British lawmakers prepare court action to enforce Brexit delay

rooster59

This Saga is far from over if you believe a report carried by many National newspapers today.

Government will refuse to nominate a UK commissioner which will mean that:

'Article 17 of the Treaty on European Union will be activated and  means the EU will “not be legally constituted on 1 November” – the date the new European Commission takes office – without a UK commissioner, it says.

Brussels could try to reduce the number of commissioners from 28, one for each state, but the UK would have a veto which it would use unless the EU bent to its will.'

Not quite 'game, set and match' yet for the Pro EU lobby

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, pegman said:

Well Boris, it looks like you've run out of options. Best resign and be done with it. Just can't see you lasting more than a couple days in lockup.

You wish..... As an selfish egocentric narzist ego-maniac he will not give up. You have to kick him out of No 10????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This Saga is far from over if you believe a report carried by many National newspapers today.

Government will refuse to nominate a UK commissioner which will mean that:

'Article 17 of the Treaty on European Union will be activated and  means the EU will “not be legally constituted on 1 November” – the date the new European Commission takes office – without a UK commissioner, it says.

Brussels could try to reduce the number of commissioners from 28, one for each state, but the UK would have a veto which it would use unless the EU bent to its will.'

Not quite 'game, set and match' yet for the Pro EU lobby

The Boris Team continuing to look for some way to push their no-deal Kamikaze agenda. All strapped in and looking for takeoff.

Sent from my SM-N935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

I see the misconduct in the fact that a clear decision according to the referendum has been ignored and that this is going to destroy the belief of many people in the democratic process.
The alternative to no deal is abject surrender and a further strengthening of the non-democratic bureaucracy that is trying to rule Europe. EU army anyone? The EU empire will not last a thousand years, it is already now sowing chaos and ignoring the clearly expressed will of the peoples of Europe.
No clear decision in the referendum for no-deal Brexit.

Sent from my SM-N935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, cooked said:

Oliver Cromwell: 'In the name of God, go!' speech dismissing Rump Parliament - 1653

20 April 1653, London, England

It is high time for me to put an end to your sitting in this place,

which you have dishonored by your contempt of all virtue, and defiled by your practice of every vice.

Ye are a factious crew, and enemies to all good government.

Ye are a pack of mercenary wretches, and would like Esau sell your country for a mess of pottage, and like Judas betray your God for a few pieces of money.

Is there a single virtue now remaining amongst you? Is there one vice you do not possess?

Ye have no more religion than my horse. Gold is your God. Which of you have not bartered your conscience for bribes? Is there a man amongst you that has the least care for the good of the Commonwealth?

Ye sordid prostitutes have you not defiled this sacred place, and turned the Lord's temple into a den of thieves, by your immoral principles and wicked practices?

Ye are grown intolerably odious to the whole nation. You were deputed here by the people to get grievances redressed, are yourselves become the greatest grievance.

Your country therefore calls upon me to cleanse this Augean stable, by putting a final period to your iniquitous proceedings in this House; and which by God's help, and the strength he has given me, I am now come to do.

I command ye therefore, upon the peril of your lives, to depart immediately out of this place.

Go, get you out! Make haste! Ye venal slaves be gone! So! Take away that shining bauble there, and lock up the doors.

In the name of God, go!

Not forgetting of course that Cromwell was the head of Britain's very own Taliban , bringing in misery, banning plays and music and merriment and was hated by the mass of the British people so much so after his death his body was dug up and hanged drawn and quartered and the people rejoiced.  

Over in Ireland they will never forget his slaughter at Drogheda which was without parallel. 

“This is a righteous judgement of God upon these barbarous wretches, who have imbrued their hands in so much innocent blood….”

Oliver Cromwell after the storming of Drogheda. 1649.

According to John Morrill, the massacre at Drogheda, "was without straightforward parallel in 17th century British or Irish history". "So the Drogheda massacre does stand out for its mercilessness, for its combination of ruthlessness and calculation, for its combination of hot- and cold-bloodiness".

'Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it.'

Edited by beautifulthailand99

In my opinion once the referendum was done, one way or the other, all politicians should have backed that decision and got on with whatever was necessary to steer the country through whatever problems emerged. But no, out came the 'political knives' to assassinate the decision and bring about chaos. Now it seems one PM is replacing another only to get stabbed with no backing...yeah, okay, I'm exaggerating but how can one claim Democracy when the winning majority (no matter how slim)...oh why do I bother. I bet King Arthur isn't proud of it all, metaphorically speaking.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

You are right but these threads are full of non Brits who just don't understand and their own countries are so dominated by the EU they have lost their own identity.

