Firewood

SidJames

Very hard to find. I have a smoker as well and ended up buying chunks from second floor Friendship for an insane price, 690 baht for a small bag. I mixed with coconut charcoal brickets to save money, one 8h session used about half of a bag of presoaked chunks. Only place I found chunks in, apparently you need an import license to get Hickory, Mesquite, etc. Lamyai and coconut shell are the usual locals, I source from Isaan from MILs village.

You might want to ask f.ex. Grottino on Naklua Soi 33 where they get their wood for their pizza oven. I can see they keep it just next to the oven outside and I think I once saw a pickup truck deliver it. Please do tell if you find out.

Wood is not very easy around here, no forests nearby.

Edited by DrTuner

Lots of firewood up in Chiang Rai, dirt cheap. Lychee wood is great for smoking. But you got to go where the lychee plantations are. Then you will see it stacked up and for sale. The road between Mae Chan and Tha ton has one area that has tons of it. Sorry I can't be more specific. Long way to go for most people I realize.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sillyfool said:

i see many places with old paellets. maybe you could use some soft wood ? 

Careful with those, they might be treated and/or contaminated. I vaguely remember some one in TVF in one of the earlier threads found a big company that makes pallets and imports the wood, before it's treated. I don't remember if there ever was a followup.

Another source I've heard rumors of are the fruit farms in Chantanaburi, they should have lamyai at least. I don't have any contacts, would be willing to buy a ton or even more if found a supplier.