The getting old curse – How are you dealing with it?

tomgreen

2 hours ago, tomgreen said:

Any way , thanks for posting your thoughts and I wish you well in fighting your illness , which I’m sure with you continued positive out look , you will win 

Unfortunately this is one battle I won't win and I know that but I'm looking forward to many years ahead. However, after spending 2 years with my head in my hands thinking 'woe is me' - I decided that I was taking charge, I will control my future for as long as I can, not the b$$tard disease. Yes, there's always something, as you say but there is nothing you can do about it - you're getting older every minute.

What you can do is take charge of the life you have - at the moment your thoughts seem to be that you can't. You need to be in the right mood to do that and there are ways to do that. One of the best things you can do is to exercise. There is a medical reason but I can't remember what it is (age ????) but for some reason, when you take excercise your mental attitude improves.  I realise that when its 36 degrees, the last thing on your mind is exercise but that's where thinking positive comes in. You have to push yourself - its so easy to talk about exercising but never actually do it - you'll do it later right?

Get yourself up early and take some exercise before it gets hot.  Give it a try, believe me, it works.

Take control of your life and try to stop feeling like a victim.

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Unfortunately this is one battle I won't win and I know that but I'm looking forward to many years ahead. However, after spending 2 years with my head in my hands thinking 'woe is me' - I decided that I was taking charge, I will control my future for as long as I can, not the b$$tard disease. Yes, there's always something, as you say but there is nothing you can do about it - you're getting older every minute.

What you can do is take charge of the life you have - at the moment your thoughts seem to be that you can't. You need to be in the right mood to do that and there are ways to do that. One of the best things you can do is to exercise. There is a medical reason but I can't remember what it is (age ????) but for some reason, when you take excercise your mental attitude improves.  I realise that when its 36 degrees, the last thing on your mind is exercise but that's where thinking positive comes in. You have to push yourself - its so easy to talk about exercising but never actually do it - you'll do it later right?

Get yourself up early and take some exercise before it gets hot.  Give it a try, believe me, it works.

Take control of your life and try to stop feeling like a victim.

I really don’t know what to say but your positiveness is awe inspiring and certainly makes me think and at the same time puts my own trivial feelings into prospective. I know and admit that my thoughts on many subjects are generally negative ones and I am trying to change that situation.

The exerciser thing is some thing I’m currently looking at and will act on it . One other thought Ive had is this thought , many times I see diet and exercise mentioned both in relation to health issues and several posts here relating to my original ‘’ on the downward slope feeling “” and the advice seems to point to a general consensus of altering your diet and taking up exerciser as being a bonus .

Here’s my thought …. So I change my Diet 

There’s a little voice in side my head that keeps whispering this thought . Here you are at 70 years of age and having to sadly deny your self many things in the food and drinks department that you use to really look forward to and made you feel happy,  all in the hope that doing so ‘’ may ‘’ add a few more years to your life span and well being .  

So I’m now asking my self is this . At what age remembering that I’m 70 , do I say to my self , look what the F*** are you doing , your 70 years old and you should be enjoying your remaining years , not having to give up and deny the things that make you happy , eat drink and be merry as I may not wake up in the morning .

Any thoughts  ????

5 minutes ago, tomgreen said:

I really don’t know what to say but your positiveness is awe inspiring and certainly makes me think and at the same time puts my own trivial feelings into prospective. I know and admit that my thoughts on many subjects are generally negative ones and I am trying to change that situation.

The exerciser thing is some thing I’m currently looking at and will act on it . One other thought Ive had is this thought , many times I see diet and exercise mentioned both in relation to health issues and several posts here relating to my original ‘’ on the downward slope feeling “” and the advice seems to point to a general consensus of altering your diet and taking up exerciser as being a bonus .

There’s a little voice in side my head that keeps whispering this thought . Here you are at 70 years of age and having to sadly deny your self many things in the food and drinks department that you use to really look forward to and made you feel happy,  all in the hope that doing so ‘’ may ‘’ add a few more years to your life span and well being .  

So I’m now asking my self is this . At what age remembering that I’m 70 , do I say to my self , look what the F*** are you doing , your 70 years old and you should be enjoying your remaining years , not having to give up and deny the things that make you happy , eat drink and be merry as I may not wake up in the morning .

