Tourism ministry: World economy to blame for Thailand's tourism woes

webfact

28 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Several countries have devalued their currencies,and it won't be the first

time that Thailand has done just that.

regards Worgeordie

Give use your idea on how they can reduce it as its an international value If there were no tourists, no one investing ,Bonds rate poor then the exchange rate will drop, is that what you want.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/20/2019 at 10:14 AM, madmitch said:

But I thought arrivals were up!!!

Sounds like it's a different type of tourist they have encouraged,and not  performing as expected, they did the 'quick turnaround' thing years ago with the Japanese,that was more successful, until the majority of Japanese found better places.

3 minutes ago, Percy P said:

Give use your idea on how they can reduce it as its an international value

Thailand could devalue the THB,if they wanted to,but it seems

they don't want to,maybe when things get worse,with Exports,

Tourists,they will.

regards worgeordie

3 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Thailand could devalue the THB,if they wanted to,but it seems

they don't want to,maybe when things get worse,with Exports,

Tourists,they will.

regards worgeordie

No they can't just devalue at will that would be fudging the issue and attracting tourists away from other countries . 

1 minute ago, Percy P said:

No they can't just devalue at will that would be fudging the issue and attracting tourists away from other countries . 

They can do what the want,don't you understand that,and the last

part of your post could be one reason to do it.

regards worgeordie

People need to understand Thai Govt etc dont look what Baht i worth against Pound Aud dollar

Euro there concern is the Dollar currently around 30.5  they would like it around 33 as they export in dollars rice etc.

If the pound rose to 1.40 against dollar the pound would be worth approx  42 bhat not long ago

1.60. Just look how Aud  dollar has performed against dollar last few years 

12 hours ago, Number 6 said:

I don't think the numbers fake but rather based on airline arrivals which is more accessible public data and not who clears immigration.

It's immigration entries for certain entry classes, the raw data is here: https://immigration.go.th/immigration_stats

But not every entry means they stay in Thailand, could be just a hop that needs check-in at another airline or a short overnight to catch morning flight. Immigration has not released data on the length of stay. They do have that info, but it's not used in any way, TAT is 1-to-1 with those immigration entries for classes that can be deemed "tourist". There's a thread here on TVF where I verified some of it.

What a b...s... everybody knows that many other countries have growing numbers of tourists.

But if I treat my guess same a scam and cheat and rip off them, and on the top I believe they do not recognize it, that I should not wonder if they change their destination.

Thailand deserves it to get a lesson of life. I hope it hits the economy hard to wake them up.

11 hours ago, DrTuner said:

It's immigration entries for certain entry classes, the raw data is here: https://immigration.go.th/immigration_stats

But not every entry means they stay in Thailand, could be just a hop that needs check-in at another airline or a short overnight to catch morning flight. Immigration has not released data on the length of stay. They do have that info, but it's not used in any way, TAT is 1-to-1 with those immigration entries for classes that can be deemed "tourist". There's a thread here on TVF where I verified some of it.

Yes, you know I'm not traveling much as a tourist any more regionally. I'd completely forgotten what must amount to millions of people connecting from BKK to DMK or on Air Asia, etc maybe connecting at DMK or Phuket now as well. Given the popularity of the region becoming mainstream destination this is very possible.

To add to this about 1-2 years back we were traveling to Raja Ampat. It's expensive so we looked at many routes including using KUL and SIN. BKK is still a leader in low cost flights. I could very much see tourists flying in, staying a day or two and moving on.

It will be some time before Lao, Cambodia and Myanmar can accept 747, 777 planes as well but it's all in the works.

On 9/20/2019 at 7:03 PM, emptypockets said:

Have you actually been to both Burma and Myanmar? 

Jeez Louise!!

Yes, I've been to both countries, namely Burma prior to the change of name back to Myanmar. And honestly, I preferred Burma with its capital Rangoon over Myanmar with its capital Yangon. But that's me; my first trip to Burma dates back to 1977; my last trip (to Myanmar, that is) was three weeks ago. 

An absolutely lovely country and if I would be 20 years younger I would be found there now! 

What a b...s... everybody knows that many other countries have growing numbers of tourists.

But if I treat my guess same a scam and cheat and rip off them, and on the top I believe they do not recognize it, that I should not wonder if they change their destination.

Thailand deserves it to get a lesson of life. I hope it hits the economy hard to wake them up.

Archived