What is this stuff good for ?

My sister in law has dozens of old coke bottles full of some red liquid, on asking the missus she said that it's the same as EM. She later found what looks like it on Lazada, where the English says it's a "photosynthesis concentrator" 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/15-40-i406886154-s789778037.html?

So just what does it do ?

whatisit.JPG

I don't know specifically what this solution is or how it is different from other EM products like the original EM-1, but this is the principle:

"Biostimulants, including plant-growth promoting microorganisms, have been shown to increase
plant nutrient uptake, growth, and yield via dierent underlying mechanisms such as changes in
soil structure, nutrient solubility, root growth and morphology, plant physiology, and symbiotic
relationships. In addition, they can improve the plant tolerance to abiotic stresses, as well as the
resistance to pathogens [2,3]. EM (eective microorganisms) is an environmentally friendly technology
consisting of a fermented mixed culture of coexisting and mutually compatible microorganisms in an
acidic medium. This biofertilizer contains up to 80 dierent species belonging to five main groups of
microorganisms, including photosynthetic bacteria..."

EM photosynthesis.pdf

Learning to use EM as a component of a comprehensive intelligent plant management program can be a phenomenal benefit. 

But be careful with home brews from cultures that are passed down from friends and family. Like any microbial culture, EMs and compost teas can become contaminated with harmful microbes. 

I prefer to brew my own from a dependable known source in original containers, and to use clean containers and technique, without manures. 

In the US I use EM-1 from Teraganix.  https://www.teraganix.com/Activated-EM1-s/261.htm

In Thailand I use EM from Organic Totto. https://www.organictotto.com/ 

Thanks DrTL, I found another product on lazada which seems to be the same, but had more comprehensive info on the product (with help from google translate). Interesting stuff. I had heard of EM before, but have never used it, did n't know if this stuff was the same or not. Is there any significant differences between the various brands of EM type products ?

11 hours ago, faraday said:

My wife has been using some of this on the garden, I'd never heard of it before, so thanks for explaining it Dr T.

She said it can also be used to clean the drains around the house. Do you know about this?

Yes, it's excellent for drain cleaner, pond cleaner, odor control in livestock pens and manure piles, accelerating compost piles. In another thread I told about my experience with a small guppy fish pond that had algae build up  I put a liter of Organic Totto's EM in the pond and ran the recirculating pump overnight.  Within a day or two the algae was completely gone, it looked as if someone had scrubbed the sides and bottom. And the fish appeared happy and energized, and I started to see more pregnant guppies. 

After that I started making EM with Organic Totto product, buying a liter, and then a liter of molasses at Home Pro. Then mix it in a 20 liter jug with a screw off top and a spout at the bottom, and agitate the solution by shaking a couple of times a day, brewing a 20 liter batch at a time to extend my supply.  I put EM in the concrete rings water tank that I have my sprinklers drawing from, "fertigating" with EM once a month. I give some to Thai neighbors; they know what it is and how to use it and seem to appreciate that they don't have to buy it. 

Mike I'm sure there are differences, but I don't know which is which. There is an original Japanese microbial recipe that is attributed to Dr Teruo Higa, and his R & D in the 1960s.  I believe there have been many variations developed, and it's really a big grassroots tradition in Thailand.  Organic Totto also has derived their product from Dr Higa's original, and the owners have been to study and training sessions in Japan. I see various brands on Lazada and on the shelf at Home Pro, Global House and local garden shops. 

One big difference in microbial inoculants is with compost tea.  In the US we hardly hear about EM, but "actively aerated compost tea is hugely popular". It's a different set of microbes being cultured, and is more fragile than EM. But an excellent garden input if you do it right. 

Other microbial inoculants come under the category of biological fungicides-bactericides. They tend to be an individual specific strain of a bacteria or fungi that is effective for suppressing soil borne or foliar pathogens. 

Microbial Inoculants: EM-1

EM•1® Microbial Inoculant is the original and authentic Effective Microorganisms® that was originally formulated by Dr. Teruo Higa in the mid-1960's.
EM•1® is an all-natural probiotic for plants and soils.
It is made without any GMO ingredients and is USDA certified organic.

Here's the pinned subject, one of the earliest discussions started in the organic subforum: 

There are references to using animal products like pig manure, but I recommend caution on how you make and use this type of culture.  Think E. coli and other potential pathogens, and avoid using on leafy greens or in other ways that could be ingested. 

Escherichia coli (E. coli) bacteria normally live in the intestines of healthy people and animals. Most varieties of E. coli are harmless or cause relatively brief diarrhea. But a few particularly nasty strains, such as E. coli O157:H7, can cause severe abdominal cramps, bloody diarrhea and vomiting.

There have been a number of topics on EM in both the main farming section as well as here. For those of your that are interested in using it the attached is a APNAN manual. Written in simple english it is a comprehensive study without too much scientific mumbo jumbo.

Also have a look at Korean Natural Farming which promotes using IMO (Indigenous Micro Organisms). Where you collect the microbes using a box of cooked rice and multiple them out. You get different combinations depending on where you collect from, ie, forest, bamboo patch. 

Whatever source or technique you use the common thread is they all contain LAB lactic acid bacteria. This you can produce using the wash water from rice then mixed the result with milk. Finally adding molasses to stabilise (make inert) the bacteria. 

APNAN Manual.pdf

• 4 weeks later...

Red or purplish photosynthetic bacteria is one of the component parts of EM. I am told its primary purpose is to convert nitrogen compounds into plant available types, like animo acids or proteins. You can make it on farm very easily. Attached is a video of the process.

Archived