Elite or retirement

I am 71 and moving to Thailand. My problem is do i buy an elite visa or get a retirement visa. If mandatory medical insurance is required then the costs of a retirement visa increase dramatically. my pensions and assets  qualify for the retirement amount  . I understand that some offices do not accept the monthly income requirement and insist on you  having 800000 in a Thai bank especially if your consulate will not verify your pension income. You also have to leave half in i understand.

• Like 1

The Elite cost you can not recoup... The 800k for a retirement is in a savings account that you can repatriate if you decide to go elsewhere... It the insurance requirements do kick in my bet is both the Elite & retirement visas will have same requirements... from you home country get an initial retirement visa that essentially gives you two years here before you need to put 800k in a Thai bank for the renewal...

Edited by sfokevin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, donnacha said:

33K USD

He said he has pensions, no need to lock up 800K if he can show sufficient monthly income.

As @sfokevin pointed out, the main difference is that the Elite visa is money wasted if he changes his mind next year and decides to live elsewhere.

I am astonished that anyone would recommend an Elite visa to anyone over the age of 49.

Well, i am astonished that someone wants to deal with yearly visa extensions in the age of 71.

I would have better things to do.

I agree with @Momofarang that Thailand is not such a good idea for someone of 71, unless you have specific friends or an existing relationship here. We don't know what additional hoops retirees will be asked to jump through over the coming years but it seems likely that the generals will remain in power for at least the next decade and the current hostility towards Westerners will continue to grow. Many better options available.

Ehh and that's my reasoning for an elite visa... pay and forget. It all depends how liquid he is ... up 2 him.

How likely is he to move somewhere else in that age after settling down here?

Edited by ThomasThBKK
  • Like 2

I was also debating on the Elite Visa. 

Here is my situation:

My Wife and I moved here in November 2017 with a 6 month METV (both Americans)

My wife got an ED Visa, I work 35 days on / 35 days off, outside of Thailand.  So I am always coming and going.  I just come here on VE every time. 

Now, here us for the debating.... the costs.

For my wife's ED Visa,  all together if you add everything up for the Visa and her going to school,  it comes up to about $3,500 a year... 

We could do the Family Elite Visa for 800,000 baht,  which comes up to approximately $5,000 a year,  however we BOTH would have the Visa, I would be stressed every time coming back to Thailand,   and my wife would not need to attend classes 4 times a week. 

Another however.... if we went with the Elite Visa, we would be committed for 5 years. 

• Like 2

At 71, the OP should stay in their own country - I don't see Thailand as a stable place to live with regards to visa requirments, which have become more strictly enforced over the last few years. And now talk of increasing medical fees and compulsory insurance, which could eventually extend to all visa and extension types. At 71, insurance could become a prohibitive cost - unless the OP is also willing to tie up a few million baht for future health costs. 

• Like 1

Just because the OP is 71 and eligible for OA/retirement doesn't mean he should not even consider the Elite.

The 1 mil. 20-year Elite would probably carry him through to his final days (I'll pray he outlives it but longevity charts are what they are) without ever having to worry about renewal and agents and such in Thailand. Which might be a good thing as one gets older and less competent.

All depends on his finances. If he's wealthy enough a 20-year EV might be just the ticket.

Edited by Why Me
  • Like 1

I am pushing 70, I came back to the US. Unless at your age you are going for the pussy? Then just get a short visa and head back home. And when you get off the plane don't loose your senses..  Have fun.

IMO it is not a good idea to feed the Thai government. Just will make it worse down the line for others.

Edited by garyk
  • Like 2

I would never consider Thailand at 71... having to go all the time to the immigration for documents is a pain. And spending that much money on a visa... you would be better off spending it on health insurance and healthcare. If you are from Europe move to a cheaper European country like Greece, Romania, etc. No hassles for visas.

• Like 1

Depends also on homecountry and rules there how you want to calculate your risks.

If your homecountry pick the healthcare tab instant as soon you are back, you can consider  that you take your chances not being so sick suddenly that you are unable to fly back.

Edited by thaitero

Elite Easy Access

It is the most reasonable variant for expats and business people who often travel to Thailand. Issued for 5 years, with a one-time entry contribution of 500,000 Baht (≈$15,000). No additional yearly fees charged. No age limitations. One cannot pass the status to a third person, but one can upgrade to Elite Ultimate Privilege upon the payment of 1,605,000 Baht (about $50,000).

