Tourism ministry: World economy to blame for Thailand's tourism woes

webfact

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

They blamed last year's electrical fires and also a blocked drainage pipe on squirrels. You can bet there's a subcommittee looking into how they frame them for the tourist numbers too. 

I am pretty sure the squirrels have been wrecking havoc with the TM30 app too... 

8 hours ago, webfact said:

A top official at the Thai Ministry for Tourism and Sports told a business meeting in Hua Hin that the world economy was to blame for Thailand's lack of tourists.

Keep saying it... you and the cronies who follow you around like puppets might believe it.
However those outside in the real world have a different take on it, the world economy is slowing yes

which makes pockets tighter for those talking a holiday.... Thailand is getting more expensive rather than competitive... which is why tourists are choosing to go elsewhere.!

1 hour ago, Sydebolle said:

Once these people learn to be responsible for what they do and say as well as admit that they made (a) mistake(s), intervene in utter nonsense ideas of the government with all these forms, TMs and other "see-who-is-the-boss-here" .......... then there is hope that they can get some new tourists. Those they've driven away will never come back. 

Look at Burma, Myanmar, Vietnam and Cambodia - by infrastructure much more behind Thailand but hotels doing fine at a profitable level and tourists feel truly welcome. Here the unfriendly grouch of an immigration officer is the first thing you see after you've been queueing for hours at the immigration counter. Next is Somchai with his taxi offerings which are expanded to massage with girls, boys, katoeys, life shows, change money, snake shows etc. etc. etc. All the while the passenger is grossly overcharged or given the big city tour just to get into a hotel. Rip offs at the Grand Palace, the bag- and gold chain snatching crew of third gender executives along Pattaya's beach road etc. etc. etc.

Grow up and open your eyes; it is not the "world's economy at fault" it is exclusively the fault of Khon Thai. The biggest enemy of Thailand is her own people ......... 

Have you actually been to both Burma and Myanmar? 

Jeez Louise!!

9 hours ago, jackdd said:

But a few days ago they just announced that the numbers are up, so what are they talking about?

It's not just how many arrive, it's how long they stay and how much they spend. Western tourists tend to average longer stays as opposed to, say, Chinese tour groups on a long weekend hit-and-run visit. The new rules discourage those wishing to stay longer and travel the country.

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

No, no, no, no, no. Thailand is to blame for Thailand's tourism woes. This was self inflicted. It is typical of these small people in the administration to deflect, and refuse to take responsibility for problems of their own creation. That is so inane, and weak on their part. The high baht is only part of the problem. Brexit and other factors is a small part of this catastrophe facing the nation here. 

As stated previously, these are just a few ways Thailand shot itself in the foot, when it comes to tourism. 

Thailand thought the country was something very special, and was he center of the known universe, and that nobody would ever say no, or find alternative places to visit. The fact is that there are countless other spots, many in this region, that offer better service, more expertise in food and beverage (especially wine service and selection at fair prices, which rich tourists demand), reasonable import duties to sustain a luxury goods market, better training, and far better english skills. Thailand simply lost sight of the big picture, and had very little vision, with regard to big spending tourists, who need to be catered to, instead of scorned.  

There are countless things the government could be doing, if they wanted to attract the high quality tourists. The very first thing would be to repeal the anti fareng wine bill, that was passed by a few very corrupt senators way back when, to protect an anemic and truly pathetic local wine industry. They are losing billions of dollars a year in revenue, that could be had from a 100% wine duty, instead of over 300%. The five star hotels would have major wine events, and the entire industry would flourish here. If you are a rich tourist, spending $600 a night at the Banyan Tree in Bangkok, it is difficult to even find someone to have an intelligent conversation with, about the intricacies, the best vintages, and the qualities of the wine you want to order, here in Thailand. The expertise in F & B is really lacking. 

