Teenager Thunberg angrily tells U.N. climate summit 'you have stolen my dreams'

webfact

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

What is wrong about being angry about an issue you feel is affecting you adversely? Please define a "proper" way.

How do you know she is a figurehead? A couple of Asperger traits are searing honesty, and no interest in manipulating people. Has it occurred to you she is speaking for herself?

No, there are many search engines on the internet for making lists.

I have no doubt she is sincere, It's handlers and promoters who have no soul.

8 hours ago, Lacessit said:

You are missing the point. We need to develop renewable sources of energy. That's what all the science is telling us. That development is being deliberately obstructed by vested interests such as the fossil fuel industry. That's not religion, it's common sense.

AFAIK China is officially atheist. That has not stopped it from becoming the biggest solar panel producer.

Nein, nein, nein, nein. Renewable energy would be disastrous. I know, I'm the only person on earth saying this, but  unlimited, cheap energy would lead to massive economic growth, and too-much-too-fast growth is the problem. Limited energy availability has always been the only thing (along with limited food and water) that has kept humans in check. With limitless energy would come limitless possibilities for - everything. Food and water problems would disappear. Humans would swarm the planet like locusts. Nobody would be able to stop it, because if something is possible, it will happen.

We need urgently to put a cap on growth, not facilitate more of it.

Be very careful what you wish for.

7 minutes ago, pedro01 said:

I was quite embarrassed for her when I was watching the speech.

No actual emotion was witnessed, rather it was well-rehearsed faux rage. 

I imagine a lot of eyes were rolling in the audience. 

She was not lying or acting . She is angry , nearly burst into tears , but honest , as people ' suffering ' from her disease often are .

I think she just said what was prepared for this , she sometimes looked at her paper ... but it was what she wanted to say .

26 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

What is wrong about being angry about an issue you feel is affecting you adversely? Please define a "proper" way.

How do you know she is a figurehead? A couple of Asperger traits are searing honesty, and no interest in manipulating people. Has it occurred to you she is speaking for herself?

No, there are many search engines on the internet for making lists.

Anger is a spontaneous emotion - not something you turn on and off like a tap.

Her rage was planned, practised and fake.

7 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:

She was not lying or acting . She is angry , nearly burst into tears , but honest , as people ' suffering ' from her disease often are .

I think she just said what was prepared for this , she sometimes looked at her paper ... but it was what she wanted to say .

It was quite clearly well rehearsed.

8 minutes ago, pedro01 said:

It was quite clearly well rehearsed.

I see. So you would go before the United Nations with no rehearsal of a speech you were about to deliver.

But I forgot - Trump does that every day on Twitter.

27 minutes ago, JamesBlond said:

Nein, nein, nein, nein. Renewable energy would be disastrous. I know, I'm the only person on earth saying this, but  unlimited, cheap energy would lead to massive economic growth, and too-much-too-fast growth is the problem. Limited energy availability has always been the only thing (along with limited food and water) that has kept humans in check. With limitless energy would come limitless possibilities for - everything. Food and water problems would disappear. Humans would swarm the planet like locusts. Nobody would be able to stop it, because if something is possible, it will happen.

We need urgently to put a cap on growth, not facilitate more of it.

Be very careful what you wish for.

Or it could go the other way, those that first get real "renewables", say fusion, could develop new weapons and enslave the others, at the same time controlling the population with heavy suppression. That's what usually happens.

3 minutes ago, hyku1147 said:

Another possibility is that her Aspergers is being exploited. Namely, her requisite focus for proper expression could be interpreted as deep, genuine emotional pronouncement.

I don't think so, she's from Sweden, the ground zero of militant feminism and leftism. She's simply grown up in an environment that made her an angry evangelist.

1 hour ago, nobodysfriend said:

Just out on BBC - https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-49807745

" scientists will warn on Tuesday of alarming changes in the natural world, including melting ice and sea level rise beyond previous projections. "

" there were very clear signs that around the world people are waking up to the threat of an over-heating climate. "

" Pakistan, which has planted a billion trees in the last five years, pledged to add 10 billion in the next five. "

" Harjeet Singh, from the charity ActionAid, said: "This summit was supposed to be a turning point. But we have seen an exceptional lack of commitment from the biggest and richest polluting countries that continue to take trivial measures toward solving a life-or-death crisis. "

" She ( Greta Thunberg ) , and her colleagues announced they would take law suits against five nations on the grounds that, by jeopardising the climate, they were breaching the rights of children.

