Teenager Thunberg angrily tells U.N. climate summit 'you have stolen my dreams'

webfact

11 minutes ago, Forethat said:

Yes it does. Professor Carl Wunsch is another MIT Professor who has a completely different view. To make it short, his view is that the high levels of CO2 are caused by an increase in temperature. Not the other way around.

Given that Professor Carl Wunsch has frequently protested that his views have been taken out of context you might provide a link to that claim.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Given that Professor Carl Wunsch has frequently protested that his views have been taken out of context you might provide a link to that claim.

But his view is that the increasing levels of CO2 are caused by an increase in temperature? Not the other way around. Am I incorrect?

Edited by Forethat

1 minute ago, Odysseus123 said:

True dat..

Something like this..?

DSCN0558.JPG

DSCN0461.JPG

Yeah, but we know that there are cities, factories, millions of people who go to work etc.

My local 7/11 has (finally) banned the plastic bags, but i would really like to see no plastic at all.

It will take some time.

34 minutes ago, samran said:

You guys like to bang on about MSM and fake news,  but are pretty rat-$h!t at checking facts. 

So who are some of these prominent ‘scientists’?

- VISCOUNT MONCKTON OF BRENCHLEY / UNITED KINGDOM: A conservative UK politician.

- Viv Forbes: Australian coal miner

- Terry Dunleavy: Kiwi Conservative party advisor, journalist and winegrower.

yes, eminent scientists all of them. I wont go on...

No, that wasn't my point at all. What I did point out was that 500 scientists have sent a letter to the UN headquarters where they claim that the global warming hysteria is a hoax. Not me.

I mentioned that this isn't anything you'll read about in MSM.

Feel free to prove me wrong. 

By the way, there are 188 Professors on that list. You fail to mention any of them. 6 PhD:s. 5 NASA engineers. 24 Physicists. I won't go on...

Edited by Forethat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

The same documentary that Wunsch himself says misrepresented his views. 

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2007/03/swindled-carl-wunsch-responds/

Potentially. But these are his own words (and I don't see how they can be taken out of context):

Carl wunsch is professor of oceanography at MIT. He was also visiting professor in oceanography at Harvard University and University College London. And a senior visiting fellow in Mathematics and physics at the University of Cambridge. He is the author of four major textbooks on oceanography. 

The ocean is the major reservoir into which carbon dioxide goes when it comes out of the atmosphere or to from which it is readmitted to the.. the atmosphere. If you heat the surface of the ocean it tends to emit carbon dioxide. So similarly if you cool the ocean surface the ocean can dissolve more carbon dioxide.

2 hours ago, Forethat said:

There are speculations in the news? I think the alarmists have accused scientists for exactly that for more than 30 years. So far I have never seen ONE ounce of proof. But feel free to change my mind by providing some.

That "documentary" has been debunked thoroughly over and over. Here's what the co chairman of the IPCC had to say"

Houghton rejected claims that observed changes in global average temperature are within the range of natural climate variability or that solar influences are the main driver; that the troposphere is warming less than the surface; that volcanic eruptions emit more carbon dioxide than fossil fuel burning; that climate models are too complex and uncertain to provide useful projections of climate change; and that IPCC processes were biased. Houghton acknowledges that ice core samples show CO 2 driven by temperature, but then writes that the programme's assertion that "this correlation has been presented as the main evidence for global warming by the IPCC [is] NOT TRUE. For instance, I often show that diagram in my lectures on climate change but always make the point that it gives no proof of global warming due to increased carbon dioxide

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Global_Warming_Swindle

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Forethat said:

Potentially. But these are his own words (and I don't see how they can be taken out of context):

Because he didn't say that this is the only thing going on with the oceans. The oceans are far from saturated with CO2. So even though as they get warmer they can absorb less, they still have a huge amount of capacity. They are still absorbing more than they emit. Over the course of time as the oceans continue to warm and grow more acidic their capacity to absorb CO will continue to diminish. 

