Immigration chief: TM 30 law is outdated and needs to change

webfact

I'm assuming that the Thai immigration chief Lt-Gen Sompong Chingduang must have received my personal letter providing him with alternative solutions in amending the outdated 1979 law: 

A) Amend the law on TM30 reporting for expats as there is no need for it, as we already provide our address when we enter the country on the TM6 card and we also report every 90 days and annually to our immigration offices when doing our extensions.

B) While amending the law on TM30 reporting, also amend the law to do away with the TM47 90 day reporting as we also report annually when we do our extensions, and if we change addresses in between extensions, we are well versed on how submit the TM28 change of address form to immigration as soon as practicable, otherwise face a fine.

There, it was so easy, right under his nose for him to see and he took full credit for it as I told him he could, genius ???? 

Now all he has to do is get the law amended, the sooner than later, one would hope.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I'm assuming that the Thai immigration chief Lt-Gen Sompong Chingduang must have received my personal letter providing him with alternative solutions in amending the outdated 1979 law: 

Your nickname suits you, Sir!

6 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

wow.

so signing the petition started the conversation in the media and lead to the big meeting with expats and the press and now some forward motion. for sure some blow back from Thai business owners and super big international companies with thousands of workers.

The guy who had the guts to start the topic was BRILLIANT.....I signed the petition, as like many others ....

58 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

A) Amend the law on TM30 reporting for expats as there is no need for it, as we already provide our address when we enter the country on the TM6 card and we also report every 90 days and annually to our immigration offices when doing our extensions.

B) While amending the law on TM30 reporting, also amend the law to do away with the TM47 90 day reporting as we also report annually when we do our extensions, and if we change addresses in between extensions, we are well versed on how submit the TM28 change of address form to submit to immigration as soon as practicable, otherwise face a fine.

There, it was so easy, right under his nose for him to see and he took full credit for it as I told him he could, genius ???? 

Now all he has to do is get the law amended, sooner than later one would hope.

well said and written

Help!!! Under the current rules what is supposed to happen if you own a condo in BKK the buy a 2nd property  in Hua Hin eg

The idea being to spend 4 days in BKK and 3 days in Hua Hin

I Initially registered in BKK would one then have to report every week and to where....BKK or Hua Hin or once in each?

2 minutes ago, Tanlic said:

Help!!! Under the current rules what is supposed to happen if you own a condo in BKK the buy a 2nd property  in Hua Hin eg

I Initially registered in BKK would one then have to report every week and to where....BKK or Hua Hin or once in each?

great question....perhaps ubonjoe can and will reply to this....he is very very knowledgable

have you learned your lesson? will everyone please dress nicely going to immigration from now on?

or are you going to continue to disrespect Thai culture every chance you get?

I wear nice clothes when I go to do my extension I wear sandels short pants and a tee shirt when I do my 90 day report this is in a different office and you have to wait outside

TM 30 i have never heard of it?? and i lived in Thailand so many times i cant count them , im married to a Thai  nobody have ever  asked us about a TM 30. I just go there and stay and nobody has  ever challenged me with forms , or scams. Believe me i will answer to no <deleted> in respect to where i will go / stay in Thailand. I must admit since 2006  till 2018 ive lived in Thailand 23 times from 18 days to 60 days, no official have ever asked me for anything, i drive there where ever and when ever i want , ive never had 1 single word to me in respect to freedom of movement or where i'm going , nobody has ever fined  me a penny . You sure you guys are not just imagining things??

1 minute ago, stephen savell said:

TM 30 i have never heard of it?? and i lived in Thailand so many times i cant count them , im married to a Thai  nobody have ever  asked us about a TM 30. I just go there and stay and nobody has  ever challenged me with forms , or scams. Believe me i will answer to no <deleted> in respect to where i will go / stay in Thailand. I must admit since 2006  till 2018 ive lived in Thailand 23 times from 18 days to 60 days, no official have ever asked me for anything, i drive there where ever and when ever i want , ive never had 1 single word to me in respect to freedom of movement or where i'm going , nobody has ever fined  me a penny . You sure you guys are not just imagining things??

you have said yourself in your stated numbers above, that effectively you've never exceeded 3 months (90days) in any one stay...  

No thats  right ive not exceeded 90  days  and  i n ever  will lol!!  i barely come with 50 days there, ive no intention of living there  fore ever no way known . I dont adhere to all such rubbish. Its easy if they hassle you just tell em your not interested. Thai laws  well) there for Thais, if they want to put up with all that <deleted>  - up to them, but i would never put up with it!

Thailand  should recall that without the foreigners they have a big percentage of nothing. I would never dare put restrictions on people enhancing the countries economy - that's just not on!

38 minutes ago, Tanlic said:

just report once at one property.  you don't report again because they will not know.

Well, okay, so they say this a law is outdated and I quote '...needs to change...' I don't see anything in that says it will be abolished, just that it will change. And to NCC1701A who wrote [with regard to Dexlowe's '...cynical'] 'that is all there is on this forum. not a good place to judge much of anything except where to buy paint.' I ask what interpretation do you give for this 'needs to change'?

'...The immigration chief added that since August 31st developments have been put in place to "relieve the problems being experienced by foreigners residing in the country". Okay, I'll agree that this looks like a positive move in favour of expats so let's not be cynical (eh?) and look on the bright side. Recent problems were;

1. Embassy letter; relief = will be to reinstate the former acceptance of the embassy letter for the combo method...even better, scrap it altogether and accept the foreigners own documents only.