There are of course the few Brits who are the remainers who are happy to ignore democracy and frankly are the type that I wouldn't want in my trench, as they would be the ones stabbing you in the back.

For those genuine Brits who voted remain but respect the will of the democratic referendum, the former does not apply to you. You can share my trench anytime. Figuratively speaking.

It's not a trench but a ditch - I hope you enjoy sharing it with Johnson when he shortly falls in. ????????????

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

It's not a trench but a ditch - I hope you enjoy sharing it with Johnson when he shortly falls in. ????????????

The only ditch are swamp filled with anti democratic people. I guess you are one of these who doesn't respect the will of the people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Monomial said:

As a non UK/non EU national, I find the legal aspects of this fascinating. I asked about this exact situation previously on this forum (Re: forcing Boris to ask for an extension), and the general response seemed to be that you could not pass a law to compel a government official to do something against his will.  Apparently though, this is exactly what parliament did.

There are really only two ways to resolve the current impasse. One, let the courts decide Brexit, or two, let the electorate decide Brexit via an election. Wouldn't it be better, given all the options, to let the election go ahead and give the people the chance to voice their opinion, rather than forcing a group of judges to decide the future of the country? Why or why not? This is purely an academic question for me. I have no stake in the outcome.

50 years from now, when all the emotion is gone, this is going to be a really interesting educational study. If this were Thailand, I am sure we would have street protests and a coup by now...

and the general response seemed to be that you could not pass a law to compel a government official to do something against his will.......................Parliament could pass a law to tell us all to drive on the RHside. In this case BJ is not "An official" he is an MP. It's simple, Parliament - entirely within their rights- requires that the PM does this. He has an alternative, he can resign.

There are really only two ways to resolve the current impasse. One, let the courts decide Brexit, or two, let the electorate decide Brexit via an election. Wouldn't it be better, given all the options, to let the election go ahead and give the people the chance to voice their opinion, rather than forcing a group of judges to decide the future of the country? Why or why not? This is purely an academic question for me. I have no stake in the outcome.......................Sorry, incorrect, I don't think the courts can "Decide Brexit". Secondly why an election? If you want to know what the people think about Brexit NOW ask them in a referendum. A general election, will focus on many other topics as well, the NHS, Schools, Police etc etc, for many people it won't be just about Brexit at all.

I am sure we would have street protests and a coup by now.......I'm not sure that the coup isn't organized before the excuse for it is made by the protests in some cases.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

The only ditch are swamp filled with anti democratic people. I guess you are one of these who doesn't respect the will of the people.

Don't worry an election is coming you can have your vote. Just make sure you're registered.

So we may well now have either a No-Deal Brexit of a Corbyn government - god help the pound she will be battered mercilessly into the ground by forex speculators. Meanwhile the baht is becoming a flight to safety for the world's money looking for a 'safe haven' - the Asian's own very Swiss Franc. 

https://www.gov.uk/voting-when-abroad

1 minute ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Don't worry an election is coming you can have your vote. Just make sure you're registered.

So we may well now have either a No-Deal Brexit of a Corbyn government - god help the pound she will be battered mercilessly into the ground by forex speculators. Meanwhile the baht is becoming a flight to safety for the world's money looking for a 'safe haven' - the Asian's own very Swiss Franc. 

https://www.gov.uk/voting-when-abroad

Yes a GE and then the people can decide. Whatever happens I will say that's it. But you only like democratic results that agree with you. Sadly I wont be voting as I have been away over 15 years.

The Dollar, the Aus dollar and many other currencies are also down on the baht. Whats their excuse they have nothing to do with Brexit.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Nigel Garvie said:

and the general response seemed to be that you could not pass a law to compel a government official to do something against his will.......................Parliament could pass a law to tell us all to drive on the RHside. In this case BJ is not "An official" he is an MP. It's simple, Parliament - entirely within their rights- requires that the PM does this. He has an alternative, he can resign.

There are really only two ways to resolve the current impasse. One, let the courts decide Brexit, or two, let the electorate decide Brexit via an election. Wouldn't it be better, given all the options, to let the election go ahead and give the people the chance to voice their opinion, rather than forcing a group of judges to decide the future of the country? Why or why not? This is purely an academic question for me. I have no stake in the outcome.......................Sorry, incorrect, I don't think the courts can "Decide Brexit". Secondly why an election? If you want to know what the people think about Brexit NOW ask them in a referendum. A general election, will focus on many other topics as well, the NHS, Schools, Police etc etc, for many people it won't be just about Brexit at all.

I am sure we would have street protests and a coup by now.......I'm not sure that the coup isn't organized before the excuse for it is made by the protests in some cases.

