Who's entitled to our the House if my Thai Wife Dies?

In the event of my Thai wife's death (we are legally married) I was wondering what I can do with the house. I know I have a legal right to live in the house after her death but who gets it when I pass. I don't think I am allowed to sell it if I don't want to live there and I have been told I have no right to leave it to anyone.  My wife isn't too eager to leave it to anyone in her family (both parents are dead). We have a will but the house isn't included. 

you have a will ? job done. that is it.

I understand your concerns. I think I you know what is what.

maybe redo the will or just know that own bricks but not the land, friendly with immediate family? that may change if wifey passes away b4 you. what you really want to happen ?

I get the feeling you know what to do in the real world. that's it. good luck though....

• Confused 3

2 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

If your wife dies, you will not have any rights to house or land, without eralier agree ment and some changes.

The first thing you can check is if the land department will agree to separate the land and the house. If you then put the house in your name, you will have the ownership of the house, and then make a land lease contract between you and your wife for as long as possible that is legal and valid after her death.

Another way would be to sign a usufruct, that gives you the right to live in the house as long as oyu live or want to stay, but that no gives you any kind of owners rights.

Regarding your wife want not want the house to go to close family. That would mean she have to change the legal rights of children or others. That is something very hard, almost impossible, and she can only do that with a lawyer by herself.

yep , nice one matzzon, I was sort of trying to say that. 'tis early for me, but you've summed it up in a nutshell

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Matzzon said:

If your wife dies, you will not have any rights to house or land, without eralier agree ment and some changes.

The first thing you can check is if the land department will agree to separate the land and the house. If you then put the house in your name, you will have the ownership of the house, and then make a land lease contract between you and your wife for as long as possible that is legal and valid after her death.

Another way would be to sign a usufruct, that gives you the right to live in the house as long as oyu live or want to stay, but that no gives you any kind of owners rights.

Regarding your wife want not want the house to go to close family. That would mean she have to change the legal rights of children or others. That is something very hard, almost impossible, and she can only do that with a lawyer by herself.

As outlined here and elsewhere but some amplification and options :

Possibly the house was paid for by you - have a loan doc drawn up for you loaning your wife, interest free the amount expended in house construction purchase.

A usufruct allowing you to live in the house / Not sure how that would work as the house would presumably be left to someone other than you / if the house was left to you, you have 12 months to sell. A will is definately called for as is legal advice.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Dario said:

Can I leave my house with a will to a 3rd party, for example our foster daughter?

See post #5 in this thread.

27 minutes ago, Gulfsailor said:

Just a quick remark; contracts and agreements between husband and wife are not legally binding. Any other party (or the government) can contest it and the contract gets invalidated by the court.

What law do you base your comments on? 

31 minutes ago, Gulfsailor said:

Just a quick remark; contracts and agreements between husband and wife are not legally binding. Any other party (or the government) can contest it and the contract gets invalidated by the court.

Agreements between husband and wife may be cancelled unilaterally by either party.

That doesn't mean they aren't valid, or any other party can contest it.

Just not binding between the husband and wife.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

Our house was built many years ago upcountry. It's quite old now but land value has risen significantly since we built the house 20 years ago. I am semi-retired now and we are both living in the house. She told me no one would bother me if I wanted continue to live there in the event that she passes away before me. I was told (and don't necessarily believe it) that since we are legally married I have a right to live in the house if she should pass before me. But I cannot sell it or leave it to anyone when I die. I am not all that bothered about who gets it when I die. I guess the best thing is to update the will. When I ask my wife who she would like to leave the house to when she dies she seems  totally non committed. ( we have no kids) She said possibly one of her nieces but her relatives all live in other parts of the country and we rarely see them. 

53 minutes ago, Victornoir said:

Totally wrong.

In Thai law (as elsewhere) a usufruct gives you the right of total occupancy of the premises exactly like a lease. For example, no changes to the premises or the land can be made without your consent.

For Khaepmu, you must go with your wife at the local land office to register a usufruct for life on the house.
provide about 5000b of costs. Contract written immediately on the spot in my own case.

Usufruct cost me about  50baht 10 years  ago at the land office.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Victornoir said:

Totally wrong.

In Thai law (as elsewhere) a usufruct gives you the right of total occupancy of the premises exactly like a lease. For example, no changes to the premises or the land can be made without your consent.

For Khaepmu, you must go with your wife at the local land office to register a usufruct for life on the house.
provide about 5000b of costs. Contract written immediately on the spot in my own case.

Ufustruct not available to farangs in Pattaya.

• Haha 1

There is a Buddhist law that Thailand, Sir Lanka and Burma all have --- they go next of kin (name on the house) ... BUT if the owner is a foreigner, his blood needs to claim it legally, if no one shows up, then goes to the citizen of the country... no 2 ways about it!!!

Edited by pmh2009

54 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You can't trust any Thai, or any Thai lawyer to tell you the facts.

Make a simple will at the local Amphur office, using the form they provide, it can't be contested.

Wills made by a lawyer can be contested.

"it can't be contested." I don't believe that's true and my comment comes from statements made by my trusted family lawyer. His point is that if there are conflicting words / sentences in a will then it cannot be used, which seems to be very logical. He has also mentioned that people sometimes try to write things into wills which are simply illegal. in such cases the will cannot be used (in other words it can be contested) and that's regardless of whether it's written at an amphur office or not.

I agree everybody should be careful of trusting lawyers whether it's Thailand or any country and there have been several cases in the past of farang lawyers in Thailand doing very tricky immoral things, and yes it's not easy to a totally trustworthy lawyer.  

16 minutes ago, pmh2009 said:

There is a Buddhist law that Thailand, Sir Lanka and Burma all have --- they go next of kin (name on the house) ... BUT if the owner is a foreigner, his blood needs to claim it legally, if no one shows up, then goes to the citizen of the country... no 2 ways about it!!!

Buddhist law? Is not the law enacted by parliament and the laws enacted by parliament of Thailand reign over Buddhist law if there is any such thing.

The commercial code of Thailand certainly respects next of kin if there is no will. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

You can't trust any Thai, or any Thai lawyer to tell you the facts.

Make a simple will at the local Amphur office, using the form they provide, it can't be contested.

Wills made by a lawyer can be contested.

In reality a will made at any location / office or whatever can be contested in court if say a daughter or a son believes they have been very unfairly treated.

The court must listen but only in extreme cases would the court adjust / change the will.  

1 minute ago, scorecard said:

Here we go again, usufruct is not governed by locations or regions, it's the law of Thailand.  

Here we go again. The head of the Land Office in Pattaya, declared that Foreigners cannot take out a Ufustruct. I have checked with lawyers and at the Land Office. No chance in Pattaya.

Apparently he is correct to the letter of the law but I'm not aware of it being enforced anywhere else in Thailand. If you can find a way to secure me a ufustruct on my property, I'd be very grateful, it's my biggest worry.