Tourism ministry: World economy to blame for Thailand's tourism woes

webfact

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, londonthai said:

it's governments nationalistic, xenophobic attitude and policies, which drive off expats and, equally, long term tourists.

the present growing statistics for arrivals are for chinese, indian, malaysian, who are coming for just few days of shopping. They might be coming several times per year and might be buying goods, but don't go to resorts, spas, tourist places  

I also wonder about the makeup of the so-called Japanese "Tourists."

I wonder how many of them are here to supervise assembly of cars trucks and electronics. Not to mention lobbying  for railway contracts. It is widely believed that the government record of arrival numbers does not actually equate to money paying tourist numbers.  For example, is even my wife popping home to visit her family logged as a tourist?

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The army has probably run the country longer than any democratically elected government since the absolute monarchy was overthrown in 1932. The country did all right till Thaksin ruined it, IMO.

Absolutely agree with you.

The world economy is a factor without a doubt but in the end people Will go on holiday and they will be 2 week millionaires wherever they get the best experience and value for money. Wealthy tourists travel regardless so it's not them that travel less. It's the middle class etc. 

Thailand is simply not a novelty anymore.  Additionally the only hotels being built cater to the high end of the market so naturally they will stay empty because the middle class and business men don't travel as much. 

But that resolute failure to accept the obvious that thais possess has kept real estate values from falling as far as they do in "let's take the blame and see the real situation and lower the price" western world. 

15 hours ago, PhilippBKK said:

This a graph for Thailand's Tourism Arrivals!

Even if less than 38M tourists will come in 2019 it is still the second highest figure ever.

Thailand Tourism is not in trouble at all, but we probably will not see +5% annual increases and maybe even a little reduction, who knows.

A bit of oversupply here and there, especially for some who wanted to cash in on the Chinese Tour Group segment maybe.

How is this 15 year period a failure and how is there doom and gloom?

Where do you guys get your information from?

The decline of the Western tourist? Less girlie bars? Can't drink at 3pm?

Who cares?

Whingers......

Tourist Arrivals to Thailand from 2003 till 2018

Who supplies these figures ? Are they ever audited by a reputable independant body ?

36 minutes ago, johnsmith8888 said:

The world economy is a factor without a doubt but in the end people Will go on holiday and they will be 2 week millionaires wherever they get the best experience and value for money. Wealthy tourists travel regardless so it's not them that travel less. It's the middle class etc. 

Thailand is simply not a novelty anymore. 

Agreed. Thailand seems to have become just another option. For Europeans and North Americans there are plenty of perfectly good spots to vacation closer to home in Europe and North America which offer more bang for your Buck / Euro / GBPeso. 

Somewhere along the line, the Thai authorities seem to have forgotten that Thailand is not the only game in town.

13 hours ago, overherebc said:

We had dinner in a restaurant and ordered a bottle of wine, real wine, not adullterated cheap <deleted> with 15% fruit juice added. Not that expensive, 520 baht equivalent. Finished that with the meal and at the end of the meal, which was really good, decided to have another bottle of the same, the room was only a short stagger ????.

The manageress came to the table and said  we are out of that wine but the next on the menu is 850 baht equivalent  but it's our fault we don't have what you want so we will just charge the same 520 baht.

Saigon by the way.

Reminds me of Beijing a few years ago. I wanted to get to the DPRK Embassy but the taxi took me to the wrong place entirely. Not his fault - he couldn't speak any English and I can't speak any Mandarin. 

We eventually found someone who could speak some English who told the driver where I wanted to go. On arrival, the meter was at 120 Yuan. He switched it off and held up four fingers. 40 Yuan. I wonder what would have happened had I been an obvious newbie in Bangkok...

13 hours ago, overherebc said:

We had dinner in a restaurant and ordered a bottle of wine, real wine, not adullterated cheap <deleted> with 15% fruit juice added. Not that expensive, 520 baht equivalent. Finished that with the meal and at the end of the meal, which was really good, decided to have another bottle of the same, the room was only a short stagger ????.

The manageress came to the table and said  we are out of that wine but the next on the menu is 850 baht equivalent  but it's our fault we don't have what you want so we will just charge the same 520 baht.

Saigon by the way.

In most parts of the world that is known not only as service, but also as vision. These people are spending money, and I would love to see them come back again. Let me forsake a small profit right now, to ensure future patronage. It is a more Western concept, and virtually unknown here. 

On 9/20/2019 at 10:11 AM, seajae said:

again we see the face saving garbage being rolled out instead of admitting the truth that it is Thailands fault and no one elses, what else can we expect from this moron

well said - any sign of these geniuses to do something about their expensive currency, likely not!

