UK's worst-case no-deal Brexit plan warns of food shortages, public disorder

webfact

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Really?

Where did you read that?

The 'European Army thing' has been a dream of a few in Europe for over 50 years; hasn't happened yet.

It wont either, without the unanimous consent of all member states!

I refer you to item 14 in  There’s a lot wrong with this viral list about the Lisbon Treaty

I didn't read it, I watched army folk discussing it...

40 minutes ago, kingdong said:

100 murders not knife crime

That's a very low murder rate - again 14,000,000 people, that's about 0.7 murders per 100,000 people. Thailand as a whole is 3.25 per 100,000 usa is 5.3 Mexico is 24.2. It's the same level as New Zealand, which is too quiet for most people. 

Just now, welovesundaysatspace said:

Like you didn’t read your own laws before the referendum but listened to “government folk” telling you it would be binding? 

Actually it was General Godfrey Bloom....But if all you want to do is lambaste whilst stomping your feet carry on..

PS. It seems the MP's at the time didn't know their own laws, yet you reckon Mr. & Mrs.Bloggs should....How daft is that.....????

Just now, transam said:

Actually it was General Godfrey Bloom....But if all you want to do is lambaste whilst stomping your feet carry on..

PS. It seems the MP's at the time didn't know their own laws, yet you reckon Mr. & Mrs.Bloggs should....How daft is that.....????

So Brexiteers find knowing their own laws “daft” and think laws don’t have to be respected when you didn’t bother to know them. And that’s the type of democracy they want to see protected. 

Just now, welovesundaysatspace said:

So Brexiteers find knowing their own laws “daft” and think laws don’t have to be respected when you didn’t bother to know them. And that’s the type of democracy they want to see protected. 

Do you actually think before you post...?

Now go back to my post and read it again and reply to what I said...

11 hours ago, CaptainNemo said:

That is as bogus an argument as the Chinese case for annexing Tibet... that you do a thing, then drag it out so long to try and stop any change, and say, oh well it's different now. Your whole position rests on your unsupported opinion that you doubt the referendum reflected the opinion of people.

Frankly, I doubt that the result of the 1997 election reflected the opinion of people, but we can't re-run that. Just because Remain failed, does not mean that the referendum failed. People don't want the EU, and that is not news to people outside the strongholds of Remain, it's very old news and to quote a favourite of Remainers, an "inconvenient truth".

We don't want it, we never did, Europhiles railroaded Europe onto the people and acted like they were ill or stupid or less informed for simply disagreeing with them - it's so unbelievably arrogant and conceited a position, and it's part of why the Remain campaign was poor, and why the majority of voters don't like Remain. Remain is a weak idea, because is a weak idea, you can't force it on people and make them think it's good when it's weak.

I know it suited a lot of middle class people, who had nice jobs and holidays/second homes out of it, and I know that the Labour party is a middle class party now, but most of the voters haven't shifted much, they're still working class and see the world and Britain's place in it differently from Europhiles/Remainiacs.

The debate about EU membership itself goes back decades, and the notion that people don't know anything is specious. Leavers have been campaigning to leave since 1992. Remainers were certainly campaigning to remain long before the campaign started. The truth is, and LSE research supports this, that Remain was always behind Leave, because Remain as a concept is unambitious, fearful, and protectionist, and those are European Union values, not British values, Britain is a uniquely global country and fencing it into some corner of the world for geographic convenience doesn't work, for Europe or Britain.

The only reasonable course of action is for a second referendum to be one after the UK has left, to vote on whether to rejoin.

It's not reasonable to undermine the concept of national votes by ignoring results, it sets a dangerous precedent that can be abused by autocrats, as is the case when Parliament refuses to go to the people to obtain a mandate... if parliament opposes the result of the referendum, it has no mandate, no legitimacy, and must be dissolved immediately. The Queen should dissolve parliament, regardless of what the Labour Party and the Remainer faction wants.

Well yes there is, the simple fact that all referenda on this subject have been non-binding, and also that you can't have one vote on joining and two (or more) votes on leaving. The Miller case has asserted Parliamentry sovereignty, and Parliament has lost legitimacy because it is at odds with the expressed will of the people, and refuses to hold a General Election. It's an untenable situation.

There is no democratic mandate to try and create a binding referendum, if the Remain Faction wants to form an unholy alliance and campaign for that in a General Election, then that is reasonable.