Any thoughts  ????

On the other hand if you exercise and eat fresh healthy food,you remember what your grandmother said about eating your greens,cut out ultra high processed food and alcohol,lose weight,get enough sleep you will feel like a new man even at 70.

Doesn't mean you can never have a beer or a burger just target quality over quantity.

25 minutes ago, tomgreen said:

Any thoughts  ????

Your thinking is flawed. I had been active all my life, running, jogging, martial arts, bicycling, bowling, clubbing, music concerts, phyisical work ,ect.  When I came over here to retire at 65 I did nothing but sit on my ass, eat junk food (McDonalds/Dunkin/BurgerKing) and binge watch TV prorams I did not have time to watch when working. A year later I had put on over 20 pounds and had a heart attack. After fully recovering I ate no junk food for 4 months, no donuts, coke, Burger King , cheese, Chocolate. Ate fish 3 times a week, more veggies/fruits and got back into exercising (ridding bike, martial arts ,weights.) Now I drink coke (but not 2 2liters a day) eat at McDonalds (but not every day) Dark chocolate on occsion, and cheese now and then . probably 2 easy over eggs for breakfast with whole wheat bread(toast) ham,sausage or strip of bacon.

You don't have to give up everything you have loved to eat and be miserable  just have exercise and change diet slowly . Sylverster Stalone doesn't get that body at 73 from sitting all day but if you don't think he has a beer now and then or eats steak when he wants your crazy. Try taking 2 Turmeric( Curcuman) capsuls and 1 Ceylon Cinnamon caps with every meal. Turmeric has anti-inflamation and pain reducing properties as  well as improving mood. Ceylon Cinnamon reduces blood sugar.

You can say "Oh I don't think that will help or this will work " or what ever but if you don't try to make a change the there will never be one. Sometimes the changers will not add a lot of extra years to your life but definately a better quality of life. I will be 72 in 10 days.

Image may contain: text

2 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

Try taking 2 Turmeric( Curcuman) capsuls and 1 Ceylon Cinnamon caps with every meal. Turmeric has anti-inflamation and pain reducing properties as  well as improving mood. Ceylon Cinnamon reduces blood sugar.

The problem is everybody has their own "miracle cure" for a healthier, longer life. if I listened to all the advice I'd be taking a 100 vitamins and herbal extracts a day. I already take Magnesium, Fish Oil, Vitamin B, Probiotics, Saw Palmetto, Milk Thistle, and there's probably 10 more that I just got sick of taking in a cupboard getting mouldy.

3 hours ago, giddyup said:

Not sure how that would get through customs. If confiscated you're out $700. Used to be able to buy from vet clinics here, maybe still can. You just click on the name if you want to PM.

i ordered on inet, i sent the money on wu but they didnt send

it. also tried vet pet shop but they would have none of it

32 minutes ago, giddyup said:

The problem is everybody has their own "miracle cure" for a healthier, longer life. if I listened to all the advice I'd be taking a 100 vitamins and herbal extracts a day. I already take Magnesium, Fish Oil, Vitamin B, Probiotics, Saw Palmetto, Milk Thistle, and there's probably 10 more that I just got sick of taking in a cupboard getting mouldy.

I don't, never have bothered with magic herbs and spices, I just eat a good wholesome diet of mainly fruit and vegetables, no animal products other than a bit of cheese now and then, sure I have a few splurges along the way, a beer if I feel like it, an ice-cream sometimes, a biscuit or two. 

It's what you eat 80 - 90% of the time that counts, the other 10 - 20% takes care of itself. 

Or just go to youtube and type in search bar  Exercise for Seniors .  You will see a page come up with a bunch of videos for easy exercises to do with aid of a chair , in bed , or on floor. No need to spend baht for a gym your never going to go to. Can at least tone muscles and get stronger. Exercise can release hormones in the body that make you feel better (like drugs) See below

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/10-benefits-of-exercise

8 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

Or just go to youtube and type in search bar  Exercise for Seniors .  You will see a page come up with a bunch of videos for easy exercises to do with aid of a chair , in bed , or on floor. No need to spend baht for a gym your never going to go to. Can at least tone muscles and get stronger. Exercise can release hormones in the body that make you feel better (like drugs) See below

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/10-benefits-of-exercise

Last time I tried to do some pushups I damaged rotator cuffs in both shoulders, that was over a year ago and they still hurt like hell. Those exercises are for the over 40's not the over 70's.

