No place to hide: Immigration’s new biometric system nabs 45,000 overstaying foreigners in Thailand

webfact

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Seems like most of the recent "successes" have been people LEAVING Thailand.

All eight of them. And now what? Keep them? Deport them? Bad guys in, bad guys stay.

Didn't seem to prevent them from entering Thailand, with a real or fake passport, spending time here, procuring fake passports locally.

The cynic in me assumes the local document producer, or thief, then rats out the client, making a bit of dosh on both ends? 

fake Greek passports they had bought for 50,000 Euros (1.7 million baht) in Turkey. 

44,900 most  likely  burmese laos  cambodian etc tc etc  who are in a totally different economic group to expats.

Guess the labour  shortage  will now  increase  Thailand, well done watch, the price  rise as  factories cant find  workers.

7 minutes ago, geronimo said:

Not very long ... I believe that in developed countries, children will be chipped at birth and that will happen in the next 5 years.

It's happening now in China.

Check out their Social Credit System, and what they're doing with facial recognition.

Every citizen is being tracked and categorized.

45 minutes ago, PattayaGuy2019 said:

I don't understand this constant flaming of Thailand or anything it does

Why? its  pretty  apparent to most  people that almost everything they do is a  major  cockup, badly  thought  out, usually unnecessary, plainly stupid and not for the benefit of the Thais.

But you don't  understand it.

That's what I don't understand

Most of the overstayers could have been known about by simply checking the databases of today's date, the passport and the visa and visa or extension expiration date.  If person has not left the country by time visa or extension has expired, a simple excel spreadsheet, access one database or whatever could query and find the open things.  Biometrics can help spot many edge cases, but the basic over stay situation would be easy to check on if the entering and leaving dates and passport info was available

8 minutes ago, Chazar said:

44,900 most  likely  burmese laos  cambodian etc tc etc  who are in a totally different economic group to expats.

Guess the labour  shortage  will now  increase  Thailand, well done watch, the price  rise as  factories cant find  workers.

Not at all there are many  Thai people / family out of work, they often come to my house asking for money because they have no job, cigarettes yes drink yes car yes motorbike yes, but no money because cant find a job.

2 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

It's happening now in China.

Check out their Social Credit System, and what they're doing with facial recognition.

Every citizen is being tracked and categorized.

but can't compare China Communist / Dictatorship government VS a Thai FREE democratically elected government  555 (sarcasm intended)

3 minutes ago, Chazar said:

Why? its  pretty  apparent to most  people that almost everything they do is a  major  cockup, badly  thought  out, usually unnecessary, plainly stupid and not for the benefit of the Thais.

But you don't  understand it.

That's what I don't understand

Ditto

1 hour ago, petedk said:

On Sept 11th 5 were arrested

Sept 12th 3 arrested

Sept 13 1 arrest

Long long way to the 45,000 arrests.

To be fair he didn't say 45,000 arrests, he said 45,000 were checked and found to be overstaying. I suspect most of these would be Cambodians, Burmese etc.

41 minutes ago, tlandtday said:

give it a few months as the real criminals will figure out a way around all of this and it will be back to square one...

Everybody has the right to there own view but when you have seen the going on over  the years it us difficult to think anything other than scepticism 

50 minutes ago, PattayaGuy2019 said:

People on this site are always bashing Thailand, yes it's not perfect by far but it has some good points. You talk as if it's the worst country in the world lol I don't understand this constant flaming of Thailand or anything it does. I think this scanner is a good thing so stop bad mouthing it. It helps keep the doggy people out and that is a good thing. But you people constantly ridicule and make fun of Thailand, sure it's funny to start with but please change the the record everything you say is a so negative. I would judge from some of the ridiculous comments posted, people making the posts don't even live in Thailand, you just use this site to sound off your bigoted ignorant views that are so toxic. YOU ARE NOT FUNNY GET A LIFE

When there's so information coming from the Thai authorites that is pure BS it's no wonder that we "bash" Thailand. The TAT are a case in point.

On this occasion the figures DO add up IMHO.

2 hours ago, petedk said:

On Sept 11th 5 were arrested

Sept 12th 3 arrested

Sept 13 1 arrest

Long long way to the 45,000 arrests.

Maybe he attended the same maths school that Jacob Zuma, ex south african president did?

I wonder if the number of people caught was not eleventy seven seven persons instead of the 45000 ?

