said:

Which bank ?

On 9/7/2019 at 5:46 AM, Sheryl said:

Health insurance is not mandatory at this time but is very, very necessary to have unless you are wealthy enough to handle expenses in the millions of baht at a time. And should not defer getting it, as tiem passes you may develop pre-existing conditions that make it impossible to get, Get it now and keep it.

Elite visa costs 500K baht for 5 years and that money is gone. If after 5 years you still want to stay, another 500k.

Retirement visa if issued in your home country (O-A) requires that you have the equivalent of at least 800k baht in the bank or income of 65k/month but this money does not have to be brought into Thailand and there are no restrictions on spending the lump sum if that method is used..  This visa gives you a one year stay on each entry and if you time it right you can stay 2 years by making a re-entry right before the end of the visa validity.

To get a retirement extension in country (as opposed to an O-A visa) you need either  800k in the bank in Thailand or to bring in 65k from abroad each month. If the lump sum is used you have to have it in the bank 3 months before extension and 3 months after and then after that must keep at least 600 k balance so yes, unlike the O-A visa there are restrictions on spending if the lump sum method is used (as well as requirement the money be brought into Thailand). However the money remains yours - you can get it out anytime if you decide to leave Thailand, and the 400K that you can't spend is still there to count towards future extensions (unlike the 500k you pay for elite, which you have to pay again 5 years later).

I can see no advantage to Elite for someone old enough to qualify for retirement.

There is a definite advantage to getting an O-A visa rather than an in-country extension of stay for retirement, at least to start with, since it does nto tie your money up.  The only real reason to switch later to extensions of stay rather than getting consecutive O-A visas would be if you wanted to avoid the need to return to your home country every 2 years.

Sheryl,

Is it possible and a good idea to do what DrJack54 said at 06:13 am?

Obtain O-A in your country every 2 years.Money stays in home country.

1 hour ago, elgenon said:

Sheryl,

Is it possible and a good idea to do what DrJack54 said at 06:13 am?

Obtain O-A in your country every 2 years.Money stays in home country.

Yes of course, that was what I was referring to in my last paragraph. The only reason not to do that and go for in-country extension of stay instead at the end of the 2 years would be if you wanted to avoid the need to go back to your home country every 2 years and/or having to leave the country in the middle of the 2 years (in order to get another 1 year stamp).

If wanting to avoid cost of complete health insurance you should plan in periodic trips back home anyhow and be sure to maintain address, eligibility for health cover there etc. Even then still need at least travel insurance to cover emergency care while in Thailand.

On 9/8/2019 at 8:34 AM, carbon007 said:

One respondent wrote: 'At 71 no one should even think of moving to Thailand.'
I am now 74 and has been living in Thailand for 12 years.
Don't listen to such an unconditioned statement. If you feel like it and you can take care of yourself then come.

If you have blue eyes then remember the sun glasses and wear them (If in doubt why then ask the eye doctor) 

What astonishes me more than anything is how many people write someone off at 71. It’s NOT old and does being 71 immediately make you unhealthy? What a depressing lot you all are.

As for the Elite, if he has the money then why not? No visits to immigration for 5 years....I’m definitely thinking about it. It would just as easy to say you’re nuts to keep doing these trips to Immi every year with all the hassles when for not that much money (to some people) you can skip all the nonsense.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2019 at 8:11 AM, Why Me said:

Just because the OP is 71 and eligible for OA/retirement doesn't mean he should not even consider the Elite.

The 1 mil. 20-year Elite would probably carry him through to his final days (I'll pray he outlives it but longevity charts are what they are) without ever having to worry about renewal and agents and such in Thailand. Which might be a good thing as one gets older and less competent.

All depends on his finances. If he's wealthy enough a 20-year EV might be just the ticket.

There are several Elites.  1:  500k baht for 5 years,   2:  800k baht for ten years.  This latter one was instituted a few years ago and may be over looked.

1 hour ago, Fairynuff said:

It offers a hassle free 5 years. Many people have decided it’s a price worth paying. I may soon be one of them

I'm thinking about it also. Is that really the case - no visits to immigration for 5 years, apart from TM30 and 90 day reporting if not done online ? Do you get 5 years permission to stay in one hit, with no need to go out of the country or visit immigration ?

16 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

There are several Elites.  1:  500k baht for 5 years,   2:  800k baht for ten years.  This latter one was instituted a few years ago and may be over looked.

There is 1 Million THB for 20 years and I believe 800K for a 5 year family visa for 2. That's 400K Per person and the one I am considering. If they got rid of TM30 I might consider the 20 year due to the low cost per year.

On 9/9/2019 at 1:34 AM, Sheryl said:

Yes of course, that was what I was referring to in my last paragraph. The only reason not to do that and go for in-country extension of stay instead at the end of the 2 years would be if you wanted to avoid the need to go back to your home country every 2 years and/or having to leave the country in the middle of the 2 years (in order to get another 1 year stamp).

If wanting to avoid cost of complete health insurance you should plan in periodic trips back home anyhow and be sure to maintain address, eligibility for health cover there etc. Even then still need at least travel insurance to cover emergency care while in Thailand.

I am kind of stuck re health insurance. Have Medicare advantage because it covers me abroad but the amount of time I am able to be out of the country is very limited.

AFAIK Medicare Advantage will at best cover only emergency care on short trips (and not all do even that).

There is unfortunately no insurance product geared towards US expats with Medicare living abroad.

You need to get separate policy to cover you in Thailand.

I have Medicare and also have an Expat policy.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 1 month later...

Firstly thanks for all the informative comments, though the idea that at 71 you are past it seems a bit off. I have done more travelling around the world since i was 65 than any time in my student days,

well i should have stated that i am british and live in the UK, although i have lived in China Something an elite . I have no health problems and am still waiting for any signs of ill health or the problems supposedly associated with aging. The idea of a two year visa makes sense as i am in a relationship with a Thai. though i will wish to live with her first before any marriage.  Divorce is really expensive for the man especially if it is done in Britain where the woman can take half your assets including a pension. i do not drink much just an occasional drin now and then or a glass at dinner. Being retired i do not have anything pressing to do all day and can easily read books etc whilst waiting at offices for any processing. I have never been in Hospital since i was born and rarely go to the doctor except for my flu jab and check up once a year. i go to the gym regularly and although i think i look old others include strangers put my age around 50 which i think is silly. Still i suppose it makes up for envying all my mates who looked older  than me when i was at school. My brain is still active and my curiousity unabated. Maybe the result of twn years of higher education. I accept that i may need health insurance but wonder if the cost of £7-8000 a year is actually worth it when the NHS is free and i still would have residence in the UK, which i would not legally have if i had a retirement visa.  An Elite visa gives a free health check up i understand so any problems indicated meant i could return to the uK where two of my children live. i will investigate the two year visa though from what ir read  it would mean getting a police check, health certificate tec etc.

• Like 1