2. Extra 3 months (after extension renewal) on seasoned funds in bank account; relief = extra 3 months scrapped and no seasoning required.

3. Insurance Non-OA visa; relief = government to issue a standard insurance scheme for all expats, all ages, costing (say) 20,000 Baht per year.

4. TM 30; relief = one time signing only and signature on 90 day report sufficient.

Some very nice extra reliefs would be: One year extension extended to five years but with same financial requirements as for one year; 90 day report changed to 365 days. (Please, no one to be cynical. In fact please add to list. (hint; those on marriage extension scheme only wife present at application and marriage certificate required.)

Yeah party time????????

To the poster who replied to my earlier post saying you heard CW was not fining anymore. I have confirmed with my agent its business as usual at Counter B (TM30 counters) and fines continue to be issued. At least as of this morning when Agent P was there.

P.S. I guess you deleted your post or was deleted as I don't see it now. 

5 hours ago, Tambs2020 said:

OK.. Now the next protest should be about having to do "Runs" when married to a Thai citizen.

Once married you should NOT have to deal with all that rubbish. 

My wife can live in my home country because she is married to a citizen,  this should be a reciprocal agreement.

Or should I be writing this to the chief himself.. I'm sure he will see sense ???? haha

"this should be a reciprocal agreement"

The same kind of reciprocal agreement that ISN'T there so that the UK can freeze my Old Age Pension?

have you learned your lesson? will everyone please dress nicely going to immigration from now on?

or are you going to continue to disrespect Thai culture every chance you get?

It's them bloody Aussies in their wifebeaters, stubbies and flipflops wot did it.

All the visa  and the rubbish  should be binned , its only the corrupt money hungry  military govvy in charge  that all this is still in place . They complicate  something that really is so easy .

If you want people to come  and spend and live there ? Answer is simple you leave them to their own devices . Either they  (Thais ) want a good economy and things going well ............or they dont !!! you cant have it both ways !!! At the moment with all the junk papers piled onto the expats etc!  well they  are coming the ''beggar be chooser'' in this way. Its really simple, if people want to live there  then for god sake  leave them alone. People go to this country to get away from all the western bureaucracy ........  i know i do!

I was thinking of buying a condo there, but as soon as i found out about the <deleted> papers and criteria , i gave that idea  a miss  real fast . If im paying the coin out))))  i will answer to nobody............i mean how damn rude huh ! Talk about looking the gift horse in the mouth.

2 hours ago, Pib said:

I had to file the TM30 to get the extension.  The immigration office did the great majority of the extension processing but without a TM30 on-file the officer would not finalize the extension.  The officer sent to the TM30 area to clear-up the TM30 issue...that is, file a TM30 and pay the fine since I had never filed one since being in Thailand for over a decade and doing 9 previous extensions of stay.  Now with a TM30 receipt in-hand I went back to the officer and she finished approving the extension.  

O.K.  What's the deal? AFAIK you only need to file a TM30 if you are out of your province for more than 24 hours. I have not filed a TM30 either after having lived here for 10+ years.  I always take my wife when I go for annual and put my current address on the TM7. Same address for the past 10 years.

21 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

Well, okay, so they say this a law is outdated and I quote '...needs to change...' I don't see anything in that says it will be abolished, just that it will change. And to NCC1701A who wrote [with regard to Dexlowe's '...cynical'] 'that is all there is on this forum. not a good place to judge much of anything except where to buy paint.' I ask what interpretation do you give for this 'needs to change'?

'...The immigration chief added that since August 31st developments have been put in place to "relieve the problems being experienced by foreigners residing in the country". Okay, I'll agree that this looks like a positive move in favour of expats so let's not be cynical (eh?) and look on the bright side. Recent problems were;

1. Embassy letter; relief = will be to reinstate the former acceptance of the embassy letter for the combo method...even better, scrap it altogether and accept the foreigners own documents only.

2. Extra 3 months (after extension renewal) on seasoned funds in bank account; relief = extra 3 months scrapped and no seasoning required.

3. Insurance Non-OA visa; relief = government to issue a standard insurance scheme for all expats, all ages, costing (say) 20,000 Baht per year.

4. TM 30; relief = one time signing only and signature on 90 day report sufficient.

Some very nice extra reliefs would be: One year extension extended to five years but with same financial requirements as for one year; 90 day report changed to 365 days. (Please, no one to be cynical. In fact please add to list. (hint; those on marriage extension scheme only wife present at application and marriage certificate required.)

Yeah party time????????

Recent problems were......

Now where are the recent solutions? I missed them somewhere along the way. Not totally unrealistic for me.

7 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Somehow, given the Immigration chief's comments above, I fear another round of wrist-bracelet, SIM card or microchip tracking of foreigners proposals coming along... :ph34r:

Absolutely nothing against it, if it saves me the bloody paperwork and could it do within a second on the mobile.

23 minutes ago, albertik said:

O.K.  What's the deal? AFAIK you only need to file a TM30 if you are out of your province for more than 24 hours. I have not filed a TM30 either after having lived here for 10+ years.  I always take my wife when I go for annual and put my current address on the TM7. Same address for the past 10 years.

Basically ditto for me....here for 11 years...never missed a 90 day report....same address on TM7 each year....but I had never filed a TM30....should have filed one when first arriving Thailand.  With no TM30 on file Chaengwattana required me to file one during my annual extension of stay before they would finalize the extension approval... and that TM30 overdue filing came with a Bt800 fine.

Archived