She is filing suit against Germany and France. Megalomania at its best.

10 minutes ago, zydeco said:

Why?

In the Netherlands environmental organisations won lawsuits against the government not doing its duties with regards to environment.

7 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I see. So you would go before the United Nations with no rehearsal of a speech you were about to deliver.

But I forgot - Trump does that every day on Twitter.

I would of course rehearse a speech. I would lay on fake emotional outbursts throughout.

What struck me about her speech was how Hitler-esque it was. There aren't many orators that get that riled up and shout at the crowd that way.  

MLK for instance was a great speaker that came across as totally genuine.  Go back at all the great speakers (not great people necessarily) and very few come across in this way - except that one notable German psycopath. 

Who cares what this annoying petulant little teeny puss-bag thinks ... so snowflaky to have a little girl lecturing everyone on the climate. Pass the barf bucket please, we are aware of the issue, go away. Maybe they could be more PC and have a disabled Islamic LGBT 14 year-old instead? Give me a sodding break.

19 minutes ago, zydeco said:

What's interesting is the 5 countries chosen:

Argentina, Brazil, France, Germany and Turkey

Yet these aren't the biggest contributors of greenhouse gasses. Sure, you could argue Brazil should be there because of deforestation but the ocean produces most of our O2. So maybe major sea polluters like Thailand should be in there. 

2016%20Country%20Emissions%20Percentages

16 minutes ago, pedro01 said:

I would of course rehearse a speech. I would lay on fake emotional outbursts throughout.

What struck me about her speech was how Hitler-esque it was. There aren't many orators that get that riled up and shout at the crowd that way.  

MLK for instance was a great speaker that came across as totally genuine.  Go back at all the great speakers (not great people necessarily) and very few come across in this way - except that one notable German psycopath. 

Comparing her speaking style to Hitler's. You've lost it.

5 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Comparing her speaking style to Hitler's. You've lost it.

Why?

I am not comparing her to Hitler - but the way she speaks. He was well known for his speaking skills and he also laid on similar emotions. 

I can understand you not thinking the comparison is accurate, in which case why not explain your thoughts on the difference. Tony Blair - also a great speaker - she's nowhere close to his style.

13 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

Actually, nothing could be further from the truth. It was her incessant debating with them on the subject that converted them to her climate change agenda. Many autistic people show signs of genious in a specific area. Greta has found her's. Her oratory powers are incredible, not for someone of her age, but for any age. When Greta steps up to the microphone, the world (including world leaders) sit foreward, hold their breath and listen. She can hold an audience like no one else. And, due to her autism, it's not forced, not rehearsed, it's pure Greta speaking directly from her heart.

Will it fade? Will she burn out? Who knows? Just sit and marvel whilst it lasts. Only a matter of time before she gets her Nobel Prize.

She's a messiah,a breath of fresh air.

20 minutes ago, TerryClarke said:

Greta is both right and also wrong about a lot of things things. But for me, the important thing is that her reach is global and people may start to change...

If it results in nuclear research finally moving to the new century, I'm all for it, as for any other new green invention or working measures in controlling the human population and deforestation. If, which I think is far more possible, it results in money being siphoned from taxpayers and companies for whatever bogus sentimental reason they happen to make up, sod it.

2 hours ago, chokrai said:

She can always get a role in Children of the Corn 2  Return of the Climate Loons.

"When haters go after your looks and differences, it means they have nowhere left to go. And then you know you’re winning!..."

- Greta Thunberg

1 hour ago, Sir Dude said:

Who cares what this annoying petulant little teeny puss-bag thinks ... so snowflaky to have a little girl lecturing everyone on the climate. Pass the barf bucket please, we are aware of the issue, go away. Maybe they could be more PC and have a disabled Islamic LGBT 14 year-old instead? Give me a sodding break.

Comments like these tell all one needs to know about the poster, and tell nothing about the child being attacked.

Archived