Immigration chief: TM 30 law is outdated and needs to change

webfact

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm so happy I ignored this whole nonsense to date. I should have filed (or my landlord should have) at least five times now since they started enforcing it. 

A while back I heard from my landlord the whole thing was going to change - she has reliable sources from Immigration HQ.

Now if they can just fix the clusterfXck at the airports.

2 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

have you learned your lesson? will everyone please dress nicely going to immigration from now on?

or are you going to continue to disrespect Thai culture every chance you get?

Treat me and everyone else with dignity and respect and we will respect their culture.

2 minutes ago, phkauf said:

I'm so happy I ignored this whole nonsense to date. I should have filed (or my landlord should have) at least five times now since they started enforcing it. 

A while back I heard from my landlord the whole thing was going to change - she has reliable sources from Immigration HQ.

Now if they can just fix the clusterfXck at the airports.

The last time I flew back into Thailand the girl at immigration behind the desk was too busy giggling and saying handsome man and forgot to stamp my passport and I had to give it back to her and remind her how to do her job.

1 hour ago, yimlitnoy said:

This law does not need to be changed, it needs to be cancelled altogether.  There are no need to controle and regulate where each foreign individual goes within and outside Thailand.  Already each foreign individual is under time restriction via the issuance of a visa and a 90 days residential report exist if a need arises to contact an individual within the country. 

If Thailand prefered non-Asian visitors (married or retired) to live here, this can be regulated  via the already existing visa system.

Quite true. In the last 4 weeks I have given my address in Thailand 4 times to government departments. Once for my visa. On my landing card. At the DLT when I renewed my driving licences and at immigration on the TM30. When is enough enough ?

wow.

so signing the petition started the conversation in the media and lead to the big meeting with expats and the press and now some forward motion. for sure some blow back from Thai business owners and super big international companies with thousands of workers.

Don't count your chickens yet, it could always end up being worse...

Most Government requirements in Thailand are outdated, TM30's, 90 day reports, hours wasted just to renew a license, photo copies of everything, every government office has their own rules and requirements and even they change depending on the mood of an official. A developing country but developing very slowly.

40 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

Clearly you don't understand that Thailand is the centre of all that is perfect and good and true, so regulations have to exist to keep the riff-raff out by limiting the time anyone who isn't Thai can spend here

Being one of the riff-raff married to a Thai lass and with a family I can now only get a 90 day non imm O. However, I can get a 6 month tourist visa which, if you follow the Thai Consulate guidelines, you can extend by a further 90 days. And that's with not knowing anyone in Thailand.  

I'm sure the idea of a piece of paper with some written down information has been properly assessed as pointless in a modern connected hi tech society and what is really needed in these dangerous times of transnational crime is full time 24/7/365 GPS tracked video surveillance of each and every foreigner on Thai soil. To this end a budget will be approved to study, design and procure a system to this end. From this the pensions of many people will be provided.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai immigration chief Lt-Gen Sompong Chingduang has told BBC Thai that the 1979 TM 30 law is outdated and needs to change

Myself and many of the foreigners I know here had never had to do a TM30. We never even knew what one was. So, Lt-Gen, why did you not enforce it for so long, then decide to enforce and now say it's outdated? You couldn't have worked that out before you started to enforce it?

You've done your cash grab and made a **** load of money. Well done. Now stop with this stupidity before it does even more damage to the country's business and tourist reputation. Enough is enough. 

wow.

so signing the petition started the conversation in the media and lead to the big meeting with expats and the press and now some forward motion. for sure some blow back from Thai business owners and super big international companies with thousands of workers.

THEY DONT LIKE US DONT WANT US time to get out

19 minutes ago, gamesgplayemail said:

Oh no ! I have never filled one and would never, but they are going to change it ! So sad that I am not one of the very smart people who were worried about this BS form ????

Your office obviously wasn't enforcing this law. Not all offices do. For some of us, no TM 30 results in a fine and no extension until a TM30 us forthcoming. 

2 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Exceptionally good news if it is going to result in action, rather than just talk, which is what we see most of the time.

It will include a tick box asking if you are a terrorist or threat to the country. 

(As was said to be a problem the other day)

52 minutes ago, BobinBKK said:

The last time I flew back into Thailand the girl at immigration behind the desk was too busy giggling and saying handsome man and forgot to stamp my passport and I had to give it back to her and remind her how to do her job.

Fix your hairpiece at the back as well as the front so it doesn't flop forward when you Wai.

2 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Exceptionally good news if it is going to result in action, rather than just talk, which is what we see most of the time.

Great words. Until we push TM 30 over the cliff with bad outcomes constantly nothing will change. They have to get this put in their face so often they will give up. Lets not forget the recent conference where they wouldnt answer questions just statements like its not that hard to do. Every thing was fine until a couple of years ago when some idiot raised this from the dead documents pile.

Ok this might get scary, if they start fiddling with the immigration act, it's not what they take away but what they put in. Keep Plan B-C-D hot and ready.

However if it works, get rid of the 90day too and when at it, push for PR route to open.

have you learned your lesson? will everyone please dress nicely going to immigration from now on?

or are you going to continue to disrespect Thai culture every chance you get?

I think the lesson was the one well known. Make Thais lose face by creating a viral social media campaign is the only thing that'll make them act.

3 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

wow.

Just remember we want to win the war not just the battle. He may have said this just to shut us farangs up as he is getting stick from Cha Cha

11 minutes ago, Gee Ku said:

Throw TM30 out the window, not modify it to bring it up to date! National security involved? Has it prevented the bombings of shrines and buildings since 1979? No! It is a useless piece of legislation.

It's actually a very useful program for a police state, or a prison, where inmates are categorized, surveilled and their movements within the controlled facility are tracked by guards.  It's not "quite" that, but rebellious inmates who defy the warden, face explusion from the weird little hermit kingdom.

Imaginary- Do not take serious:

-Good news. TM 30 will be canceled for retirees, marriage, Thai family members and elite visa holders. But Bad news is visa fees and renewals have now been increased by 1000% and you are now required to have an insurance policy that costs minimum of 300,000 baht annually for your own safety. Please understand it is the only way we can vet you properly because only good people have a lot of money. 

Good money in, All money is good, no money and scrapers out. 

On the real side: I seriously hope some honest and caring change comes to us. Thailand is a great country, but only if it back pedals a bit and remembers how they have come to be through the foreigners help.

Archived