So would it be possible to have a binding referendum where each district voted on whether they agreed or disagreed with the vote their representative cast on the brexit extension bill, and then required the MP to change his vote if his district disagreed with the MP's position?  Would something like that be allowed under UK law?  That would hold the existing structure in place exactly, not disrupt anything that came before or in the future, but target this one specific issue without requiring the courts to rule on something that could set very messy precedents.

Just thinking out loud. Honestly, what is the best way to resolve a situation like this without requiring it to go to court?

Edited by Monomial

6 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Yes a GE and then the people can decide. Whatever happens I will say that's it. But you only like democratic results that agree with you. Sadly I wont be voting as I have been away over 15 years.

The Dollar, the Aus dollar and many other currencies are also down on the baht. Whats their excuse they have nothing to do with Brexit.

But British pound is down on dollar, aus dollar and nearly all other currencies.

• Like 1

Just now, Monomial said:

So would it be possible to have a binding referendum where each district voted on whether they agreed or disagreed with the vote their representative cast on the brexit extension bill, and then required the MP to change his vote if his district disagreed with his position?  Would something like that be allowed under UK law?  That would hold the existing structure in place exactly, not disrupt anything that came before or in the future, but target this one specific issue without requiring the courts to rule on something that could set very messy precedents.

Just thinking out loud. Honestly, what is the best way to resolve a situation like this without requiring it to go to court?

No, people can not require their representatives to vote a certain way. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

The pound will be battred on two fronts - god help those on fixed incomes trying to look after a family in Thailand.

Brand new poll.

http://britainelects.com/2019/09/07/poll-tories-will-struggle-in-an-election-if-brexit-delayed/

Methodology Note: ComRes surveyed 2,009 British adults on 4th – 6th September 2019. Data were weighted to be demographically representative of all GB adults. All questions were also weighted by 2017 past vote recall and EU Referendum past vote. Voting Intention is also weighted by likelihood to vote. ComRes is a member of the British Polling Council and abides by its rules. Full tables at www.comresglobal.com

Westminster voting intention: "A General Election is held after extending the Brexit deadline beyond the 31st of October 2019":

LAB: 28% CON: 26% LDEM: 20% BREX: 17% GRN: 4%

via @ComRes

, 04 - 06 Sep http://britainelects.com/2019/09/07/poll-tories-will-struggle-in-an-election-if-brexit-delayed/

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AGareth2 said:

it is not game over yet

You are right, it isn't.  And this is sounding more like a game everyday with members here resembling the rabble in the stands.  One side screaming penalty and the other side claiming a dive!  Unfortunately there is no VAR and if there was then it would be dismissed because neither side will admit when they got it wrong.

Amber Rudd went yesterday because she says that Johnson is vandalising the Tory Party. Another blow for Boris but I am sure all his defenders will just bang on about what a rubbish player she was!  I would applaud her for what she did but listening to her on The Andrew Marr Show this morning you realise she is no better than the rest of the cretins who fell in line behind Johnson.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

You are right, it isn't.  And this is sounding more like a game everyday with members here resembling the rabble in the stands.  One side screaming penalty and the other side claiming a dive!  Unfortunately there is no VAR and if there was then it would be dismissed because neither side will admit when they got it wrong.

Amber Rudd went yesterday because she says that Johnson is vandalising the Tory Party. Another blow for Boris but I am sure all his defenders will just bang on about what a rubbish player she was!  I would applaud her for what she did but listening to her on The Andrew Marr Show this morning you realise she is no better than the rest of the cretins who fell in line behind Johnson.

But it could be argued DR that the leavers are shouting for the side that voted to leave the EU and won the vote, whilst the remainers are tripping our players up just to have their own way.????

You will have heard Amber Rudd say that Boris is striving for a deal, and under the circumstances that is a very candid comment to make.

• Like 1

The comment by JAG (#7) seems well reasoned.

I think that the PM has a duty to the people to see Brexit through. I find that the strategy adopted by his opponents, i.e. drafting a law to command the PM to do a specific action in a unique situation, to be a circuitous, if not cynical, avoidance of procedure.

Meanwhile, the PM may have further options not discussed here yet, namely to thwart the Royal Assent by either the Government refusing to present the bill or by the PM advising the Queen not to sign the bill. (This is discussed in an article entitled "Brexit Spat Tests Tacit Dictum: Never Put the Queen on the Spot" in Saturday's Wall Street Journal). While this has apparently not happened since 1708, we are living in tumultuous times.

The suggestion that the PM resign, if he cannot or will not execute such a command of Parliament, seems more like an act that a minister or bureaucrat would do in the face of a policy of the PM or the Government.

Rather, if the PM somehow goes against the will of Parliament, the Tories could through the 1922 Committee replace the PM or the Parliament could take a no-confidence vote.