Plastic bags: No more from the start of 2021

webfact

40 minutes ago, vinniekintana said:

Nanny state without any of the benefits of nanny states.

The worst of both worlds.

My thought exactly! Tax your soft drinks because sugar is bad for you and no cheap very convient plastic bags and straws because we say so! We know what is good for you!! 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

33 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

I agree with this ban on plastic, but how are they going to get the mom and pop stores and the yokels to stop offering them

we have a small shop and i get told off when i complain that if people buy more than one small item, they are put in a plastic bag

Same with drinks, plastic cup, plastic top, plastic straw, plastic spoon, plastic holder

I get funny looks at Tesco and 7-11 when i refuse a plastic bag, when all i have bought is either some milk, which has a carry handle built in, or a sandwich

I provide a large waste bin for our customers, and most of the waste is plastic, but with an awful lot just thrown on the road as they walk away too

it would be a good thing if at school there was a teaching program on the protection of one's own territory. Education is the only road that will still be long for a........ few centuries maybe.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, onekoolguy said:

My thought exactly! Tax your soft drinks because sugar is bad for you and no cheap very convient plastic bags and straws because we say so! We know what is good for you!! 

It doesn’t require a “nanny state” to make the determination that plastic bags and plastic straws are horrendously bad for the environment -- which is the environment of all of us. As for taxing high-sugar drinks, cigarettes, and other consumables that are demonstrably bad for one’s health, people who consume these items and as a result become chronically ill and require medical care drive up costs for all of us -- in the way of increased taxes and insurance premiums.

So, yes, one person’s selfishness adversely affects another person’s quality of life.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Cory1848 said:

It doesn’t require a “nanny state” to make the determination that plastic bags and plastic straws are horrendously bad for the environment -- 

They simply need to recycle it. My unanswered question is who throws all this garbage into the sea? Garbage removal companies to save money? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, smedly said:

everyone agrees with the concept but it is only workable if a viable alternative is found

and plastic bags are only part of the problem

Yes, and obviously it makes no sense at all to only attack part of the problem. Better to leave it alone until Thailand can eliminate all of the plastic waste in the world, right?????

• Sad 1

51 minutes ago, connda said:

It's about time.  I'm not a fan of big government, but there comes a time with government needs to step up and regulate.  The manufacturers of single use plastic as well as the retailers who pass this garbage out will never willing give up plastic because it effects their profits.  It's profits over the environment. 
Although this announcement has been made, personally I'll believe it when I see it.  Both the Petro-Chemical industry who makes single-use plastic as well as the retailers will lobby the Thai government hard not to implement this policy.  When money talks, ideals walk.  So let's see what it looks like come Jan 1, 2021?

Yes when PTT works out its $ loss on making these bags they will lean on Cha Cha. bBeing a pessimist on Thai change management. Can I have 1 satang for every plastic bag given to me after this magic date 2021? And will the same government be in power to honor that commitment?

1 hour ago, Fat Prophet said:

What complete nonsense. Plastic bags being used commonly is a relatively new phenomenon. The lightweight plastic bags debuted in the USA in 1976, and many of America's largest food store chains were switching from paper to plastic bags by 1982. By 1985, 75 percent of US supermarkets were offering plastic bags to their customers. Lots of "discontent and grumbling"? Deal with it.....

The question "paper or plastic" being asked at market checkout counters is still very clear in my mind. Plastic bags are, indeed, a relatively new thing; and, much like "social media", NOT a good thing overall!

• Like 2