And their claim that cosmic radiation is responsible for global warming and cooling has been proven to be nonsense. The latest solar cycles have seen decreasing activity which allows for greater cosmic ray bombardment of earth. That should result in global cooling. But instead the average temperature has been getting warmer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Forethat said:

No, that wasn't my point at all. What I did point out was that 500 scientists have sent a letter to the UN headquarters where they claim that the global warming hysteria is a hoax. Not me.

By the way, there are 188 Professors on that list. You fail to mention any of them. 6 PhD:s. 5 NASA engineers. 24 Physicists. I won't go on...

Wow 500 scientists and 188 of them are professors! I bet there were even a few climatologists amongst them. Clearly, being a "scientists" means you have extensive knowledge in all branches of science. After all, how much time does it take to understand the intricacies of any branch of science? And it's getting simpler all the time!

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Forethat said:

You mean like Professor Jeffery Foss who has a PhD in....philosophy! 

What are his climate science credentials? 

Your 500 scientists are vanishing before our eyes, a bit like the polar ice caps.

Edited by samran
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, samran said:

You mean like Professor Jeffery Foss who has a PhD in....philosophy! 

What are his climate science credentials? 

Your 500 scientists are vanishing before our eyes, a bit like the polar ice caps.

I believe you're barking up the wrong tree. It's not MY list. I simply informed you lot that they have sent the letter to the UN and I can't seem to find any media coverage. I also understand that every climate alarmist feels the need to discredit anyone who disagrees - "those who disagree are stupid" - but I think my point is more than valid: there is NO consensus with regards to the reasons for climate change.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forethat said:

He has specifically stated that he was misrepresented on the documentary and that it did not represent his views. 

He should know. 

29 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

He has specifically stated that he was misrepresented on the documentary and that it did not represent his views. 

He should know. 

Ok. But he's making a factual statement. It is impossible to misrepresent that statement.

“The ocean is the major reservoir into which carbon dioxide goes when it comes out of the atmosphere or to from which it is readmitted to the.. the atmosphere. If you heat the surface of the ocean it tends to emit carbon dioxide. So similarly if you cool the ocean surface the ocean can dissolve more carbon dioxide.”

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Forethat said:

I believe you're barking up the wrong tree. It's not MY list. I simply informed you lot that they have sent the letter to the UN and I can't seem to find any media coverage. I also understand that every climate alarmist feels the need to discredit anyone who disagrees - "those who disagree are stupid" - but I think my point is more than valid: there is NO consensus with regards to the reasons for climate change.

There is plenty of concensus produced by respect scientists and acknowledged by government, industry and the public at large.

There is a small fringe of people - like many like on that list - who have their own self interested agenda and go about promoting ‘whataboutisms’.

They are the equivalent of anti vaxxers and those very mislead people or those who subscribe to the theory that an alkaline diet will cure cancer rather than a proper course of chemo. They too claim that the science isn’t settled. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Forethat said:

Ok. But he's making a factual statement. It is impossible to misrepresent that statement.

Hmm, for some reason you appear to be ignoring the points raised on this quote by Bristolboy, now why’s that? Let me refresh your memory 

“Because he didn't say that this is the only thing going on with the oceans. The oceans are far from saturated with CO2. So even though as they get warmer they can absorb less, they still have a huge amount of capacity. They are still absorbing more than they emit. Over the course of time as the oceans continue to warm and grow more acidic their capacity to absorb CO will continue to diminish. 

And their claim that cosmic radiation is responsible for global warming and cooling has been proven to be nonsense. The latest solar cycles have seen decreasing activity which allows for greater cosmic ray bombardment of earth. That should result in global cooling. But instead the average temperature has been getting warmer.”

Care to respond to his point?

Furthermore, let me repeat my point that Carl Wunsch knows better than you what he believes and made it clear the documentary you are desperately quoting from, does not and never did represent his views on climate change. 

Edited by Bluespunk

11 hours ago, Opl said:

I hope that headline is wrong and she doesn't actually paddle in the klong- that could make her very ill if she's not wearing waders.

Edited by thaibeachlovers