Elite Ultimate Privilege

Premium package. The visa is given for 20 years to an individual applicant. The cost of participation is a one-time contribution of 2,140,000 Baht ($68,000) and a yearly contribution of 21,400 Baht (about $680).

The applicant must be aged over 20. There is a possibility of one-time status passing to a third person. The cost of status passing is 20% of the package cost as of the moment of passing.

It is a premium package that includes additional VIP services. Visa holder receives:

• personal assistant who helps the visa holder to go through check-in, passport control and customs at the airport under the simplified procedure;
  • access to airport VIP lounge;
  • transfer service (valid for international flights);
  • access to an elite golf club and SPA center;
  • free medical check-ups every year;
  • discounts in shops;
  • state concierge services in connection with the issues of immigration, speedy processing of the driver’s license, etc.

The OP could come in with no visa, get 30 days visa exempt at airport, then go open a Thai bank account and xfer 800k from home country. Then, go apply for a non-O 90-day visa based on 800k at least 15 days before the 30 days visa exempt expires. After the 800k has been seasoned for 2 months, go back and get a 12-mth extension based on retirement. Then you're done.

Edited by BertM
  • Like 1

OP we can give you better advice if you will tell us which country your coming from. Only 3 embassies ( US, Brit and Aus ) no longer give out income affidavids ,all the others do. Do you know people here, friends, family former co-workers. What convinced you to move to Thailand?  If based on visits from long ago you will be shocked by the many changes and not all for the good. Do you presently have any kimd of health/life/accident insurance that will cover you overseas?

The post #21 above explains what an Elite visa is. In my opinion and many others it is a waste of money for any who are old enough for a retirement visa/extension.

Edited by Tony125

22 hours ago, zhorik said:

I am 71 and moving to Thailand. My problem is do i buy an elite visa or get a retirement visa. If mandatory medical insurance is required then the costs of a retirement visa increase dramatically.

There are no mandatory health insurance for applying for 12-month extension of stay based on retirement from an original non-immigrant type "O" visa that allow 90-days of stay from entry.

The mandatory 400k + 40k baht health insurance is for the so-called "retirement visa" non-immigrant type "O-A" that is granted for a 12-month period, and 12 month stay from last entry date; i.e. can give almost two years in Thailand.

Using the "O" visa and extension of stay based on retirement, you'll pay 1,900 baht for extension and from 1,000 to 3,800 baht for re-entry permission, if you are leaving Thailand during the extended period. Paperwork not that difficult if you follow a local forum with regulation at the local immigration office where you stay; rules can be slightly different from province-to-province. If well prepared with paperwork, it's not a big deal – I've been here as retired for almost 15 years, I'm 70 now; I use the 800k baht deposit method that is more easy the documentation of income, if you can afford the deposit-method, I'll recommend that.

Elite Card will cost you from 100k baht annually for a prepaid 5-year card, to 50k baht annually for a prepaid 20-year card. Little less paperwork hassle than applying annually for extension of stay. Compare the fee of 1 million baht fee to having 800k baht in a closed deposit, and interest loss of around 10k baht a year after withholding tax, if the 800k baht is in a fixed 12-month deposit.

????

37 minutes ago, George Duguid said:

Bert, During the 12 extension would i still have to go to imigration every 2 or 3 months.

You only need to do 90 day reports to immigration. They can be done in person, by mail or online,

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

The post #21 above explains what an Elite visa is. In my opinion and many others it is a waste of money for any who are old enough for a retirement visa/extension.

With Elite, you still have to do the TM 30 stuff, you still have to do 90 day reports. But is there an annual trip to immigration, or a requirement to leave and re-enter every 12 months ? 

7 minutes ago, khunPer said:

The mandatory 400k + 40k baht health insurance is for the so-called "retirement visa" non-immigrant type "O-A" that is granted for a 12-month period, and 12 month stay from last entry date; i.e. can give almost two years in Thailand.

There is no health insurance requirement, mandatory or otherwise, to purchase an O-A visa in your home country. The proposed insurance requirement was much talked about in the first half of this year but then  the rumored start start date came and went with no requirement in sight. Except for the pessimists, people stopped talking about it. Look at your local Thai Consulate website to read about the O-A requirements. It is one of several ways to stay in Thailand long term for people over 50 years old.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1