Working in Thailand with Thai Birth Certificate

Hi! 

Here is the situation. I’m half thai and my whole life I have had dual citizenship. So when I was born my parents made sure I have a Thai birth certificate as well as a German one. 

I also had a Thai passport for a while but since i rarely used it, it expired and I never got it renewed. 

I understand the process of getting my Thai passport renewed. I have to fly to Thailand get registered in the Ta bien Ban of my family, then apply for a Thai ID card and can then get my passport renewed. I wonder if anyone has experience on how long this whole procedure takes? 

And secondly wether I might be able to already start working in Thailand before the whole process is finished, as technically I am a Thai citizen with my birth certificate. 

Thank you for your help! 

You can legally work in Thailand, the issue may be how you enter Thailand.

As you will enter with your German passport, then this MAY present an issue working wise, TBH I am not sure about that part, one thing that will be an issue initially is the period of your permission to stay, you can extend this based on being a Thai Citizen, which at that point I would think you can work.

The process of getting the Thai passport should not take that long, however, you should then reenter the country using the Thai passport.

Employers would definitely want to see and have a copy of your Thai ID card prior to employing you.

17 minutes ago, Jeeeennms said:

I wonder if anyone has experience on how long this whole procedure takes? 

It should not take more than a few days to be registered in blue tamien ban and the get a Thai ID card so you can apply for a passport.

If you still have your expired passport you could enter Thailand using it.

I am certain you will need your Thai card to find a job and start working.

The main issue is that you need a Thai ID number to be registered for Social Fund. If you were born outside of Thailand you may have a Thai birth certificate but not a Thai ID number.

If you come to Thailand this number will be generated before you are registered in a house book and before you receive your Thai ID card. The process might take a few days, but not too long. It's not the physical printing of a house book or an ID card, it's the process to check your application for a Thai ID number that will take a short while. As you understand, possession of a Thai ID number (in the categories reserved for Thai people) equals having Thai citizenship, so applications are checked carefully.

On the other hand, you could have a Thai ID number because you were born in Thailand or because your parents applied for it via the Thai Embassy in your country ( in which case it will be stamped on your Thai birth certificate).

Realistically though you need to get added to a house book and then get your ID card. Without that employers won't employ you as a Thai person. After all why would you give a potential employer ID card problems to deal with before they hire you?

23 minutes ago, FredGallaher said:

Your are Thai and only need to get a Thai ID card. If you arrive on a German PP you will need a Visa etc. Best to apply for Thai PP at Embassy or Consulate in Germany and enter with your Thai PP. Once in Thailand you can register and get an ID card. 

You might be able to get a Thai ID at the consulate, but it's real easy at the local Amphur.

Since you are Thai you can work, own property, etc. No restrictions. 

Adults cannot apply for a Thai passport at an embassy without a Thai ID number now.

Embassies and official Thai consulates cannot issue a ID number. It can only be done at an Amphoe here.

Our girls have dual nationality.

Getting a Thai ID card was relatively easy. Go to the local ampheu and register. My wife took them (as their mother), and if I recall took her Thai ID and the girls' birth certificates. Nothing from me as the father. So might help if you have a relative go with you.

Similarly entering them in the Tabian bahn was done at the local ampheu and easy

So probably do these two first

For Thai passport (as children/minors):

Before they had their Thai ID cards (before age 7) then mother and father had to go, with their passport and ID cards, + Thai birth (originals and copies of) certificates of the girls. Plus Tabian bahn original and copies if I recall

After having ID cards they take those + Tabian bahn. Father and mother still needed to go with their docs. But assuming you are an adult that wouldn't be required.

All 3 processes were pretty easy, and didn't take long. Thai ID card at ampheu just depends on the queue. Thai passport takes a little more time. Depending on queues. Then receive via registered post or pick up in person just under a week later

Once you have your Thai ID card of course no worries about working.

Working before you have an ID card may be an issue at many places of work. The reason being is that the employer will want to see your ID card as part of their process of initiating you into the company and setting up all your HR records. They will also need your personal details in systems for so many things, eg either a Thai ID card number or a tax number to put you into their payroll reports (submitted monthly) to the Thai revenue. Every single person employed and paid will be on that report, and will show the ID number of each. So likely to be a lot of issues - mainly driven by the company without the ID card. So as the ID card should be easy, it'll be much easier to get it first.

• Like 1