To try and create a binding referendum with no electoral mandate to do so, goes against the Miller ruling about parliamentary sovereignty, and it would be challenged in the courts. Wrecking the constitution is not the way to stop Brexit: it will backfire badly.

The grounds used to challenge prorogation in the Scottish court cite an ancient law that talked about the will of the people and stymying of parliament - well they can't have it both ways - Labour must vote for a General Election.

...and you may doubt it, but that has absolutely no bearing on anything, especially because you don't really appear to take any interest in what the "general leave voting population" thinks.

Untrue. There has been a consistent amount of support for leaving the EU ever since we joined it.

Many people have been politically active in 1992 when we left the EEC and joined the EU without any public consultation (Farage being one of the more recently notable ones).

That's when the Campaign for an Independent Britain started, a forerunner of the Referendum and UKIP.

No I think remaining in the EU has serious economic risks, and we should have left 3 years ago, 27 years ago, or never joined. Germany is in recession, and the Italian banks are in a precarious state. There is persistent lower-than-inflation growth, persistent high-unemployment, unwanted mass-immgration, and rising cost of living across the EU. The UK needs to escape this sinking ship as a matter of urgency, and start reforming and trading with the parts of the world that are actually growing economically.

UK democracy has been attacked and sabotaged by every part of the Remain-infested establishment, from the BBC, to the Speaker of the House, the courts, the Civil Service, and a Parliament that doesn't represent the people and refuses to hold a General Election.

Today we had the "Libidinous Demagogues" on today saying that they would simply and glibly dismiss Brexit out of hand, without even a second refendum... this is a party that calls itself "liberal" and "democratic", and wants to behave like an autocratic party, it's a party that promised not to raise tuition fees, and did the exact opposite, a party that appears to have no moral principles that will say anything for a vote, and accept anyone as a member. The contempt for democracy is outrageous; and the cries of "dictator" farcical.

Ireland, if it has any sense, will leave the EU too, as it does more trade with the UK than with the rest.

Fair enough, I was away for ages for that one, it totally passed me by like ships in the night... it was a LibDem referendum wasn't it... very selective about referenda, aren't they?

Nevertheless, all that effort in the courts to ensure that parliament has the final say does change things, as described above. You either go to the courts or have a general election, and I don't think the Judiciary wants to be confused with the Executive or the Legislature.

Still deafening silence on this one:

"If we have a second referendum to confirm our confirming that we want to leave, then it's unbalanced.

How do you reconcile that?"

No, the GE attempts failed because the Labour Party abstained en masse, and they did that because they don't have a coherent policy on Brexit, and they know they will lose, and the Rotten Remain parliament will be purged and filled with MPs that the electorate want. If MPS won't call an election, if they won't respect the result, then they have lost their mandate, their legitimacy, and it's they who can't be trusted.

Falae premise after false premise, what a waste of bits.

there are 14 million people in London excluding tourists - 100 knife crimes means you have a 0.0007 % chance of being involved in one if you live in London. That's fairly good odds to me, I'd take my chances there 

A fine Remainer attitude: “No chance of it happening to me, so it’s not a problem.”
That’s how they have let so many parts of the country deteriorate into foreign dominated cess pits.

11 minutes ago, wilcopops said:

so many Brexiteers the whole thing comes down to race.......

Racism is the ultimate form of stupidity

No that's a typical remainers point of view trying to justify why leave voters wanted to leave the entity called the EU.

Lets call them racists we feel better but really it just makes you look inept and rather simple.

As far as I can still see, the EU which has mostly Europeans citizens are all one race, which shows my previous statement to be true.

14 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

No that's a typical remainers point of view trying to justify why leave voters wanted to leave the entity called the EU.

Lets call them racists we feel better but really it just makes you look inept and rather simple.

As far as I can still see, the EU which has mostly Europeans citizens are all one race, which shows my previous statement to be true.

Have you noticed how racists spend most of their time claiming they aren't racist?

3 minutes ago, wilcopops said:

Have you noticed how racists spend most of their time claiming they aren't racist?

No I have noticed people throw the R word around like candy, especially when someone has a different opinion, so they feel justified and vilified. This seems to happen more and more, also when people don't get there own way they use the R word.

7 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

1. You can’t do a runner from a general election. It’s bound to happen every x years. 

2. There’s no party called “Remain” that could participate in such election. 

Get your facts right before posting. 

Again you are not reading a post properly.

Labour just refused an election.....

It is you who should get their facts right before posting..

Archived