7 hours ago, giddyup said:

Not sure how that would get through customs. If confiscated you're out $700. Used to be able to buy from vet clinics here, maybe still can. You just click on the name if you want to PM.

You would talk to them first and explain your situation.  They are an old, well known organization with chapters mostly in Northern Europe.  They won't just send it, but need to know your reasons.  But if they do send you anything, they know what to do.  They are 100 percent non profit.  

4 hours ago, Tony125 said:

Any thoughts  

Many,

The one thing that is reassuring about still living in the UK is our NHS. I can't speak for other areas but in mine, as soon as you're diagnosed with cancer, a whole network of help swings into action. Some of this is useful, other parts I either don't want, don't need or if they are giving advice, I may modify that advice to either fit with my needs or my thinking.

The nutritionist I was given access to was a great help - she asked for an accurate description of my daily diet over 7 days.  I have always eaten reasonably well and she agreed that although some of the things I was eating might not be the very best for me, my diet was pretty good. She did make a few suggestions and those have helped greatly.

You don't have to go without. You don't have to start eating lentils and the like.  Just eat well, eat a balanced diet and don't eat too much.  My personal advice - although given without any expertise is to stay away from waste products and processed food.  By waste products I mean sausages, burgers and the like - they are just full of <deleted>.  McDonalds might like to tell us they only use the finest beef in their burgers but ask yourself this, would anyone on their right mind, mince 500 baht's worth of beef fillet up and sell you it for 100?  I stay away from made up food and processed food. I only buy food where I can clearly see what's in it. The one thing that a great many people don't eat enough of is vegetables - I'm lucky, I'd rather do without my meat than go without my veggies.

Most, if not all of the major food manufacturers are out for one thing and one thing only - profit. They have no interest in selling you quality whole ingredients because they can make a hell of a lot more cash from selling you low quality food, using 'fill' to bulk it out and flavourings to make it taste good.  Take a sausage for example, what do you think it would taste like if the flavouring was taken out?  Pure pork on the other hand, needs no flavouring to taste good when cooked correctly. Its just common sense when you start to look at it. You are what you eat. Try putting low grade petrol in your car and see how well it runs.

With exercise, you don't need to run marathons. I can be as positive as I like, that won't rid me of arthritis and worn joints.  Old age = wear and you have to take account of that. It is important however, to do some exercise. As I said before, do it for a while and I guarantee it will lift your spirits.  Concentrate on what you can do and stop worrying about what you can't.

4 hours ago, giddyup said:

Last time I tried to do some pushups I damaged rotator cuffs in both shoulders, that was over a year ago and they still hurt like hell. Those exercises are for the over 40's not the over 70's.

If you watched the vid or read my comments after the vid I said you could go to YouTube and type in the search bar Exercise for Seniors. A page will come up with a buch of vids with modified exercises for seniors including modified push ups or alternitive exercises for seniors that can even be done while in bed.

Foods to reduce pain

http://www.nutritionexp.com/11-foods-knee-pain-naturally/

Golden Milk benefits

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/nutrition/i-replaced-diet-soda-with-this-spiced-drink-for-2-weeks-and-the-results-were-surprising/ar-AAGtrsm?li=BBnb7Kz 

7 ProvennBenefits of Matcha Green Tea

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/7-benefits-of-matcha-tea 

These Superfoods will do wonders for your heart

http://www.beachraider.com/worldwide/heart-attack?utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=yahoo&utm_term=NEWS_US&utm_campaign=yh-br-heart-attack-enb-des-us-26059d

3 Core exercises for seniors to improve stability

https://www.warriormade.com/content/exercise/3-core-exercises-for-seniors-to-improve-stability/?&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=wm-blog-exercise&utm_content=account-3---tracking-0521190500&subAffId=facebook&affSub=0521190500&affId=3&fbclid=IwAR2tYQlu0hXySyV1cUhLa5tpirRcQm8kcDLruH56PgA3BJmsUI0hxNYwPEg

A Neuroscientist this Japanese secrete to longer life

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/good-news/a-neuroscientist-explains-why-this-japanese-secret-to-a-longer-and-happier-life-is-gaining-attention-from-millions/ar-AABKqiO?li=BBnb7Kz

11 hours ago, giddyup said:

Over 70 do gym at least 14 hrs a week. Yes an hour morning and evening

Sometimes when I see a corpse by the river(or Klong) I will stop to join the other people milling around to have a look.