Same applies to luxury tax. If it were reasonable, Thailand would be able to attract rich tourists from around the world, who want to spend $25,000 on luxury goods, while on vacation. Will they buy a Prada handbag here for $16,000, that costs $5,000 in Singapore, Hong Kong, Macau, London, New York, Paris, Rome, Milan, Monaco, Prague, Moscow, Istanbul, or Dubai? Of course not. What will they do? They will choose any one of those spots, and others for vacation, and Thailand will never even be discussed. 

Sorry to say, but the high spending tourists are lost for good. They WILL NOT come back to Thailand, for a dozen different reasons. 

I like to give a very small experience in my more than 20 years living here in Thailand.

In the begin I stay in Phuket, have seen many very expansive wine shops.

But in most of this shops the wine bottle stay upright, when I comment that, then they look at you a bit dazed.

It is not much different today.

But we all know, there are many examples like this.

5 hours ago, hansnl said:

Chinese tend to go to a

certain place only once, then it is off to the next spot of short interest. It might be only the western tourists that return several times or change into expats.

And it is just those that are effectively shying away because of many things that are not really welcoming.

Double pricing in state hospitals is the next thing that will help expats to decide to go elsewhere.

You're 100% right, Hans.

1 hour ago, emptypockets said:

Where have I read that before? 

It's good to repeat the facts ad nauseam. Eventually people get wiser and vote with their feet and then Thais finally wake up when their cashflow gets hit. Add social media pressure and you might even make them change something. Thais must be forced to do anything or they'll just go on their sabaisabai maibpenrai road.

The reality is that under the Juanta Thailand has become a <deleted> hole. It is not even amongst the best counties for expats to live in:

• HSBC Expat released its annual expat survey to find the best countries for expats to live based on economics, quality of life, and a slew of other factors.
  • The top countries include Singapore, New Zealand, Germany, Canada, and Bahrain.

3 hours ago, milesinnz said:

Meanwhile in Vietnam... International visitors to Viet Nam in August estimated 1,512,447 arrivals, increase 14.9% over last month and up 14.3% over the same period last year. Total international arrivals in 8 months reached 11,309,232 arrivals, increasing 8.7% over the same period last year.

We had dinner in a restaurant and ordered a bottle of wine, real wine, not adullterated cheap <deleted> with 15% fruit juice added. Not that expensive, 520 baht equivalent. Finished that with the meal and at the end of the meal, which was really good, decided to have another bottle of the same, the room was only a short stagger ????.

The manageress came to the table and said  we are out of that wine but the next on the menu is 850 baht equivalent  but it's our fault we don't have what you want so we will just charge the same 520 baht.

Saigon by the way.

4 hours ago, Isaan sailor said:

Take a bow, ChiComs and Bank of Thailand.  It took over two years of hot money inflows, but you persevered—despite dire warnings from tourists, expats and exporters.  Thailand officially now the most overpriced currency in all SE Asia!

Yeh, But if I'm hi-so and we go shopping in Singapore every couple of months,  do you think I care?

1 hour ago, Mac98 said:

It's not just how many arrive, it's how long they stay and how much they spend. Western tourists tend to average longer stays as opposed to, say, Chinese tour groups on a long weekend hit-and-run visit. The new rules discourage those wishing to stay longer and travel the country.

Thais' problem is that they don't really like foreigners. They don't want foreigners staying longer than two weeks in the country, so they like the Chinese who only come for short trips. On the other hand, they'd like tourists to spend in those two weeks as much as Western tourists used to spend during their six months in Thailand. One could argue that they 'want the cake AND eat it'... I wish Thailand good luck with this strategy.

6 hours ago, phungo said:
7 hours ago, Saint Nick said:
You know?
Pray tell!
Seriously!
I am here for 12 years now and I still have no actual clue, why this law exists!

what is the law you guys are referring to?

The law where you can’t buy alcohol during certain daytime hours ....that was started supposedly to help curb drinking by students? Or younger people, those are the hours kids get out of school or something??  I forgot what the hours are now exactly...I’m not a drinker.

21 minutes ago, amykat said:

The law where you can’t buy alcohol during certain daytime hours ....that was started supposedly to help curb drinking by students? Or younger people, those are the hours kids get out of school or something??  I forgot what the hours are now exactly...I’m not a drinker.