1 hour ago, baboon said:

Reminds me of Beijing a few years ago. I wanted to get to the DPRK Embassy but the taxi took me to the wrong place entirely. Not his fault - he couldn't speak any English and I can't speak any Mandarin. 

We eventually found someone who could speak some English who told the driver where I wanted to go. On arrival, the meter was at 120 Yuan. He switched it off and held up four fingers. 40 Yuan. I wonder what would have happened had I been an obvious newbie in Bangkok...

The same: four fingers, meaning 4,000 baht...

I recently went to a local mini mart. Bought six bottle of soda water. The old guy told me I had to pay 5 baht deposit, per bottle. I said ok. Went back with my bottles later, and wanted to buy some more. He quoted me a price that did not take into account my 30 baht deposit. I said I get the deposit back, and then pay you for the water, right? He said no, the deposit is one way! I would have been upset, if I was not laughing so hard. I said no, farang is one way, that way, and never come back. I took my bottles and left. It was well worth it. Have been telling that story to my friends for weeks. We all love it!

I have had hundreds of these kinds of encounters here in LOS. Always amazed by them. There is a complete disregard for the future, for future patronage, for the idea of loyalty, and rewarding you for such. It has happened with merchants I had been dealing with for years. Over tiny amounts of money. Of course, they lose me for life. But, they do not seem to care one iota.

I am a business owner. I will do nearly anything to retain a loyal customer. Whatever it takes. A full refund, an exchange, just tell me what you want. Here? None of that. Tomorrow? Why think about tomorrow, when I can make an extra 30 baht today?

The tale of the One Way store. Great stuff. You could not make this stuff up, if you tried!

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

In most parts of the world that is known not only as service, but also as vision. These people are spending money, and I would love to see them come back again. Let me forsake a small profit right now, to ensure future patronage. It is a more Western concept, and virtually unknown here. 

Already booked for a long weekend.

On 9/20/2019 at 10:38 AM, worgeordie said:

It's always somebody or somethings fault,never Thailand,

do they not see its the strong THB, compared to other

countries in the area.......that's the main thing,but there

are others.

regards Worgeordie

But how do you reduce it. Thailand can not just reduce it .The success of Thailand determines the Baht rate and tourists are to blame for coming here and your one of them. All foreign currencies are in poor shape  UK,EU,Aus,.US.Yen all down to what they were in 2008 . Look for youself.

On 9/20/2019 at 10:38 AM, worgeordie said:

It's always somebody or somethings fault,never Thailand,

do they not see its the strong THB, compared to other

countries in the area.......that's the main thing,but there

are others.

regards Worgeordie

Perhaps you can give details of other countries rates that are prosperous. 

On 9/20/2019 at 10:42 AM, Saint Nick said:

It's always someone else's fault!

It's not the dirt, the violence, the traffic- deaths, the xenophobia or racism, the misogyny, the pollution, the non-sensical laws for smoking and beach chairs, the corrupt police, the overall unfriendlyness of the immigration at the 30% occupied airport- counters....

It's us - the rest of the world...

No doubt your still in Thailand irrespective of the above.

16 minutes ago, Percy P said:

But how do you reduce it. Thailand can not just reduce it .The success of Thailand determines the Baht rate and tourists are to blame for coming here and your one of them. All foreign currencies are in poor shape  UK,EU,Aus,.US.Yen all down to what they were in 2008 . Look for youself.

Several countries have devalued their currencies,and it won't be the first

time that Thailand has done just that.

regards Worgeordie

corruption, corruption, corruption. The immigration problems, the tourism decline, the luxury goods and liquor tax, the antiquated liquor laws, the lack of an effective police force, the polluted beaches, the unsafe roads: It all goes back to who's receiving the kick backs and brown envelopes. But since "This is Thailand", it will never change. So, if you're here and foreign--grin and bear it and spend your local money frugality and go away to real holiday destinations like Singapore, Japan, etc. for real tourist experiences.

1 hour ago, Moo 2 said:

They don't get it do they! Blaming the world economy for their problems.

Thailand was a top place.....up to 5 years ago and then the militaries arrived.

The currency exchange rate is due to the success of Thailand's policies. And I'm sure tourists want that for the sake of the people of Thailand. Blame your own countries downfall for their poor exchange rate

9 minutes ago, bronzedude said:

corruption, corruption, corruption. The immigration problems, the tourism decline, the luxury goods and liquor tax, the antiquated liquor laws, the lack of an effective police force, the polluted beaches, the unsafe roads: It all goes back to who's receiving the kick backs and brown envelopes. But since "This is Thailand", it will never change. So, if you're here and foreign--grin and bear it and spend your local money frugality and go away to real holiday destinations like Singapore, Japan, etc. for real tourist experiences.

But your still here enjoying Thailand.

Archived