When I look at the bloated body of a drowned victim(they smell) I will contemplate on my worries of money, past relationship, (friends and wife) and all the things that irritate or annoy me, and last but not least my pains of growing old.(pains in my joints mainly)

I see the ultimate realty of life, this is what I will become finally, my body bloated and they put it in the box and the undertaker will push the button and the box will go into the oven. That's it. Nothing more is there?

What's the point of thinking too much about growing old?

I e-mail "Digitas"(assisted suicide center in switzerland) I was surprised that they wanted so much money for the job. They really are bloodsuckers of the would be dying people. They suck all the blood till the corpse is dry. I wanted to get ready in case I fall ill, I am pretty much alone, nobody will be able to clean up if I fall sick so before that happen I need to go. I need to find alternative, anyone know another center ?

Oh, could I buy barbiturates without doctor's ordinance in Thailand? In 2 years time I will hit the lucky number 7. Know what I mean? I will still come to Thailand to enjoy the friendship of the people.

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Sorry ( I think ), but I can't think of a single reason to want to be old.

It may be inevitable, but that doesn't make it enjoyable.

Many of my close friends died in the 30s, 40s and fifties, I feel privileged to have made it, so making the best of it. Just miss them often.  

23 hours ago, giddyup said:

If you have 10 suppliments that you were taking sitting on a shelf and don't feel any difference from not taking them then you never needed them.  Ever heard of PED's = Performance  Enhancing Drugs ? They are  drugs that turn a good athlete  into a Olympic caliber  athlete and are banned in sports as they give the athlete an unfair advantage over those not taking the drugs. You can order HGH (Human Growth Hormone) boosters and Testosterone  boosters to increase strength. Can get actual HGH and Testosterone shots here in Thailand, there is a clinic in Pattaya where you live that specializes in Hormone replacement therapy. If it works for those atheletes it will work on you. Stalone has admitted to taking the HGH shots but not steroids (Testosterone shots.

You can also take Protien Powder, preferably Protien Isolate that can help you gain strength and muscles without getting fat as it contains less calories than regular protien mixes but you have to work out. We can't do some of the exercises we did in our youth but there are alternative ones for seniors. Guys on here talking about spending $700 on drugs ordered abroad so they can peacefully check out, seems to me the money would be better spent to improve your situaton here. Only after all other alternatives had been exhausted would I try that and in my case I would never think of that.

The below program is for women but listen to what she talks about in vid

https://blog.lumahealth.com/beginners-guide-exercise?utm_campaign=Taboola Native Ads&utm_source=Taboola&utm_medium=Referral - Age 25>50 campaign&utm_term=Exercise&utm_source=taboola&utm_medium=referral

Protein: When you hit your 70s, your ability to build muscle mass deteriorates. Plus, your protein needs grow even as your intake and appetite may wane. "Once you lose more than 10 percent of your muscle mass, your immune system doesn't function properly," says Randall J. Urban, chair of the Department of Internal Medicine at the University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston. The good news: Supplementing with protein powders or pills can increase lean body mass and muscle. Recommended dose: 20 to 30 grams of whey protein powder mixed into a daily shake.

Essential vitamins as we age

https://www.webmd.com/healthy-aging/over-50-nutrition-17/vitamin-essentials-as-we-age

Suppliments to take in your 50,s  60,s   70,s

https://www.aarp.org/health/drugs-supplements/info-2015/must-have-supplements.html

They have this at Royal Garden Mall in Pattya---out by 2nd Road

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/fitness/is-ems-training-the-missing-link-to-your-dream-body/ar-BBOzczu

Not quite 60 and still working, but learning to drive in Thailand at 57. I must have a death wish. 

