Farang is NOT impolite word.

Yinn

18 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

When visiting the bridge over the River Kwai I took a tour of the museum there. It was stated, in Thai and English, that 10 times as many Thais died in the construction of the Burma Railroad as all the allied troops combined. I don't know how true that is but that is what Thais are taught.

Between 180,000 and 250,000 Southeast Asian civilian labourers (rōmusha) and about 61,000 Allied prisoners of war were subjected to forced labour during its construction. About 90,000 civilian labourers and more than 12,000 Allied prisoners died.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burma_Railway

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, mngmn said:

This constant stereotyping is precisely why I object to the word 'Farang'

well dude if my food was nuclear and/or filled with rotten stench chunky liquids I would stereotype too.

Go to a Japanese store and ask for Natto. Or try to buy balut.

Well, well, well, seems this thread has unearthed a few members who have not heard or fail to understand the phrase "cutting a bit of slack"

Or "don't shoot the messenger"

Reading this thread has brought me to the conclusion that on occasion some Thai may well be using the word Farang as a derogatory term. However more so that the attitude and type of thinking from those who insist they are on the receiving end suggests they may well deserve it!!!!

Edited by 473geo
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, CharlieH said:

I may be wrong and happy to be corrected but it's been my impression that before the internet and social media arrived many (most rural areas ?) Thais had little knowledge of anything outside of their village/province and didn't really care either, newspapers were few and far between and all they really had was gossip and what the Pu Yai baan told them.

All this wasn't that long ago either.25 yrs (ish)

Allot of the those villages still dont have internet.  There are newspapers in the small villages all over Thailand so they get news, but typically you are buying a paper that was issued 2-3 days ago. Still had TV back then.

it depends if you speak Thai or not, or want to enter a 10 times upgraded entry fee in a national park, STATE hospitals sky rocketing bills, or a passerby.....if one lives here by law provided permission, i regard farang as impolite.

1 hour ago, 473geo said:

I'm thinking Farang is an ultra polite description, for the supercilious posters, who inflict their views on threads such as this

Well what do you think this should be, a blog by Yinn and Danny?  They don’t appear to be arrogant to you .... Gosh Danny’s Dad is even an expert in American film and WW2.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/20/2019 at 10:21 AM, Berkshire said:

Boy, what a bunch of snowflakes on this forum.  Farang is a Thai word, not an English word.  The Thais say it's not offensive, so it's not.  It'd be like if a Chinese guy goes to the USA and is offended by the use of the word Asian.  I would tell him that it's not offensive.  If he still insists, I'll tell him to go pack sand. 

I did not say I am offended. You are wrongly presuming that due to your inability to separate a valid explanation, which I now understand is beyond your abilty to grasp. You have no background in cross cultural communication,  semiotics or linguistics so you are not equipped to understand that I gave a sociocultural linguistic analysis of why it is potentially racist...

certainly lazy and ignorant. FYI Europeans in Afghanistan are referred to as 'Feranghi'.  Its a common word originating in the romance tongue...ie latin based languages which include French...certainly not Thai. Next you will be telling me condo and condominium are Thai words. The term farang is dismissive and thoughtless.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

I did not say I am offended. You are wrongly presuming that due to your inability to separate a valid explanation, which I now understand is beyond your abilty to grasp. You have no background in cross cultural communication,  semiotics or linguistics so you are not equipped to understand that I gave a sociocultural linguistic analysis of why it is potentially racist...

certainly lazy and ignorant. FYI Europeans in Afghanistan are referred to as 'Feranghi'.  Its a common word originating in the romance tongue...ie latin based languages which include French...certainly not Thai. Next you will be telling me condo and condominium are Thai words. The term farang is dismissive and thoughtless.

Yea, what he said.

:laugh:

"Potentially racist"????

So it might be, or might not, so we have to err on the side of offence.

????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Yinn said:

ok, you want to change Thai language. What thai word would you like us to call Caucasians??

For myself personally I have no problem with "words"

After a few years all the Thai's I knew call me Kuhn+my name

But if a Thai who really wanted to know a simple answer to the question you ask was asking me?

I would say same as what you call Thai people,

Meaning call elder Foreigners Pee & call younger ones Nong

Until you know their name then call them Pee+name or Nong+name or Kuhn+name same as you usually address respectfully

all Thai's you know & even those you do not.

Edited by meechai

3 hours ago, pookondee said:

dont know $hit but trying to tell a Thai what a Thai word means

amazing farangs..

lol

You can study Thai to Bachelor degree level overseas. Are you saying that all Thais know more than someone with a degree in Thai just because that are Thai?

This is the 'girlfriend' way to win an argument. Add in 'my girlfriend is Thai and she says blah blah blah so it must be true'.

Edited by mngmn

3 hours ago, pookondee said:

of course!

because if you werent here, then there would be noone to call farang..

and then noone would need be offended

lol

seriously though..a poster commented that "gringo" was not offensive.

because maybe that might be his language and culture and he knows its not offensive..

yet still many others will argue that the word

"gringo" is very derogatory!

Same thing with Yinn..

It is her culture and her language 

and she is telling you its not offensive..

but yet theres 30 pages of FARANGS arguing the point, who think they know better!!

lol

dont know $hit but trying to tell a Thai what a Thai word means

amazing farangs..

lol

About gringo.

You grossly mischaracterized what I wrote about it before.

I think the use of gringo in Latin America is a very close approximation to the use of farang in Thailand.

In Mexico, gringo is DEFINITELY a derogatory term. No doubt.

In Ecuador and Colombia it is not a derogatory term and so it's like farang if you actually believe that farang is not a derogatory term in Thailand.

My opinion is that in reality, in actual USAGE, farang is in the middle. Sometimes derogatory and sometimes not. So it's not surprising that many people are polarized on this question. Some arguing it's never derogatory and others arguing it's always derogatory by definition.

No, it is not that black and white.

(To complicate this further, some of the people that fit the gringo definition in Colombia and Ecuador KNOWING that it is derogatory in Mexico which is a very large country, perceive gringo as derogatory everywhere. It's possible that over time gringo could develop into a derogatory term in Colombia and Ecuador based on negative feelings towards the gringos, but I think it's impossible for gringo in Mexico to develop into a neutral word.)

Edited by Jingthing

To follow up on my other post. that's what I think happened in Thailand. The general meaning of Farang CHANGED over a long time from a truly neutral word moving towards a derogatory term. I think it's in the middle now and probably will continue to progress in the direction of derogatory. Why? Over exposure to the people being called farang, cultural and political xenophobia, etc. It's always good to have scapegoats that are OTHERS. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Yinn said:

ok, you want to change Thai language. What thai word would you like us to call Caucasians?? You never say. Just say you not like “farang” word.

When we start use the new word you give to the thai people, will you think that word racism? Complain about new word?

Remember, we not know what country you from, because you look the same, Aussie, USA and English etc. You not know yourself.

if you tell me the new word, I will use it. Make you happy ok.

call us pee and nong as you would anyone else you interact with when you don't know their name. look past the race to the human being. why the incessant need to identify and group people together ? 

after all we all look the same no ? tidbits of this posters ignorance come out all the time on here.