Maybe 45000 caught in the whole of China??

29 minutes ago, geronimo said:

Not very long ... I believe that in developed countries, children will be chipped at birth and that will happen in the next 5 years.

Hardware is not required, simply a log of fundamental data... fingerprint, retina, DNA... things you can't change. It seems that Asian countries are quite enthusiastic about this. I went to Korea for work a couple of years ago, and was surprised to be finger scanned on the way in. Getting a business visa in Indonesia was a right work-up of scannings, but not at the creaky old airport desks; and then Thailand, this year, I was bit bemused. They're even scanning Thais, or is it just Thais with foreign passports? The response to this in the world of outlaws is to use other identities and less modern points of entry. I wonder where it's all heading.

Facial recognition eh?

This is going to really put a stop to Thailand trying to be the hub bub of medical tourism.

Facial surgery already caused major problems for Koreans returning from Thailand after face lifts, Botox and filler treatments.

Also people with eye lens replacements are going to be caught out as these scanners cant recognise the lens implants, it blurs the retina scan.

So plastic surgeons better start a new line of plastic surgery, on beach plastic sculpturing instead, 555.

12 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

When there's so information coming from the Thai authorites that is pure BS it's no wonder that we "bash" Thailand. The TAT are a case in point.

On this occasion the figures DO add up IMHO.

No it doesn't biometrics are at the borders and airport, if you enter thailand you can't be on overstay and if you leave thailand they check the date in your passport stamp since forever and charge you for overstays.

Where the heck does biometrics even come into play here catching overstayers?

21 minutes ago, Almer said:

Not at all there are many  Thai people / family out of work, they often come to my house asking for money because they have no job, cigarettes yes drink yes car yes motorbike yes, but no money because cant find a job.

And yet when I advertise no Thais want to do the work I  offer, on the land and this  is repeated  by other  people I know also  looking for workers on the land mostly  all Thai land owners as the Thais are too lazy to do it, most want the  money but really don't want any work at all.

I've  heard all this before I've even  sent messages to the people saying this on this  forum who said theyll ask in the  village as "many there"  looking for work, not one response, then finally  had one guy send me his "hard  workers" as he was  leaving Thailand  and he wanted to find them a new  job, they were useless could hardly  walk up the  hill and we let them go after  1  month.

Had one  guy watch us  cutting some brush back and Wife  said do you want a job, he said he needed  money but  had  now saw, ok  we'll buy you one right now so you could do this............never  saw  him again.

Before anyone chips in, its  not about the money,  minimums  round here are 500 a  day.

7 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

No it doesn't biometrics are at the borders and airport, if you enter thailand you can't be on overstay and if you leave thailand they check the date in your passport stamp since forever and charge you for overstays.

Where the heck does biometrics even come into play here catching overstayers?

I said the figures do add up, I'm not saying the 45000 were caught via biometrics.

The majority of overstayers are caught when leaving. Who's to say that there aren't 45,000 overstayers every month pre-bio.

1 hour ago, PattayaGuy2019 said:

People on this site are always bashing Thailand, yes it's not perfect by far but it has some good points. You talk as if it's the worst country in the world lol I don't understand this constant flaming of Thailand or anything it does. I think this scanner is a good thing so stop bad mouthing it. It helps keep the doggy people out and that is a good thing. But you people constantly ridicule and make fun of Thailand, sure it's funny to start with but please change the the record everything you say is a so negative. I would judge from some of the ridiculous comments posted, people making the posts don't even live in Thailand, you just use this site to sound off your bigoted ignorant views that are so toxic. YOU ARE NOT FUNNY GET A LIFE

Well, see, there are two Thailand's. (1) The fabulous people, wonderful scenery, great villages, fun parties, and on and on. And then there are (2) the lying idiots who run the place. I can certainly love one and hate the other.

2 hours ago, PattayaGuy2019 said:

Stick around, you'll get it, eventually!

2 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

The only thing I see in the making Thailand look good is the now fully automated vinyl board assembly line the general pontificates over daily????

Would it surprise you to know that the RTP has it's own state run printing organisation. It's called the Police Printing Bureau.  They probably make these huge heavy duty environment polluting vinyl banners along with all the other official and unofficial money making stationary they need for government and hop pocket revenue.

Another interesting one is the Playing Cards Factory under the control of the Excise Department. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_state_enterprises_of_Thailand

Archived