VAT Refunds at Suvarnabhumi Airport

JuanCF

Hi, I hope this is the right forum to pose this question. I have a Non-O Visa (by marriage) and I live in Bangkok.

1. Would I be entitled to the VAT refunds at the airport for purchases made in Thailand? I plan to travel overseas soon for a holiday and intend to make some purchases here (eg LV bags) to take advantage of the VAT refunds.

2. And I will be bringing these items back in when return from my holidays. Will I be taxed then?

Would appreciate advice/comments. Thanks.

I am on Non O ME. Working in Myanmar for years. Everytime I am shopping in Thailand (such as computer, camera, bags...), i fill the VAT refund and claim it at the airport (Suvanarburni, Don Muang, Phuket) and get refund. No question ask. I might come back to Thailand the week after with the goods without any issue. I asked once the customs and they told me no problem unless you have a PR.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, BestB said:

Have gotten mine each and every time and my stay is way over 180 days

Yes, totally agree, his statement is wrong.

Recently left end of August and had no problem getting my refund, they don't even look at your visa, only data page.

To be fair it's a really painless process.

I bought a laptop at B100,000 and got the VAT back at the airport. I have lived here 25 years but for a time I was working overseas on a 10/3 rotation so was on a 30 day stay on arrival. I still have the computer here. I don't claim VAT back on a 1 year Non-O, that would seem criminal.

6 hours ago, Estrada said:

I bought a laptop at B100,000 and got the VAT back at the airport. I have lived here 25 years but for a time I was working overseas on a 10/3 rotation so was on a 30 day stay on arrival. I still have the computer here. I don't claim VAT back on a 1 year Non-O, that would seem criminal.

My laptop was 70K, i got about 4K back, better in my pocket than theirs.....

I'm not a criminal btw.

Remember that the Chinese queue for hours to get their refunds on their skin bleaching products....so arrive early and don't pack the items in your checked baggage! 

Many times I've given up on the queue and didn't claim....it's a trick to only have one staff member processing the claims to cause fear that you'll miss your flight. 

1 hour ago, QPRFC said:

Remember that the Chinese queue for hours to get their refunds on their skin bleaching products....so arrive early and don't pack the items in your checked baggage! 

Many times I've given up on the queue and didn't claim....it's a trick to only have one staff member processing the claims to cause fear that you'll miss your flight. 

Last time i did the VAT refund there was 3 staff, they were very very quick at processing people.

I've also seen long queues and had it not been moving so fast would have given up.

I'd sy it was under 1 minute per person to process, very surprised.

3 minutes ago, Janner1 said:

I have never claimed a refund largely because I have been told they keep over 50% for admin fees, Is this correct ? and if so does anyone consider it worth claiming?

Not it’s not . But you do not get 7% exact , you get about 5%

On 9/13/2019 at 6:54 AM, Estrada said:

Hope you also do not cross the roads in places without zebra otherwise it would also be criminal called jwalking????

Archived