That aside, genetics have a lot to answer for. Some people can do everything possible to live a healthy life, but if your genes are not good, that healthy living will only slightly delay the inevitable in most cases. Sad, but true.  On the plus side, you can always blame someone else for your physical failings. I blame my dad's side of the family for my prostate probs and developing allergies, but am thankful that all but one are very healthy (except prostate) and in their late 80's or early 90's.     

On 9/18/2019 at 10:19 AM, giddyup said:

Unfortunately, the drug you mentioned isn't available at your local pharmacy. If you know a source please PM me.

It's used as an anaesthetic for horses. That's all the hint I can give you.

On 9/18/2019 at 4:28 PM, giddyup said:

Example,after running since Jr High I turned 57 and got pain in left knee. Ibuprofen would clear the pain after awhile but as soon as I tried running again the pain returned. I figured my running days were over. A friend (also a runner) told me to take Glucosamine and Chondroitin (you can buy here) every day to repair damage/wear and tear to my knee. It took 2 months but pain went away. Now I take it a few times a week for maintanence. It also worked for 6 out of 8 friends I suggested take it. Suppliments don't always work for everyone but you can try and see.

7 Brain damaging habits to stop

http://hhdresearch.org/7-brain-damaging-habits/

7 Amazing effects of Turmeric on your body

http://hhdresearch.org/7-amazing-effects-of-turmeric-on-your-body/

You said you hurt your rotator cuffs both shoulders trying to do push ups. Don't train if you don't know what your doing. Our bodies (if haven't been training) are less strong/flexable than when we were young but there are ways to trian in a gym or otherwise to do exercises. Check the vids below

So you can do these assisted/alternative exercises untill your flexability and strength increases thru practice. Below why I and many friends swear by Glucosamine and Chondroitin can take with added MSN

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/265748.php

1 minute ago, Tony125 said:

You said you hurt your rotator cuffs both shoulder trying to do push ups. Don't train if you don't know what your doing. Our bodies (if haven't been traing) are less strong/flexable than when we were young but there are ways to trian in a gym or otherwise to do exercises. 

So you can do these assisted/alternative exercises untill your flexability and strength increases thru practice. Below why I and many friends swear by Glucosamine and Chondroitin can take with added MSN

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/265748.php

Too late now, damage has been done, and like I said I'm really up to the gills with vitamins and supplements. I appreciate your advice, but at 77 I'm not sure if a couple of extra vitamins or different supplements are either going to prolong or improve my life. Wouldn't say my health is perfect, but it's probably a lot better than some.

45 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Too late now, damage has been done, and like I said I'm really up to the gills with vitamins and supplements. I appreciate your advice, but at 77 I'm not sure if a couple of extra vitamins or different supplements are either going to prolong or improve my life. Wouldn't say my health is perfect, but it's probably a lot better than some.

As I said in above post over 40 years of running damaged my knee but the Glucosamine and Chondroitin (with MSN) repaired the damage. You need to read the article on Glucosamine and Chondroitin it can repair the rotator cuff if not too badly damaged but as Thai say "it up to you"    I hope my posts in this article has given some help to others that might benefit by a change in nutrition ,exercise, lifestyle.

You say your health is not perfect but it's probably better than some but your responses to many of the posts in this article seem very pessimistic (depresion) example inquiring about availability of Euthanasia drugs. PM me if you want any further sugestions.

56 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

You say your health is not perfect but it's probably better than some but your responses to many of the posts in this article seem very pessimistic (depresion) example inquiring about availability of Euthanasia drugs. PM me if you want any further sugestions.

Not depressed, just want to prepare myself in case things go bad quickly, which can happen. 

56 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Not depressed, just want to prepare myself in case things go bad quickly, which can happen. 

I think it is important to be prepared. I too will look for the necessary tools in a few years. If you wait too long you may no longer in a position to help yourself and it is unfair to burden someone else with that, especially if they do not agree with euthanasia or it goes against their belief system. 

I want to be able to say, "Enough is enough. I have a good life and it is time for me to go." Hopefully that will be 20 or more years down the road. I am not depressed. In fact I am the happiest I have been for many, many years. Death does not frighten me. 

Dying slowly, painfully, in a state of total decrepitude or being unable to care for myself does. Being a burden on others does too.  

Archived