No place to hide: Immigration’s new biometric system nabs 45,000 overstaying foreigners in Thailand

webfact

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, geronimo said:

Not very long ... I believe that in developed countries, children will be chipped at birth and that will happen in the next 5 years.

I believe if it's an "up to you" king of sell, then why not, someone with health problems could download their history and be scanned anywhere in a hospital in the world if an issue arose, and the list goes on, but as for governments making it compulsory, all and good as long as its after when I'm dead and gone.

Get these BS artists to explain this from Wikipedia.

What are examples of biometrics?
Examples include, but are not limited to fingerprint, palm veins, face recognition, DNA, palm print, hand geometry, iris recognition, retina and odour/scent. Behavioral characteristics are related to the pattern of behavior of a person, including but not limited to typing rhythm, gait, and voice.

Cant see anything about biometric system nabs 45,000 overstaying foreigners in Thailand

Have they bought another bomb scammer device, this time it scans overstaying foreigners LOL.

4 hours ago, petedk said:

On Sept 11th 5 were arrested

Sept 12th 3 arrested

Sept 13 1 arrest

Long long way to the 45,000 arrests.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

nabs 45,000 overstaying foreigners in Thailand

INDEED! I was wondering where this mystical 45000 came into the equation

3 hours ago, PattayaGuy2019 said:

People on this site are always bashing Thailand, yes it's not perfect by far but it has some good points. You talk as if it's the worst country in the world lol I don't understand this constant flaming of Thailand or anything it does. I think this scanner is a good thing so stop bad mouthing it. It helps keep the doggy people out and that is a good thing. But you people constantly ridicule and make fun of Thailand, sure it's funny to start with but please change the the record everything you say is a so negative. I would judge from some of the ridiculous comments posted, people making the posts don't even live in Thailand, you just use this site to sound off your bigoted ignorant views that are so toxic. YOU ARE NOT FUNNY GET A LIFE

Calm down, calm down, life's too short. The way you're sounding off it's likely to be even shorter.

I have an instinctive dislike of people who use 'Big' as a prefix in their names. That aside, I have been looking for the 45,000 'nabbed'.

Nab means arrest, apprehend or capture. Have 45,000 people been arrested, apprehended or captured? Why talk about 8 people arrested over 3 days when you have 45,000 to go for? Why not a photo-op picture with the whole 45,000 people arrested?

Sickening PR to justify a stupid system. To get people through the queues in Suvarnabhumi they need to reduce the transaction time at the window, not extend it.

5 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

So do away with the damn TM 30 and use  biometrics if it so good.  

if the TM30 system was fit for purpose how come there are so many overstaying foreigners i the country - it should have been easy to round them up without the 2 billion baht spend on a new system...

5 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Seems like most of the recent "successes" have been people LEAVING Thailand.

All eight of them. And now what? Keep them? Deport them? Bad guys in, bad guys stay.

Didn't seem to prevent them from entering Thailand, with a real or fake passport, spending time here, procuring fake passports locally.

The cynic in me assumes the local document producer, or thief, then rats out the client, making a bit of dosh on both ends? 

The passports were  purchased in Turkey and were to be used to travel to the UK.

I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that they were procured locally from

the OP

I'm not saying there isn't a fake passport facility in Thailand, but most of the foreign 

cases stated were traveling on fake documents and were caught in transit, possibly 

using the biometric system at the airport.

5 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Of the arrests cited in the OP article, at least several of them specifically say the fake passports were purchased abroad (outside Thailand). And in the other couple cases, the article doesn't clearly say where.

Never clear...  seems the news here is made to be vaugue in compliance with a permit to report.....  as I cant see real jurnos acting like this

6 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

So do away with the damn TM 30 and use  biometrics if it so good.  

Seems Thai immigration doesn't do much really, the system is all over the world, but of course The Jimi from the Immi and Police love the Tv cameras and photo call telling the world how good they are

He said that the new system was of an international standard and had brought Thailand recognition from authorities around the world as a place with international standards. 

Nothing quite like blowing your own trumpet....

But then again. TIT.

So pay someone to blow your trumpet for you. 

And, maybe a massage at the same time...

5 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

tell that to the 300 people queueing up at the airport

This might have more to do with too many A380's & 747's all landing at the same time of day - same issue with IAH, Houston around 4pm.

I would of though some routes - especially direct from the USA, Australia, EU & UK - could be considered for passing through Thai immigration checks at major airports of departure.

Archived