1pm to 5pm, I think.

6 hours ago, alex8912 said:

You are right but it’s for BOTH tourism and business. I’m with 2 dozen + Thais right now in Italy many of them are hotel owners and have tourist boats etc in Thailand. The ones that have business hotels say that the govt is just tooo slow and business is going especially to Vietnam but Cambodia as well. They say the Japanese want things to move much quicker and they simply wait a little ( they are patient to a point) and go elsewhere. She says her business hotels are suffering near industrial areas. The ones in tourist areas are just saying business is pathetic. Everything here ( in Thailand ) goes at a snails pace and in fact no one is WAITING for Thailand anymore!  The snails will wait at least another year or two or three and of course it’s too late. It’s quite sad. 

Your Thai friends with you in Italy need to get together with others including  Farang buisness men and explain the problems to Pryut rather than let ThaiTourism give the leaders a bunch of BS

No sir 

Please Blame the Thailand attitude with bad customer service lack of respect for foreigners and no liberty and justice for foreigners and no safety form the law and justice lack of EN. languish Difficulty of Visa for retired people 

corporate corruption is liken a disease that gov. could not find the cure for it and maid the economical disaster ?

Not even worth commenting what this gentlemen says. It is the usual BS. Tourist numbers down ? Blame the world economy. Of course this must be the reason. Because it can't be the Thais why the tourists shun Thailand. Simply impossible, Thais do not make any mistakes. They are the chosen people.

16 hours ago, Saint Nick said:

It's always someone else's fault!

It's not the dirt, the violence, the traffic- deaths, the xenophobia or racism, the misogyny, the pollution, the non-sensical laws for smoking and beach chairs, the corrupt police, the overall unfriendlyness of the immigration at the 30% occupied airport- counters....

It's us - the rest of the world...

It's the overage, overweight hookers overcharging.  And the exchange rates and beer prices don't help. Stick rice is apparently in short supply and the flooding in Isaan will surely kill off a lot of papaya plants as they don't tolerate wet feet. Oh Noes!

I don't think the numbers fake but rather based on airline arrivals which is more accessible public data and not who clears immigration.

In the US as it is more often terminus this would be somewhat accurate. As Thailand is a hub AND for all aforementioned reasons people are not coming / staying / touring / holidaying here and moving on - these numbers are very inaccurate.

The reason nothing done is large hotels aside tourism is usually owned and operated by poor people. Govt official wealthy. If this is not your personal income stream it doesn't directly impact you. You don't care. By now it's damaging enough hotels and larger tour companies are complaining but nothing will change.

Only economics forced upon Thailand will change the THB. SomeONE at *a very high level* wants the baht strong. That is a personal decision.

The situation very easily fixed - print money, spend it on building out Bangkok rail system. Phuket, CM. Bring in Western countries and or Singapore, fix Education system.

18 hours ago, webfact said:

Instead Panya ended on a positive note saying that Hua Hin should be ready for high season.

Hua Hin, IMO, is an great example of everything bad about Thai tourism- town ruined by allowing a monstrous hotel to be built right in the best area destroying the view for everyone else, terrible roads in the town that are dangerous to walk on, illegal encroachment on the beach below high tide, rip off transport, dirty, badly planned ( I know planning and Thailand don't belong in the same sentence- sigh ), horse poo on the beach ( what there is of it ).

HH was quite nice in the 90s, but awful now.

The tourism ministry would do better sorting out the myriad scams that assail tourists than blaming the world economy.

Western tourists don't go anymore, IMO, because it's worse than it was in the 90s, and the only reason it was great in the 90s was because they hadn't ruined the beaches.

NB most tourists arrive on visa exempt and stay less than 1 month, so the immigration furore is NOT deterring them.

2 hours ago, daveAustin said:

The army is to blame. You cannot have military minded folk running a country. Having said that, UK could do with some decisiveness!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

The army has probably run the country longer than any democratically elected government since the absolute monarchy was overthrown in 1932. The country did all right till Thaksin ruined it, IMO.

Archived